Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Shikenkan

Whitby Travel Guide

Ok so it goes like this, I want to go to Whitby Goth Weekend for the first time this year in November.
However, due to the fact I have never been I was hoping for some travel information from others who have been before.
I live in North Kent near London and will be using public transport.
In all honesty I'm hoping to find a travel partner but odds are slim.
If anyone has been before I'm hoping you'll post some details of good hotels and general tips on how to survive at the event.

P.S. I know there are threads about WGW however I need this as it is more personal and will hopefully produce more specific results.
Shikenkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
honeythorn

I go at least once a year to either the spring or autumn event, and will hopefully be going in November. I'm travelling from Birmingham though.

You need to go to York train station, and from there take the Coastliner bus into Whitby. The bus journey is over 2 hours but the scenery is nice. An open return bus ticket is about £15 ish if I recall correctly.

It's quite nice actually, just a big busfull of goffs and old people juddering along the moors.

You can go onto the Whitby goth weekend site for info on good hotels and B&B's. There is a facebook page also. I usually stay at the Riviera Guesthouse, it's nice, the prices aren't too bad, and it's literally staggering distance from the Spa where the main band events are held. The west cliff is a good choice if you don't want to have to walk far after having a skinfull !!!

There is a meetup on the Thursday? I think it is, for Whitby virgins, telling you the best places to hang out and drink and so on. It's a small town but with loads of twisty little streets, and getting lost is actually enjoyable.

There's the abbey to visit of course, and if you have any large and extravagant victorian looking outfits you will more than likely get constant requests of a picture, from the photographers who invariably invade Whitby to take photos of goths in all their varied attire.

Bothams Tea rooms is great, as is Sherlocks. Lots of little antique shops and so on to visit, loads of old fashioned sweet shops, there are of course some permanent goth shops there, as well as the stalls held in the various locations around the town. The main one is in the spa downstairs.

The weekend brings a lot of income to the town and guesthouses, so the locals are for the most part friendly, and I've always had a good time and ended up talking to random people all weekend when I go ( I go alone , don't know any goths here as there are none )

A couple of people on here have been, but I think I'm perhaps the only regular poster who attends..well regularly.

Hope you enjoy it, I always do
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Black Spiral Dancer

Thumbs up

If you can get a train to Middlesbrough, then there is a train to Whitby from there.

We go there every year, usually in both April and October.

We have decided to not go to the official Goth weekend this year as we never go to the main event. We have decided to go to the Hammer Horror "Bram Stoker Film Festival" which is being held the weekend before on Halloween weekend.

Hotels: If you want an apartment, try the Metropole Hotel on the West Cliff; if you would prefer a B&B, try the Lansbury on Hudson Street, jut behind the Royal Crescent.
Food: If you're after pub grub, try the Resolution on Skinner Street; for your tradtional night-out pizza/kebab shop type fair, try Bits n Pizzas on Flowergate; for afternoon tea, you can try Bothams (there are 2 branches) or Sherlocks on Flowergate (which is small, but has wonderful decor) or the Monk's Haven in the old town, if it is open; for a good fry-up, go to the Whistlestop Cafe at the train station; for a Chinese, I recommend the restaurant attached to the Metropole Hotel.

Pubs to visit: The Shambles in the old town, The Little Angel and the Elsinore on Flowergate, as well as the Resolution on Skinner Street. The Metropole also has a bar, and the Rifle Club next to leisure centre will probably be open.

Random places to visit: Try the Dracula Experience on the quayside, St Mary's church and the Abbey on the East Cliff (though I will warn you there are 199 steps up to there. I should know, I ran up them) If you can, pay a visit to the Mad Hatter's Tea Room on the West Cliff.
Black Spiral Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
honeythorn

The rifle club has the cheapest drinks known to humanity. How they manage to run a business I'll never know. I got slaughtered on black sambuca in there on the steampunk night last time *wobble*
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Black Spiral Dancer

The Rifle Club gets subscriptions from it's actual members (people that actually own rifles and use them on the firing range downstairs), so can probably get special members club discounts on booze. I remember a dj friend of mine was bought a pint buy someone at the end of the night and he had to drink it down in one as they were closing. After finishing it, he thought that was strange lager, only to find it was Old Rosie (a very strong scrumpy cider) and spent the rest of the night giggling and unable to climb the stairs to the apartment (he had to crawl up).
Any place that has Wychwood HobGoblin on tap is good by me. The Steampunk nights are always fun...
This is a picture of me at my friends stall from April just gone
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Black Spiral Dancer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
The rifle club has the cheapest drinks known to humanity. How they manage to run a business I'll never know. I got slaughtered on black sambuca in there on the steampunk night last time *wobble*
The staff at the Rifle Club are really friendly, and the young guy with the glasses is usually at Sexy Sunday and Manic Monday.

The SteamPunk hub is always worth a good look at. I remember that in October they did a "live radio show" performance which was hilarious. i wouldn't call myself a SteamPunk, but I do like some of the SteamPunk stuff and I'd never belittle someone for dressing as one (which I know for a fact has happened before, but I won't say where)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Black Spiral Dancer

Is anyone going next weekend? Should be fun.

If anyone is going to Manic Monday, look out for "Mr Crocker" that will be me!