Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Saya

Star Wars, Homosexuality And You.

Quote:
BioWare take their Star Wars role-playing seriously. So seriously that the developers are shutting down talk on Old Republic's message boards about homosexuality, because it's a term that does "not exist in Star Wars".

Yes, if you care to trawl around the site, there are a few threads that either began as, or devolved into, discussion of how the game - or the game's future player base - would handle gay relationships. And those threads are now locked. A thread complaining about those threads being locked (along with the words "homosexual", "lesbian" and "gay" being censored on the boards) has now also been locked, with BioWare's community manager Sean Dahlberg posting succinctly:

As I have stated before, these are terms that do not exist in Star Wars.

Thread closed.

OK, but...they do, uh, realise that the people actually playing the game do not exist in Star Wars either, right? They're real people?
http://kotaku.com/5230325/there-are-...s-in-star-wars
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

Wow.
What the hell.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Yet it is ok for a sister to passionately kiss her brother? Riiiiiggghhhhhht.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Duane

Twice, too. Might have been thrice.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Schazmyrrh

They're probably doing it to, uhm, maintain the brand image of Star Wars. Marketing makes the world go round... well, even in the Star Wars galaxy, I suppose.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
RozzVanian

I WISH there were some gay relationships in Star Wars. Maybe Padme and her decoy going at it...

God, I can't get that out of my head now...
Who's that walking in the streets?
-Christian Death
RozzVanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schazmyrrh View Post
They're probably doing it to, uhm, maintain the brand image of Star Wars. Marketing makes the world go round... well, even in the Star Wars galaxy, I suppose.
And I meant the censorship of the gay threads and such... not the incest implications.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

I'm pretty sure there must be a story somewhere in the Star Wars universe about a near human alien falling in love with another type of near human alien.
Interplanetary interspecies love is alright but homosexuality is not even something people can fathom?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
If I remember right I think I read about in the first kotor that you're able to have a lesbian relationship. Also In Mass Effect you can have a lesbian/interspecies relationship.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Madarame

Yeah, your character was able to have a lesbian relationship in the first kotor game.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
If I remember right I think I read about in the first kotor that you're able to have a lesbian relationship.
Yeah, with Juhani I believe.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
Jack again

Hurrah for the most pathetically bigoted news I've read all day...
Jack again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #13
Beneath the Shadows

This should convince some Warsies to switch to Trek (if they're not already fans). In Star Trek, you can get some hot lesbian action. Hot alien lesbian action.

It don't get much better than that.

(Aww... smileys still don't work.)

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #14
Man In Room 5

I think you guys are missing something....like the whole Star Wars v. Star Trek thing. I'm guessing this was done to discourage people from developing alternate plot lines and Star Wars slash fic--as Star Trek fans have done. It probably wasn't meant as discrimination against gays but as an attempt to keep Star Wars from descending to the same level of geekdom that Star Trek has.

(Now, all of you who totally missed my point, feel free to flame me because you think I'm homophobic.)
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
Saya

Considering both the first three movies and the newer three movies had one major female character each, all those men must be lonely. Not the fans fault that its such a sausage fest. Besides, its a mmmorpg that they're talking about, not slash fiction.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
...an attempt to keep Star Wars from descending to the same level of geekdom that Star Trek has.
Yeah, they sunk to that level, and far beyond, a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away).

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
This should convince some Warsies to switch to Trek (if they're not already fans). In Star Trek, you can get some hot lesbian action. Hot alien lesbian action.

It don't get much better than that.

(Aww... smileys still don't work.)
I'm a fan of both. Also star trek might have symbiote possessed lesbian action, but star wars has hot tweileks, hot sith, and hot sith tweileks.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
PastMidnight

I loved Star Wars until they came up with the new books that continued the story to such a ridiculous predictable plot. Although there is more heterosexual love later than, first three episodes contained one female character, who by the way, looks more like a surf-board than a girl.
PastMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote