Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
PorlNecklace

Reintroduction from Porl

Greetings all, I used to post here daily last spring, before vanishing to deal with personal issues, now hopefully, under control. So petty generics aside, here are my 14 questions.

1+2. I'm a 19 year old New Yorker; who obsessively collects books, music, old horror movies and video games, while entertaining immature delusions of grandeur. Metaphysics, mortality, sociology and taboo, being the topics I am fascinated in writing about, via either treatise or fiction if the former approach proves too cumbersome.

3. Niccolo Machiavelli probably posed the largest affectation on me as a child. My literary collection ranging from Medieval Grimoires, to Sci-Fi novels where William Burroughs describes acts of homosexual intercourse.

4. I mostly watch 70's to early 90's era horror flicks; which utilize atmosphere over atrocity.
ex) Dellamorte Dellamore, Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dead and Buried, The Stuff, Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

5+6. A combination consisting mostly of Goth, with some Glam, Punk, Electronic and New Wave/Romantics thrown in. As a sound junkie, my music collection clocks in at 70 gigabytes; including roughly 80ish different Goth bands, I loved enough to collect discographies for.

7. Young and spectacularly, preferably in a sabre duel.

8. Stone, and within a mausoleum if provided proper funding.

9. Hmm. I usually wear robes for comfort, but am also interested in Victoriana and crossdressing.

10. The heavily compressed perception of time, figuring year to lifespan proportions.

11. Rozz Williams, whom I've attached myself to emotionally, in some regards.

12. I'm a history major at Stony Brook University, currently studying to become a professor, per my default life path.

13. Post-Punk plus OCD led me here, oh, and crippling loneliness obviously.

14. I'm a boy, although I've not always wished that were the case. Transgenderism being yet another interest of mine, and related somewhat to my hiatus off the internets. (sexual harassment and failed romances, hooray!)

Conclusion Song
Balaam and the Angel- Sister Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArhsRT89AME
PorlNecklace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
CuckooTuli

Hey, I remember you!

How's that default life path working out for ya? After going a similar route (humanities, man... NEVER let your kids study humanities), I'm now split between day-jobbing, teaching and freelance writing. Some good advice would be to try and get a couple of things published in a decent peer-reviewed journal before you finish your masters, or even your bachelors degree, if possible; it's time-consuming, but well worth it if you're serious about an academic career in an area with such a surplus of graduates facing poor employment prospects. You need a thing, a secret weapon. You need to POP.

Welcome back!
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
PorlNecklace

Hooray for familiar faces!

Anywho, the default is running smoothly for what it is. And hopefully things will get more glamorous after undergrad., though listening to professors whine about their lack of status, to students often not worth their time, isn't entirely uplifting. Hence additional consideration in field school anthropology, although history will always remain my prime forte. Freelance writing being my get-rich-quick scheme, on account of idiotic idealism. (supersaturation, I'm aware) Though what subjects do you teach and write on then, between day jobs? Would love to hear more of your perspectives on such matters, as my upbringing was a bit too distanced from the real world. Oh well. v^-^v. Although I still think articulation and productivity are my main literary obstacles, before any focus on inevitable self-marketing. But thanks for the advice and re-welcoming!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
MissCheyenne

Hey, I remember you too. Welcome back Porl

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
PorlNecklace

Thank you Che! Shall lurk a bit, and see if the weird guys are still here.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Beowulf

Welcome back !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
PorlNecklace

Thank you Wulf
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Despanan

YOU!

Oh I've been waiting a long time for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
AshleyO

Ohitsyou.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
PorlNecklace

Yes, it's meee! So how are you bad dudes doing?