Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Empty_Purple_Stars

Libraries Have Books Bound In Human Skin

Some Of Nation's Best Libraries Have Books Bound In Human Skin

POSTED: 1:52 pm EST January 10, 2006

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Brown University's library boasts an anatomy book that combines form and function in macabre fashion. Its cover -- tanned and polished to a smooth golden brown, like fine leather -- is made of human skin.

In fact, a number of the nation's finest libraries, including Harvard's, have such books in their collections. The practice of binding books in human skin was not uncommon in centuries past, even if it was not always discussed in polite society.

At the time, the best libraries belonged to private collectors.

Some were doctors who had access to skin from amputated parts and patients whose bodies had gone unclaimed. In other cases, wealthy bibliophiles acquired skin from executed criminals, medical school cadavers and people who died in the poor house.

Nowadays, libraries typically keep such volumes in their rare book collections and do not allow them to circulate. But scholars can examine them.

Brown's John Hay Library has three books bound in human skin -- the 1568 anatomy text by the Belgian surgeon Andreas Vesalius, and two 19th-century editions of "The Dance of Death," a medieval morality tale.

One copy of "The Dance of Death" was rebound in 1893 by Joseph Zaehnsdorf, a master binder in London. A note to his client reports that he did not have enough skin and had to split it. The front cover, bound in the outer layer of skin, has a slightly bumpy texture, like soft sandpaper. The spine and back cover, made from the inner layer, feel like suede.

"The Dance of Death" is about how death prevails over all, rich or poor. As with many other skin-bound volumes, "there was some tie-in with the content of the book," said Sam Streit, director of the John Hay Library.

Similarly, many of the volumes are medical books. The College of Physicians of Philadelphia has some books bound by Dr. John Stockton Hough, who diagnosed the city's first case of trichinosis. He used that patient's skin to bind three of the volumes.

"The hypothesis that I was suggesting is that these physicians did this to honor the people who furthered medical research," said Laura Hartman, a rare-book cataloger at the National Library of Medicine in Maryland and author of a paper on the subject.

In most cases, universities and other libraries acquired the books as donations or as part of collections they purchased.

It is not clear whether some of the patients knew what would happen to their bodies. In most cases, the skin appears to have come from poor people who had no one to claim their remains. In any case, the practice took place well before the modern age of consent forms and organ donor cards.

While human leather may be repulsive to contemporary society, libraries can ethically have the books in their collections if they are used respectfully for academic research and not displayed as objects of curiosity, said Paul Wolpe of the Center for Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania.

"There is a certain distancing that history gives us from certain kinds of artifacts," Wolpe said, noting that museums often have bones from archaeological sites. "If you had called me and said these are books from Nazi Germany, I would have a very different response."

The Boston Athenaeum, a private library, has an 1837 copy of George Walton's memoirs bound in his own skin. Walton was a highwayman -- a robber who specialized in ambushing travelers -- and left the volume to one of his victims.

The Cleveland Public Library has a Quran that may have been bound in the skin of its previous owner, an Arab tribal leader.

Decades ago, the Harvard Law School Library bought a 1605 manual for Spanish lawyers for $42.50 from an antiquarian books dealer in New Orleans. It sat on a shelf unnoticed until the early 1990s, when curator David Ferris was going through the library catalog and found a note saying it was bound in a man's skin.

DNA tests as to whether it is human skin were inconclusive -- the genetic material having been destroyed by the tanning process -- but the library had a box made to store the book and now keeps it on a special shelf.

"We felt we couldn't set it just next to someone else's law books," Ferris said.

SOURCE
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
WolfMoon

I always wanted to grope someone while reading.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
That's what I want done with my skin when I die. That's really spiffy.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Wise Child

Well at least those librarians can say they've "dead" a good book lately! Hee hee hee... Ahem. Tough crowd.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Saya

.....Now all I can think of is the Evil Dead. And that book in Hocus Pocus. You'd think a book bound in flesh would have some morbid purpose, not memoirs or anatomy books or mortality lessons ^_^
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
Metatron

I think that's really more interesting than disgusting...you're holding a real piece of history.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

I fin it very amusing. Hope, no one finds this disgusting. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
WolfMoon

Ha, Jill made a funny!

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

hehe, really?
Yay, I'm not that serious!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
Ayase

Ah, sorry but I think it's disgusting. How'd you know that the skin didn't come from someone's buttcheeks or something? haha...
Ayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Hello, Ayase, haven't seen you before

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-14-2006, 06:21 AM   #12
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayase
Ah, sorry but I think it's disgusting. How'd you know that the skin didn't come from someone's buttcheeks or something? haha...
You're really going to bring it to that level?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #13
Needled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
Well at least those librarians can say they've "dead" a good book lately! Hee hee hee... Ahem. Tough crowd.
wOw. I feel like such a dork, but I've been laughing for the past five minutes from your post...lol. Something's wrong with me.

Ayase: If it was from someones buttcheeks, you could proudly let everyone know that not only are you reading a fine piece of literature, but a piece of ass as well. Go post in the "What Are You Reading?" thread!!
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #14
chocolatelove

*quivers* thats um.. ewy but very interesting.
chocolatelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

I think it's really neat. I can't quite place the feeling I get when I think about it, but it makes it seem more real to me.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Someone reading my dead buttcheeks.
That's..... interesting

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
Dracul Enyo

That's awesome. I'd spend an hour just touching them.
Dracul Enyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #18
winged_dreams

I think I would be morbidly fascinated by them.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #19
Ayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Would you rather they were reading your LIVE buttcheeks?
Definately! They can jiggle too.
Ayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #20
d0p3y

necronomicon anyone??

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

You do know Lovecraft's Necronomicon is not real, right?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #22
Lady Ravenna

I remember reading about that *searches through folder of collected occult related articles* Aha! I knew I clipped it out of the paper. That was so interesting. I wrote an article about it for my school newspaper. I'm the Editor of the A&E section...which no one writes in due to my flooding it with 'darker' articles. *sad face*

Blessings
Lady Ravenna
Lady Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #23
Enraged

Oh, that's why the covers felt a little weird, and I couldn't read it half way cause it smelled so bad too.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #24
Morpheus_Noctifer

I guess I'll have to get that PhD now, so I can get to examine books like this. But hey, that's the ultimate in recycling. Now as soon as we actually start grinding bones to make bread, we'll be on our way for some green meat.
Morpheus_Noctifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #25
Minyaliel

*laughs* Seriously... Wow, now I really need a fake ID or something to identify my being a PhD in morbid litterature or something...!
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote