Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
SaucyFig

She came bearing figs

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm a commuting corporate drone that
has been assimilated but I haven't lost all sense of self yet.

2. Where are you from?
Originally? California. Live in Washington now. Why? Trees,
snow capped mountains, lakes, rivers, ocean and less dreadful
sunshine.

3. Who is your favorite author?
John Fowles, may he rest in peace.

4. What are your favorite films?
Orlando, Stigmata, Thirteenth Warrior, LadyHawke, Excalibur, The Hunger

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Flesh for Fantasy by Billy Idol. Gets me in the mood.

6. At your funeral?
The Pick-Axe Murders by Cannibal Corpse...no, I'm just kidding.
Odd...all I can think of is M by The Cure.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Silently, painlessly and in old age. No art or drama but I don't like pain
and I have a lot to do in this life.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Something hand painted with vines and other such vegetation as a
reminder that I am fertilizer and can make things grow (but not
mushrooms-I don't want to be that kind of fertilizer)

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Red Chinese dress with mandarin collar and slits up both thighs with fishnet
stockings and big black boots.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
That I still had my whole future ahead of me.

11. What's your favorite band?
Is Abba a band? Heh.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I was a Medieval Studies major. I love castles, whether I'm building
them in the air or not.

13. Why did you join?
For a sense of whimsy

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Femalian

Okay, that was time consuming. Hope someone stops in to say hello.
SaucyFig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Magpie_Tendencies

Welcome Saucy.

You seem intelligent so I think that you'll fit in here.

I happen to love castles too. I love the really old, massive ones - they are absolutley beautiful.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
Cicero

It is one of my most ambitious goals to one day reside in a castle.

Welcome! You seem interesting. I like the sound of your favourite outfit. And medieval history is my second favourite type of history. Castles really were the greatest dwellings ever invented.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
Nocturne

Hi,

it's nice meeting someone else who is interested in the medieval period What was your main focus? I majored in Medieval/Early Modern history some years ago - we don't have Medieval Studies here as a separate course, but I would have enjoyed that, I guess. I loved heraldry and learning about medieval every day life.
I always wanted to live in a castle when I was child - coming to think of it, I sstill like the idea. All those high ceilings, carved stone, and magnificent views.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:18 AM   #5
roserougesang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
It is one of my most ambitious goals to one day reside in a castle.
You could just save up a few million $, then move to Romania and buy Dracula's castle. But not if I beat you to it....not likely though *empties pockets* $2.40 and a squeaky bat toy, where will that get anyone?
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
SaucyFig

Thanks so much for the replies. We should all start an architectural revolution and get construction companies to start building castles for homes. But of course, there's nothing like the history of an original.

Nocturne, most of my courses were literature so I studied a lot of Troubadour poetry and things like Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Mostly around 1100 and mostly southern France. Not by choice as much as by availability of material. Good ol Feudalism and Courtly Love. I did have a great class called Romanesque Architecture where we studied churches. I would have taken Gothic but you had to memorize the details of dozens more churches and I wimped out.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
SaucyFig

Well introduction seems to have gone well enough. Might be time to wander the kingdom. I look forward to mingling with you all.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #8
crimsonjoy

Hello, welcome. Nice to know that others appreciate and love the beauty and history of ancient architecture.
crimsonjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:13 AM   #9
Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyFig
I would have taken Gothic but you had to memorize the details of dozens more churches and I wimped out.
That reminded me of one of our professors in art history - a nice man, but he expected us to be able to remember dozens of cathedrals down to the arrangement and number of the interior columns. A lot of people just listened to the lecture and wimped out of exams

'Good ol Feudalism and Courtly Love' sounds great, I didn't much get into literature, unfortunately. I remember a great course on heraldry and learning to read 12th century documents. History at my university was mainly about politics, religion, social history and economics, e.g. the Italian city states around 1450 or Europe during the Crusades.

We definitely need more castles - and troubadours!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
SaucyFig

Just for grins, here's part of the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales in Middle English

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Blushing Heliophobe

Every time I see your name, I hear a British accent in my head pronouncing you "a saucy minx!"...
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
SaucyFig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
Every time I see your name, I hear a British accent in my head pronouncing you "a saucy minx!"...
Ah, yes, Minx. That side of the family isn't generally brought up in polite conversation due to their cheeky activities. The Figs are much more respectable I assure you. *coughs*
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 AM   #13
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyFig
Thanks so much for the replies. We should all start an architectural revolution and get construction companies to start building castles for homes. But of course, there's nothing like the history of an original.

Nocturne, most of my courses were literature so I studied a lot of Troubadour poetry and things like Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Mostly around 1100 and mostly southern France. Not by choice as much as by availability of material. Good ol Feudalism and Courtly Love. I did have a great class called Romanesque Architecture where we studied churches. I would have taken Gothic but you had to memorize the details of dozens more churches and I wimped out.
My grandfather was quite the expert in Gothic churches actually... I joined him on many of his travels while he was writing his last book, and by the age of 8 had explored every single gothic church in Great Britain. I don't blame you for wimping out. As interesting as they are, after the first hundred they all tend to look the same.

A revolution in architecture would be wonderful! Even though nothing beats originals, it couldn't hurt to have a few new ones up just to bring down the market prices a bit. I could certainly benefit from that.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
SaucyFig

At least my house is 100 years old. Oh, wow, make that 101 this year. Craftsman style, not castle but it's solid and it has character.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #15
Nocturne

I looked up Craftsman Style and from what I've seen so far, I like it - if I got the correct pages; all wide gables, natural materials and white windows... I'd like that, too!
I live in a renovated flat in a totally non-descript ugly city centre building - smack in the middle of town, with a street car running past the bedroom every 10 minutes. But I can look out and see a beautiful old facade with lots of stucco decorations around the windows

The oldest house I lived in was about 100 years old, too - a villa with a garden full of old fruit trees, where I had rented two rooms with my then boyfriend. I was once offered to rent an apartment in a 300 year old house - no heating (well, a coal oven and a bucket to go with it), a common toilet in the hall, common shower room and no cooking facilities. The two rooms had beautiful wooden beams though and a medieval feel with all the thick walls and irregular angles. My boyfriend wimped out

Thanks for the introduction to the Canterbury Tales, by the way!