Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Opteron_Man

I got a sewing machine, any ideas for DIY?

I want to make some cool clothing and DIY. I thought a good start was to get a good sturdy sewing machine.

I bought a sewing machine at a thrift store. My first sewing machine.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/IMG_0210.jpg
I am going to DIY some clothes. But I don't really know anything at all about using a sewing machine. Any ideas that you can think of for a cool DIY clothing project,

would be greatly apriciated. :P
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
nis~sijai

To start off, you can try adding some patches to a jacket or a pair of pants to get an idea of how it works. If you mess up you can just get some thread rippers and start over.

I've managed to make some pretty neat-looking patterns with a sewing machine only using thread.
nis~sijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Opteron_Man

Cool, anybody else got any ideas?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
KontanKarite

...It's a sewing machine. o_0 I mean, you can make and practice on just about anything now. What are your ideas?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
PortraitOfSanity

You're always asking for ideas mate, it's much more rewarding if you come up with your own unique style. It's also called DIY for a reason....

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
KontanKarite

I've always wondered why he's always asked us what to do with himself.

I mean god damn. Do you need us to write you an instruction manual on how to be as goth as possible?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
PortraitOfSanity

He's insecure. It's not his fault, he just needs to be comfortable with his own style.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
KontanKarite

If he's not, then he needs to stop and re-evaluate himself.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Solumina

Start out with patches and repairs until you get the hang of the thing, then go on to alterations, once you get the hang of that you can move on to making your own stuff from scratch. As for specific pieces that you should work on: do whatever you want, the possibilities are pretty much endless.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Duane

I never paid attention to the Home Economics teacher, however just Google tips and shit.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Opteron_Man

KontanKarite and PortraitOfSanity, thanks. I appreciate you being so direct. The truth is; I am insecure. There is no denying that. It is obvious. Perhaps it may have come from a childhood where both my parents were so glum, negative, and disapproving with everything I did, never no matter how hard I tried. They still are today! But look at them, they are not the bigshots like the way they talk! Ha!
They were NEVER satisfied! Never ever! So judging of others but not themselves. I received a lot of shit at school from my “peers” too.
But anyways, this is today and that is the past. It is something I am trying to discard from myself.
When I do try something new, like makeup, or a new hat or something, I go out and I am so nervous that someone will laugh, and I am shocked when nobody does! But sometimes they do, and am shy, but I try to shrug it off anyways.
BTW, I haven’t taken a pic of myself in a long time, I look much different. My clothes are more elaborate and my hair is longer and I am thinner.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

That's good man, just get comfortable with who you are, people are going to judge you no matter what, so fuck 'em if they don't approve.

-Mr. Filth
Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Serren

Hey,

T shirts are fairly easy clothes wise and relatively simple to design.

I'd recommend just getting some scrap fabric to start with till you get control of the machine. I took some sewing/design classes.

I've never made clothes for a person with a machine tho I did design and make some dolls clothes.

At present I am hoping to design and make some goth cushions. They are very easy to make for a beginner, particularly if you use a fold at the back rather than button holes/ a zip.

Good luck with it :-).
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Solumina

Become a regular at your local fabric shop, the people there tend to have some pretty great advice for people of all skill levels, can let you know of any patterns that seem to be your style, and some places even offer classes that are very inexpensive and well worth the time and money.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
menus era sota

oh nice! it's made of metal (i think) seriously, well done on that.

well, you know about thread tension and the types of needles you need for different fabrics right?
and hopefully you know how to thread properly - good good.
here are just some tips you might need:

Firstly, i would suggest a bit of dusting outside and in - not too vigorous.

1.okay, on the right side of where the needle i are some lines - these are to help you sew straight so as you feed the fabric in try to align your fabric edge to it so everything stays straight. generally, sew so that you line up the fabric on the furthermost line, this is the standard and will give room for enlarging if you ever need it.

2. when you feed the fabric through and you are using pins, i would suggest to pin them perpendicular (so they face you sideways) to the fabric edge because then they are far easier to remove as you sew (don't sew over them!)

3. as you feed through the fabric, don't pull hard as it comes out the other end - this will distort your stitching. just lightly guide it onto the table. feed it through the front and keep at least one had on the side of the needle to keep everything straight. (in the beginning, don't worry too much about matching thread, it's not that visible anyway and you want to be able to see what you are doing)

4. when you start to use patterns, it's good to get familiar with all the jargon, (grain and tacking are good ones to learn first off)

and as a last tip, i don't know how good that brand is, and unless it's a bernina, don't go full speed or the engine will just crap out. also, when you are done sewing, there's a little blade on the back of the machine (above the needle) where you can cut your thread.

- hope that helped a bit.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Opteron_Man

Thanks for that advice everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
RavenHallows.

Aww, adorable. I'm not that good with ideas at the present moment but I've once found this site :
http://gothfashion.info/diy.php

I'm looking for a hand-operated (is that the word? a non-electrical one anyway) sewing machine myself, one of those about 50+ years old things that work for ever and have those darling little ingravings on them. With any luck I shall posess one shortly as well.
RavenHallows. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHallows. View Post
Aww, adorable. I'm not that good with ideas at the present moment but I've once found this site :
http://gothfashion.info/diy.php

I'm looking for a hand-operated (is that the word? a non-electrical one anyway) sewing machine myself, one of those about 50+ years old things that work for ever and have those darling little ingravings on them. With any luck I shall posess one shortly as well.
Thanks so mush Raven! That Long Vest looks realy nice and simple enough that I could do it. I will make that one!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
iroti

My mom was a seamstress and we have 5 sewing machines in the basement, one being a $2k Brother....but, they somehow are all broken or missing parts so I stick to hand sewing.

But, here is a good Gothic pattern site. It's for Gothic Aristocratic/****** type of stuff, but you'll have to skim through it since it is most girl stuff:
http://www.cosplay.janchan.com/patterns/gl/gl1.htm

However, they have some nice simple things that come out looking like they took a lot of time (I made some, hehe). It's good practice and gothic, despite the pink patterns. ^_^ I'm sure some girl would appreciate your labors, heh.

I had bookmarked and thought it would be appropriate maybe.
iroti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroti View Post
My mom was a seamstress and we have 5 sewing machines in the basement, one being a $2k Brother....but, they somehow are all broken or missing parts so I stick to hand sewing.

But, here is a good Gothic pattern site. It's for Gothic Aristocratic/****** type of stuff, but you'll have to skim through it since it is most girl stuff:
http://www.cosplay.janchan.com/patterns/gl/gl1.htm

However, they have some nice simple things that come out looking like they took a lot of time (I made some, hehe). It's good practice and gothic, despite the pink patterns. ^_^ I'm sure some girl would appreciate your labors, heh.

I had bookmarked and thought it would be appropriate maybe.
Looks good, thanks for the link and what you said.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #21
Shadows_Jukebox

Buy some old clothes you like the style of but maybe not the color or material, then unpick the seams and lay it on some tracing paper then cut out the shapes number the paper... find some new material you do like then go from there by laying down the cut out paper, cut out the material then sew it back together....

may I suggest start with trousers they are easier to do.
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
Opteron_Man

Yes, I am intersted in making something, pants would be nice.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #23
eternalcrimson

Last year as a part of the work crew for my college we worked in the costume shop.

To get us started with learning the learning the sewing machine we made bags as they are almost fool proof to make (As soon I get my camera working I'll post a pic of what it looks like).

Once you get used to simple projects is when you should move on to clothes like shirts, pants, etc and that's when you should move on to patterns.

A great place to get patterns if you are looking is McCall's. They have a bunch of great renaissance and gothic patterns. I made a lace and granett shirt that wasn't too hard to make.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #24
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man View Post
KontanKarite and PortraitOfSanity, thanks. I appreciate you being so direct. The truth is; I am insecure. There is no denying that. It is obvious. Perhaps it may have come from a childhood where both my parents were so glum, negative, and disapproving with everything I did, never no matter how hard I tried. They still are today! But look at them, they are not the bigshots like the way they talk! Ha!
They were NEVER satisfied! Never ever! So judging of others but not themselves. I received a lot of shit at school from my “peers” too.
But anyways, this is today and that is the past. It is something I am trying to discard from myself.
When I do try something new, like makeup, or a new hat or something, I go out and I am so nervous that someone will laugh, and I am shocked when nobody does! But sometimes they do, and am shy, but I try to shrug it off anyways.
BTW, I haven’t taken a pic of myself in a long time, I look much different. My clothes are more elaborate and my hair is longer and I am thinner.
Bro, i've got something you need to know. You're going to fucking die. When? No clue. You will. If you spend your entire life trying to gain the approval of people who don't mean a thing, you are going to waste your life. Put on some clothes that make you go, "Damn! I'd sure shag me." when you look in the mirror. If someone laughs, just smile knowing that the person will probably never have the guts to take a risk and be themselves. Oh, and fuck labels. Serious. If you want to walk around in bondage gear, do it. Don't care if someone calls you a poser goth. If you want to dress like an all black Indiana Jones, go for it.

As for the sewing. Practice. Just practice a ton, those machines are tricky little fuckers. You can always take a bunch of scraps of cloth and sew them together into sheets (use contrasting color thread). When you have a nice big sheet of cloth, you can make pants, which looks neat.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
Shadows_Jukebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Bro, i've got something you need to know. You're going to fucking die. When? No clue. You will. If you spend your entire life trying to gain the approval of people who don't mean a thing, you are going to waste your life. Put on some clothes that make you go, "Damn! I'd sure shag me." when you look in the mirror. If someone laughs, just smile knowing that the person will probably never have the guts to take a risk and be themselves. Oh, and fuck labels. Serious. If you want to walk around in bondage gear, do it. Don't care if someone calls you a poser goth. If you want to dress like an all black Indiana Jones, go for it.

As for the sewing. Practice. Just practice a ton, those machines are tricky little fuckers. You can always take a bunch of scraps of cloth and sew them together into sheets (use contrasting color thread). When you have a nice big sheet of cloth, you can make pants, which looks neat.
Go easy on him, to be fair when starting off in any subculture its diffcult to find yourself and to know what your comfortable with and Opteron is just a bit insecure also, I think its kinds cute how he asks for help. To be honest its not unusual he is asking for some advice on looks, makeup, clothes whatever... I guess from what information and tips he's been given he will manage to pull of an amazing style that he himself adores and will be admired for ^^. Just have some faith.
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote