Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
LunaWolfe

Glasses! Oh Noes!

Ok so I've just started to wear glasses. I've never worn them before, and I'm starting to see why people don't like them. I like the way they look on me and such, but I have a dilema. Before glasses I would wear eyeshadow on my lids, and mascara, maybe eyeliner. But, I'm noticing now that the makeup is not being noticed enough. Anyone have any suggestions on this makeup issue?
LunaWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
maggot

Glasses suck. I'm supposed to wear them, but never do unless I REALLY need to.

In other words, get contacts, lasik[sp?], or only wear them when they're necessary.

That's all the help I can give you, as I don't wear make-up.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

My glasses are t3h r0xz0rz lolxz0rz
I'm not allowed to wear make up for two more months, though =p
Anyway, don't think of make-up; with glasses, the priority should be to think how to make your eyes more noticeable, especially with such pretty eyes like mine.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Lucretia_my_Reflection

i have to wear glass's for long distance viewing i suggest using deep and bright colors that will stand out and speak for them selves, glass's on guys are cute and on girls wear them and be proud ^^
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
maggot

It just occurred to me...

Were you enever given the whole spelling and grammar rant, L_m_R?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Draconysius

The only glasses I'd wear are those circular Ozzy/Lennon shades. They're aweeeesomeee.... Otherwise, not on your life.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot

no not yet, sorry i will care more about my spelling and grammar. My laziness has been broken someone had to do it.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
MotherofMercies

I've been wearing glasses since I was five. So one could say I am pretty used to them. I actually have to wear them all the time otherwise I suffer with headaches. But I would love to wear contacts but sadly contacts are way out of my budget. My suggestion is to wear darker eye makeup or maybe outrageous colours?
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
thedoll

i too wear glasses 24/7, but instead of bright colors on your lids try a deep shade of lipstick, and just eyeliner.

i have contacts as well and only wear them on special ocassions were i feel like super awesome make-up, worth a try?

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 AM   #10
xmorpheus

i'm a glasses 24/7 person - although after 20 years of wearing the bloody things, I've finally decided to go for Lasik!

With eye makeup, I just go as dark as possible - blue/black eyeliner/mascara and dark greys and browns for the eyelids. It's subtle but the effect is pretty dramatic. With contacts I would use less heavy colouring as my eyelashes are blonde and my skin is pale, so I normally have to go with dark browns to avoid the "Panda who's been in a fight" look!

Some of it is also going to depend on the lenses of your glasses. Do they make your eyes look slightly magnified? How do they refract light?

If you can, while you're getting used to it, try making up just one eye (obviously for testing purposes rather than a fashion statement). You can then take a look and see what the effect is against a "naked" eye. You might find that your existing makeup is more noticable than you think.
xmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:20 AM   #11
c130

Wear those slim frameless glasses if you're that concerned about people seeing your makeup. They're light and comfy and pretty close to invisible.

I personally prefer the heavy black 1950's horn-rimmed style glasses though, specially because they conceal my eyes, hehe.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
wishcat

I don't wear glasses, but I think I may need them. I've noticed that I'm having a hard time seeing things from a distance, especially when I'm driving.
I think glasses are cute, with the right frame of course. I have a question to those who do wear glasses and makeup. If you have long eyelashes, do they touch the lens of the glasses? And is that anoying? I pretty much only wear powder and mascara, and my lashes are kinda long. I'm kinda excited about the thought of wearing glasses, but the whole lash thing worries me.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:54 AM   #13
mrs.wes straker

If you want your eye makeup to be noticed behind your glasses create designs that are really dramatic and creative. Use makeup that won't smudge or smear when touched.
Hmph. I should take my own advice.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Cayca

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishcat
If you have long eyelashes, do they touch the lens of the glasses? And is that anoying? I pretty much only wear powder and mascara, and my lashes are kinda long. I'm kinda excited about the thought of wearing glasses, but the whole lash thing worries me.
That depends on the frame. If it holds glasses closer to your eye there is a possibility that your lashes would touch the lens (and smudge it if you wear mascara). You will see if you'll have that problem as soon as you go to buy them. I mean, you are going to try them on. Right?
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
Tin_Lizzie

Mascara always seems to end up deposited on my lenses. I used to have grannyglasses with a tint, so I wouldn't need makeup. I really hate my current spectacles - I let the optician pick them out (silly me) and now I think a white cane and wayfarers might be a better deal.
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #16
Graveyard.Crow

I always wanted the cat's eye rims
Old 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
Saddiction

You can try getting a rimless pair with anti-glare coating. I also wear glasses, but use contacts for club nights unless I'm feeling especially lazy.
Saddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot

THANK YOU. FINALLY.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
maggot

xD

Just doin' muh jawb, ma'am.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
Godslayer Jillian

What do you people think would make my eyes more noticeable with glasses?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #21
LunaWolfe

Thank you all for your advice on this. I'll have to try messing around and see what designs and such I can come up with and what looks good.
LunaWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #22
Dancing_in_rain

Well...considering that last time I didn't wear my glasses, I crashed into many objects and nearly got arrested for underage drinking, I have now given up pretending I can see without them. i'm practically blind. My suggestion would be, if your budget allows it, to buy two pairs of glasses. Get light pale frames to show off your makeup more and get darker and larger frames for when you're too lazy to put on special make-up. I've got black and red Alain Mikli glasses. The link is below. Some of the designs are downright boring, but if you go to a store where they sell his designs, you can often find some darker, classier frames. There is a good side to having glasses: if you've been crying or if you have bags under your eyes from lack of sleep, it's not as visible. Good luck and please, don't pretend you can see without your glasses when you really can't! It's really not worth the black eye from a badly-placed door.

http://www.mikli.com/
Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #23
Linen

I absolutely DESPISE glasses. I wear contacts now, and have for several years. My eyes started "going bad" when I was about 10, at which point I was *supposed* to wear glasses, but rarely did. Glasses frames give me a headache if worn too long, and I always thought I looked stupid in them (though hubby says I look like a sexy librarian in them LOL). I don't own a pair that are up-to-date anymore - I couldn't legally drive wearing them because my eyes are much worse now. I really should buy a back-up pair in case I have contact problems, but I'm so frickin' picky as to how they look.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #24
wishcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayca
That depends on the frame. If it holds glasses closer to your eye there is a possibility that your lashes would touch the lens (and smudge it if you wear mascara). You will see if you'll have that problem as soon as you go to buy them. I mean, you are going to try them on. Right?

Haha, yea of course I will have to try them on. I'll need to see if they look good or not. I supose if my lashes do get in the way, I'll have to get contacts. I just hope I'll be able to insert them. -.-
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #25
Minyaliel

I've had lenses since I was 11. Getting them in is not really a problem (although it might seemscary the first time), but keeping them clean is a PITA if you're a fan of eyeshade, like myself. It's worth it, though.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote