Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
AshleyO

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need....

For everything else, there's Mastercard.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/...ne?sc=fb&cc=fp

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Saya

You cannot buy the revolution, but you can put it on your Marxcard.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Versus

Who said anything about revolution, Saya? You must love violence to bring it up so much.

SEE THAT EVERYBODY SAYA IS PRO MURDER.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
LaGs sKill

I'm for revolution, but when you talk about destruction, you can count me out.
LaGs sKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Versus

It's a difficult subject for some people. What do you define as destruction? Suicide bombs, sabataging bulldozers, and self-immolation are not the same thing, though we categorize all of them as radical methodology. I've never been so politically frustrated to think it's necessary to set myself on fire to express it, so I really cannot say what I would or wouldn't do when faced with many occurrences of oppression. I think it's really irresponsible to pretend like we're not human and are infallible from such heights in anger.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Versus

I think what you mean to say is "... But when you talk about to destruction (to deal with anything I can reasonably imagine relating to), you can count me out."

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Saya

XD hey Versus, ever hear of a band called The Beatles?

They're pretty underground though, you probably never heard of them.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Versus

The only Beatles song that I've heard and liked was Mr. McKinsey or something like that. You should explain. D:

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
Saya

They were quoting a line from "Revolution" by the Beatles.

We should watch Across The Universe, that way you can learn lyrics everyone knows but we don't miss a thing if we make out.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Versus

Fucking... Damn it.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
LaGs sKill

As a rule of engagement, I believe in non violent protest and demonstration. Destruction is aggressive violence (i.e., taking up arms against your oppressor). There are assertive non-violent means to gain condolences from the adversary, including hunger strikes and in some cultures self-immolation.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Alan

Now that the Beatles reference is a serious point of contention I'll contribute.
There's way more violence implicit in the day-to-day mechanisms inherent in this system than anything a brick thrown at a window could ever do.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
LaGs sKill

A brick thrown through a window is a violent and destructive act. Our oppressors instigate counter revolution through misinformation and using antics such as authorities posing as demonstrators. These posers surreptitiously work to bring the law enforcement, the riot police, into protecting the citizens and property owners by starting fires in dumpsters, turning cars over and breaking the windows of stores and shops.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
Alan

And you're afraid of that instead of the fact that the clothes you're wearing were probably made by a thirteen year old who works 14+ hours, or the fact that pretty much every chocolate you have eaten in your life has been the product of slavery?
real classy
Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
LaGs sKill

The clothes I wear for the most part come from thrift shops. Much of the other clothes I wear I make myself out of natural colored cotton, hemp and silk. My pea coat I received when I served two years in the U.S. Navy. I am conscious of my footprints in what I wear and what I eat. I put little GM stickers on food containers in stores that warn people about the dangers of genetically modified foods. I do not drink soda pop or other refreshments that use corn syrup. I am dark green.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
Alan

Good, so you're a hipster. Not one of those things in your post addressed any type of human suffering and instead you just parroted the neo-hippie wanking of organic foodstuff as if that would save the world.
Why don't you take up responsibility for the tens of thousands of deaths that are directly caused by the system that allows you to have the privilege of choosing between organic and genetically modified?
real classy
Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
Alan

I forgot something up there:
tens of thousands of daily deaths.
real classy
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
LaGs sKill

You seem to want to paint me in the most cliche terms you can bring to mind. So I can be excused by you as as Hipster, as a, "neo-hippie wanking of organic foodstuff." Well yeah baby! Paint me as a rope headed rainbow child stinking of patchouli and sage, but listen to what I write. Don't denigrate me because of your own biases.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
Versus

Or you could respond to what people say?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGs sKill View Post
You seem to want to paint me in the most cliche terms you can bring to mind. So I can be excused by you as as Hipster, as a, "neo-hippie wanking of organic foodstuff." Well yeah baby! Paint me as a rope headed rainbow child stinking of patchouli and sage, but listen to what I write. Don't denigrate me because of your own biases.
I asked you about the violence inherent in the system and all you did was respond as if to say that it's not your fault and thus it's not your problem.
Why else would you care to tell me that you only buy at thrift stores?
And we're speaking about violence and you gave me that crap about organic stuff and being one of those pricks placing stickers like that's real detournement.

What else can I call you but a hipster when you're just dickwaving instead of addressing the real question here? There's no bias here; from exclusively what you and you alone said you're either:
a) A hipster because you're trying to prove you're 'making a difference'
or
b) A hipster because you said these things to prove 'it's not your fault'

If what you're riling against is my hipster bias then fine, take out that word from those two options, replace it with 'person', and you're still left with you being a person dickwaving your phony street cred or a person pretending they don't contribute nor benefit from the current system in power.
real classy
Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Saya

Can anyone tell me when property damage and vandalism began being counted as violent?

I had no idea graffiti was petty assault.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
LaGs sKill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
And you're afraid of that instead of the fact that the clothes you're wearing were probably made by a thirteen year old who works 14+ hours, or the fact that pretty much every chocolate you have eaten in your life has been the product of slavery?
This is what you said. I responded with what I thought was appropriate. You did not ask me about what you stated was, "Why don't you take up responsibility for the tens of thousands of deaths that are directly caused by the system that allows you to have the privilege of choosing between organic and genetically modified?" But you don't know what I do or don't do toward these injustices.

If there was a thread by Alan asking, "What would you do for the tens of thousands of deaths that are directly caused by the system that allows you to have the privilege of choosing between organic and genetically modified foods?." I would answer you, or not.

What you do is make assertions and accusations like some troll with a senior membership.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
LaGs sKill

No Saya, property damage and vandalism are not violent confrontations unless someone is injured during their conduct. They are aggressive act promoted to get a response from authorities. They are not proper behavior in a nonviolent demonstration.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Alan

What part of that very thing you quoted me made you think an appropriate response would be that you're a granola activist?
I did not ask precisely about the violence inherent in today's system, but if you're going to save face by being a literalist, then I didn't ask anything even approximating to "do you eat healthy and buy at thrift stores?" so your response is still very hipster and inconsequential.
Not only that, but most people wouldn't think it's a good strategy to save face by pretending to be stupid enough that they would complain I didn't say the words 'the inherent violence in today's socioeconomic system' and that they get confused if instead I mention everyday examples.
real classy
Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
LaGs sKill

Perhaps I am responding like a hipster or in a fashion that you contribute to a hipster. Perhaps I am stupid, and as a result I could and can not see what you are badgering me about. So speak loudly! What is it about me, my life, my concerns, that you so desperately want to know?