Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Wednesday Friday Addams

US government wants to search for terrorists on WoW

"The Rogue in your next instance or battleground may just be a spy- not from the opposite faction, from the United States Government. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence submitted a report to Congress [Via Wired] on their plans to use data mining in virtual communities to root out spies. The project will involve sifting through vast amounts of data, looking for suspicious behavior and actions. The Intelligence Community wants to target MMOs because they typically fall outside the purview of study. The spying project would only use publicly available data. The findings of the endeavor would not be classified.

Data mining is the process of going through large amounts of information for specific relevant information. This is a process that has long been used in the business industry for product and market research. The government plans to use these same techniques to root out terrorist messages in online content.

The data mining operations that the report describes include Knowledge Discovery and Dissemination (KDD), Tangram, and Video Analysis and Content Extraction. KDD is takes information from different data sources to look for patterns. Although World of Warcraft and Second Life have very little in common, KDD allows analysis of similarities in suspicious behavior and activities in the game. VACE is also a tool for recognizing patterns in video content. Tangram is an evaluation system for known and new terrorist activities. The project will begin with a small effort, and if it proves fruitful may be expanded to a much larger scale.
Skinwalker of Windrunner started a thread on spying for terrorists on the official forums. He believes that this is an attempt to take away civil rights. Most of the responses in that thread have been either been echoing concerns about freedom or lighthearted jests. Aside from faction tensions, I haven't seen any evidence of extremist presence on WoW. To date, there has been no official word from Blizzard on this project"

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/02/23...to-search-for/
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
NightmareInShiningArmour

*facepalm*
Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
Maxim Macabre

As if they had more important things to put their resources towards...
Maxim Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
jack_the_knife

The Uk government are searching facebook for terrorists.

"Hey Al-Quaida, this is ETA, add me as a friend on Facebook."
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I think someone in the Intelligence business wants an excuse to play WoW at work.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
I think someone in the Intelligence business wants an excuse to play WoW at work.
Thats what I was thinking.

Boss: Johnson! Get back to work!
Johnson: I AM working! I'm SURE these Night Elves are terrorists! If I don't raid Darnassus THE TERRORISTS WIN.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
onedarkly1

LOL! Thanks for the laugh Saya.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
noveleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Thats what I was thinking.

Boss: Johnson! Get back to work!
Johnson: I AM working! I'm SURE these Night Elves are terrorists! If I don't raid Darnassus THE TERRORISTS WIN.
LMAO! That's priceless.

I had heard rumors that they were going to do this, but I didn't think they'd actually go through with it. Geez. I bet they're going to be kept busy by the role playing servers. You have guilds that pretend to be pirates and revolutionaries, among other things. It's going to be a disaster.
noveleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
Dead Angel

Try opensource SecondLife servers.
Dead Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
LiUsAiDh

*cops banging on door*

'GET OUT!!! HANDS IN THE AIR!!! YOU'RE ARRESTED FOR SUSPICION OF OWNING DANGEROUS EXPLOSIVES!!!'

'... But I'm a level 72 mage.'

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
My exact thoughts upon reading the article. Rofl.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
Mezon

I'm sure that it would be an information gathering that the US wouldn't expect....but I wasn't aware that the radical muslims in the area had internet, much less credit cards. o.O
Mezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
Jonathan

They should FUND terrorists playing World of Warcraft.

That game is the penultimate barrier to accomplishment. Hell, after spending a few hours Looking for Group and dealing with Barrens chat they'd be suicide bombing themselves at their pc's.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
noveleigh

When I played I'd turn off general chat. There was always too much shit on there that I didn't want to be bothered to read. I also got out of the newbee areas as soon as I possibly could.
noveleigh is offline   Reply With Quote