Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #1301
Pathogen.

"Ali" [2001, Columbia]. Directed by Michael Mann. A biography flick depicting the life of Black Muslim boxing legend Muhammad Ali. Still in my Black History Month-mode when it comes to flicks lately. And "Stargate" was hella good! Saw that when it hit theatres 12 years ago.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #1302
WolfMoon

Walk The Line

Yes, I watched it. I liked it. I was interested in the guy, maybe I'll go buy a book or something. If not for certain members on here being such big fans, I might not have seen it. I'm glad I did.

*hums random JC tunes*
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:00 AM   #1303
Shi'ark

Saw... I think that it may be the best horror film of the last few year. Seen Walk the line the other week. Excellent.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #1304
TeapotScar

Stargate was amazing! I loved it. That movie made me want to watch the Sci-Fi Channel series. I mean, I didn't ever actually do it, but watching that movie made me want to. Classic "good movie"-ness.

I really liked Saw, too. A lot of people I talked with thought the theme was tired and told, like they did it similarly in Se7en and such, but I feel like Saw brought a whole lot of new stuff to the table, and I can't wait to see the sequel.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #1305
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Edward Scissorhands

This is one my favourite Tim Burton films, an absolute classic!

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
A modern day fairy tale which tells the story of Edward, the man created by an inventor, who died before finishing him and left Edward with scissors where he should have hands. One day when the local "Avon" representative calls at the historic mansion where Edward has been living alone, she takes him home to stay with her family. He has to adapt to the new life and environment that he isn't used to. Soon he shows a talent in cutting hair and hedges, and wins every body's heart. But life isn't always so sweet... (IMDB)
I think it's really funny that you felt the need to quote the IMDB plot-summary for us... on a gothic website. Next maybe you could post "The Crow"'s plot summary?

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #1306
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
Domino

I thought perhaps this movie had potential from reading it's description. Would have been better to watch the previews because that gives you a better idea of what to expect; rude girl with an attitude, ego, british accent, and pretty face. Makes for a long night of constant eye-rolling.

This film also shows you just how much to trust films that begin with "Based on actual events," especially when it deplicts a suicide bombing of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas by a Middle Easterner as having happened in the last 2 years or so. Mmmm'yeah, I don't really recall that ever having gone down. I'm not even going to touch the caricatures of people from Afghanistan either. And as though the insulting of your intelligence wasn't enough for two hours, the writer has the balls to end the film with a monologue by the main character as saying, "As for what is true and isn't true about this story, that's none of your fucking business!" It IS my fucking business, asshole. I paid to see this bullshit, so don't tell me to fuck off when I fell for your stupid ass marketing ploy of "based on actual events."

Seriously though, this was just a mind numbing headache through and through. Aside from the girl with the attitude problem and super ego, they throw in something you'd expect to see out something like say, the Matrix, about a total stranger (Tom Waits) walking up to Domino and spelling out what her destiny is (which is to be part of this "prophecy) based on all this shit he had no way of knowing and answering all of her questions about life (after he goes through this religious bullshit).

And to top it off, it was directed by Tony Scott, president of ADHD films. If you've watched "Man on Fire" with someone prone to epileptic seizures, you'll know what kind of bullshit this involves. Don't even bother feeding yourself or the kids their dosage of Ritalin, because they'd enjoy it much more without it. None of the shots throughout the movie can last for more than three seconds before entering a rapid sequence of 5 cuts that last a fraction of a second each and frame absolutely nothing in it's entirity. And then there's this flickering bullshit with the film exposure. It was enough to drive me into taking several tablets of advil... with 120 proof rum after watching it.

A FUCKING MEN!!!!!!!!!!

I want those Two Hours of my life BACK after watching it!!!

Could the plot have been anymore Schizophrenic??

Its an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography. It's an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography. It's an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography.

MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND!!!!!!!!!

Tony Scott takes what COULD have been an interesting story, and violates it like a Giant Herd of Horny Baboons!

And what the FUCK was with the Repeating of the Lines??

Is there an Echo? Echo?

FUCK!!

Equally frustrating is the fact that the film ignores interesting aspects of the real Domino's life. They completely ignored her battle with Pain Killers, which recently ended in her DEATH!! They flip flopped on her Sexuality, which is totally bogus. The list goes on and on.

Which is really sad, because parts of the cast are amazing Actors, and her story WAS an interesting one.

It could have been a great fucking movie..

It just wasn't..

Ugh..

*pours shots*
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #1307
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
I think it's really funny that you felt the need to quote the IMDB plot-summary for us... on a gothic website. Next maybe you could post "The Crow"'s plot summary?

Sorry about that TeaPotScar, I was`nt thinking... DOH !!! .
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #1308
Beowulf

Smile

Toxic Avenger

and

Toxic Avenger 2

Toxie: "I'm really the monster hero you've heard about and every day I go out and I mash people! I tear them apart and I can't stop!"

Troma Rule!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #1309
Manimal

Domino... bad movie... and the actress is so hot and they didn't capitalize on that. They showed her tummy like one time and the rest was so poorly cut I'm like "cute tight outfit yeah yeah... nope cant see a fucking thing."

I think there was a story or some shit too... I couldn't tell.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #1310
Binkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
A FUCKING MEN!!!!!!!!!!

I want those Two Hours of my life BACK after watching it!!!

Could the plot have been anymore Schizophrenic??

Its an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography. It's an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography. It's an Art Film. It's an Action Film. It's a Biography.

MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND!!!!!!!!!

Tony Scott takes what COULD have been an interesting story, and violates it like a Giant Herd of Horny Baboons!

And what the FUCK was with the Repeating of the Lines??

Is there an Echo? Echo?

FUCK!!

Equally frustrating is the fact that the film ignores interesting aspects of the real Domino's life. They completely ignored her battle with Pain Killers, which recently ended in her DEATH!! They flip flopped on her Sexuality, which is totally bogus. The list goes on and on.

Which is really sad, because parts of the cast are amazing Actors, and her story WAS an interesting one.

It could have been a great fucking movie..

It just wasn't..

Ugh..

*pours shots*
Yes... to like everything you said.

I almost forgot about the repetitious bullshit and the coffee can audio filter. "(Normal audio) My name's Domino Harvey... (coffee can audio filter) My name's Domino Harvey. (Normal again) And this is my story... (coffee can audio filter) And this is my story."

Apparently the screen writter called the editing "style" of Domino, "Punk Rock Fever Dream." Mmmmm'yeah. Sounds like the product of several bad acid trips. Did I say sounds like? The whole fucking movie looks like one big acid trip too.

But yeah, it would have been a great movie with A.) a different director, and B.) less of the Hollywood bullshit and more of the real Domino Harvey.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #1311
She_Is_My_Sin

I just watched Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes. It's a film that freaks me out at the possibility of another planet where apes rule. I've watched it before, but I didn't really get it then.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #1312
angleangel_doom

I never get time, so methinks it was The Little Rascals.
I love that movie. One summer when my brother was 5 I had to watch it EVERY day, so I could recite lines from that movie until we are all dead and buried.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #1313
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel29
I saw Ultraviolet last night.

I loved it as an action movie, the plot on the other hand was kind of...odd.

The effects were great and I want that technology. Plus, the referances to the World Wars was Terrific. I loved it!
Was Mila Hot???
Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #1314
OCD Insomnia

I last watched "The Crow". I enjoyed it.
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #1315
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD Insomnia
I last watched "The Crow". I enjoyed it.
Read the book this week. Very much recommended to all.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #1316
pitseleh

Wings of Desire or Der Himmel Über Berlin, as it's originally called, I think. Directed by the great Wim Wenders.

I've had this on my "to watch" list ever since Mr. Maelstrom recommended it a year ago or so, and only just got to see it yesterday. And boy, am I glad I did. I won't even attempt to describe all the things that are so fantastic about this film; I have neither the time or mental capacity for that right now. Suffice to say it encapsulates almost everything that's so sublime and mysterious about being human, thinking, loving, just being.

It meant a lot to me, especially right now. I have a feeling I'll see this film again soon, and then several more times, just to catch all the nuances I felt like I might have missed from the sheer impact of watching it the first time.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #1317
Queenofdarkness57

I watched Memoirs of A Geisha. It was so predictable, oooh and their shoes are hilarious!! * laughs out LOUD*
Old 03-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #1318
OCD Insomnia

Yes, that movie is very predictable, yet I liked it. I love their make-up and komonos(sp?). Although the book has different details than the movie(like any other).
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #1319
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD Insomnia
Yes, that movie is very predictable, yet I liked it. I love their make-up and komonos(sp?). Although the book has different details than the movie(like any other).
I just borrowed the book from my friend, but I wish I had read it before watching it. Is the book good?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #1320
Beowulf

Cool The Comedy/Horror of the Decayed

Evil Dead 2 `Dead by Dawn`

This film kicks ass, one of the best horror/comedies I`ve seen since `Braindead`.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #1321
Wraths_Hell

At first it was Final Destination 3 (I saw it on Saturday), but today I watched Corpse Bride. I really like that movie but FD3 was better. I *love* bloody movies ^^;;;
Wraths_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #1322
Pathogen.

*Kill Bill [Volume 2]. [Saw this 2 nights before]

*Jackie Brown. [long-ass flick, but well put-together]

[I love Tarantino.]

*Some 1937 Film-Noir flick set in 1914 where an English spy & his German lover seperate once WW1 starts. They meet again in wartorn Germany at a military hospital--on opposite sides of the war. Both lovers reunite, fall in love & secretly flee from their superiors--with the German & English armies on their trail.

[I forgot the name of it, but it was the 1st of 4 flicks being shown for a month-long Film-Noir screening at the City Club, located on the 10th floor of the Pacific Stock Exchange building in San Francisco. For 1 night, I got to see/enjoy surroundings that the rich enjoy all year round.]
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #1323
Loy

"The Hills Have Eyes"-(originally to go to my magazine, but I figured it wasn't good or prescient enough, so you get this leftover....yay)

The 70's were the Golden Age of American Cinema. With the culture clashes of the 60's still lingering on the public consciousness and the fall of the studio system, film-makers were given a whole lot of leeway to be creative. And the results? "The Godfather". "Apocolypse Now". "The Conversation". "The French Connection". "Duel". The entire ouvre of Scorcese, not just to mention the works of Paul Schraeder, John Milius, Walter Hill, the best works of Jack Hill, and Hitchcock's punch back into relativity ("Frenzy").

Along with mainstream films being riskier (than ever before or since), Horror Films during this time period were getting a lot edgier, a lot more self-aware, and a lot more intellectually based. This is why the 70's are also considered the Golden Age of Horror and Exploitation films. Even if one doesn't consider "The Excorcist" or "Jaws" in the equation, the low-budget field of the time has yielded a substantial amount of flicks that are classics in the field. In fact, with the low-budget area, the combination of amateur film-making, primal brutality, and existential dread provided for some cocktails with a kick like mules on speed. I dare anybody to watch, for example, "I Spit On Your Grave", and try thinking about bunnies and daisies right afterwards.

As a fan of the genre, I'm forced to look overseas more and more to find films capable of the same spiritual debasement that my worn out VHS and DVD collections have provided over the years. And now that "Asian Wave Of Horror" has become a convention, and Euro Horror is becoming too intellectually derogatory, I'm coming back full circle to this country, and what do I get in return?-Remakes and the "Saw" films-faux-exploitation flicks made for niches and market guidelines. No heart. No smarts. No truth. Nothing that (what in my mind makes for a great horror film) will fuck me up so badly that I'll not only suffer nightmares for weeks afterwards, but will ping-pong suicidal tendancies from my disenchantment of living.

With "Haute Tension", Alexandre Aja came out swinging as the savior of the grindhouse. Few films were as filled with moments of pure dread and terror as the first 2/3rds of "Haute Tension"....I'll get back to the last 1/3rd later. Knowing that Aja knew his shit, he was tapped to remake Wes Cravens masterpiece, and yet.....

OK, there are 2 problems. 1-it's a remake of an already perfect film, and 2-it's made with "average american filmgoers" in mind.

1-Wes Craven, the philosophy proffesor-turned-film maker, has made some great films that tapped his love for both philosophy AND film. From his debut film (a scuzzed out remake of Igmar Bergmans "The Virgin Spring" known as "Last House On The Left"), to the first and last "Nightmare On Elm Street" films, to "The Serpent And The Rainbow" to (a MUUUUUCH lesser extent) "Scream, Craven has crafted films that shock with their viscera and disturb with their underlying philosophical tangentings. And "Hills" stands head and shoulders as his greatest achievement.

OK, so the wardrobes will automatically date the film. What doesn't age into invalidity is how he was able to subtly have us consider the dehumanization of man (via the family unit, via social mores, via Darwinian survivalism, and via many, many other considerations
that I'd suggest boning up on your Kant, Lacan, and Kiierkegaard before even THINKING you can discuss it properlly) through a simple story (city folk vs. inbred hillbillies) and the sadistic brutality in how he tells it (one scene in particular-the **** scene).

Aja's "Hills", while upping the flying red stuff, lacks that very sense of detachment and intellectualisation that made the original so powerful, and thus turns a truly disturbing film intop a waste of $9. And this goes into....

2-let's face it, Americans don't know shit about movies. How many "Tim Burton is a genius" threads have popped up here over the years? Which film won the Best Picture oscar at the Academy Awards? How many people think "Saw" was a great film?.....And you're wondering why I think making a film with this crowd in mind is a bad idea? "This crowd in mind" is where that shitty ending that ruined "Haute Tension" came from....trying to appeal to a bunch of syncomphatic, self-obsessed, simplistically greedy jackasses who think that they're somehow "intellectual" because they had a book explained to them once (and considering that the "book" is usually something by Stephen King, I don't think that should even count) will ALWAYS ruin a good film.

Amnd yet it ends like this-"Hills" is crap, but you'll all go see it. You'll delude yourselves into thinking that you were "entertained". And you'll bitch about how crappy american films are nowadays.....let me make a suggestion. If you wanna know why so many Americna films suck, I suggest looking into the mirror. There's your answer. You go out to see shitty films, you refuse to demand something better, and you sit there basically fucking films up for those of us that do love it....thank god I don't have a gun anymore. I'd only be confused as to how many of you scum I should take out before I pull the gun on myself.....don't worry, suicide is a fate better than another Tim Burton film.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #1324
tenet_2012

What did you think of "White Noise"?

I just seen it and enjoyed very much. I thought it had a good story and had good actors.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #1325
Circle V

I just saw Lord of War. I liked.