Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #26
Delkaetre

Oh, I know WINE- handy little thing. I've not used it much myself, and from the page you link I'm not too sure how well the gog.com download version of Arcanum will adapt, but it's an interesting toy to have. Since it's not currently being maintained, it'll probably need some work- especially since the tests suggest it's not entirely happy on ubuntu variants. Workarounds are not always pretty things.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #27
Anarasha

FlowerGirl - Let me put this in the simplest way possible
Firewalls are NOT designed to keep vira at bay.
Firewalls are needed just the same, but for different reasons.
Anti virus software is designed to keep vira at bay, but it won't do the work of a firewall(usually, some do have built-in firewalls though)
You need BOTH for your PC to be just a little safe.
While a lot of vira might not fuck up your Mac, it will still send them on to others.
Let me put it in a way that is easily understandable:
If you take pregnancy controll pills but fuck without a condom, sure you might not get children, but you may still get sexually transmitted diseases. Some of them won't give you any symptoms, but you can still transmit them to others.
The optimal way to prevent kids and disease is to use condoms AND pregnancy control pills.
It's the same for a computer really. Browsing online without virus protection is like fucking strangers without a condom.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #28
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
FlowerGirl - Let me put this in the simplest way possible
Firewalls are NOT designed to keep vira at bay.
Firewalls are needed just the same, but for different reasons.
Anti virus software is designed to keep vira at bay, but it won't do the work of a firewall(usually, some do have built-in firewalls though)
You need BOTH for your PC to be just a little safe.
While a lot of vira might not fuck up your Mac, it will still send them on to others.
If you take pregnancy controll pills but fuck without a condom, sure you might not get children, but you may still get sexually transmitted diseases. Some of them won't give you any symptoms, but you can still transmit them to others.
The optimal way to prevent kids and disease is to use condoms AND pregnancy control pills.
It's the same for a computer really. Browsing online without virus protection is like fucking strangers without a condom.

Okay..I get it.
I'll wear protection when I have sex.

Thanks for educating me on Firewalls and Anti-virus softwares.
I found it really useful.
I'm really just a failure at computers...i apologize for annoying everyone in this thread (except for Random Havoc)
FlowerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine View Post
For the mac: get Little Snitch (costs money but worth every dime) as the firewall Apple provides is rather crappy (ofcourse, you could always install the great and venerable PF but that needs manual configuration that most people don't grasp) If you run a virtualization product and/or recieve a lot of Windows-aimed things in your email that you pass on to others, get clamAV (also used by Apple themselves in their server edition of OS X) so you can atleast scan them and not propagate any virii they may contain to your friends and co-workers.
Does Little Snitch work well for Mac OSX?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #30
vindicatedxjin

Kamehameha!!! yo'

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #31
Anarasha

No problem FlowerGirl =) If you have any questions at all, I will gladly answer.
Hey, this reminds me of a picture..
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #32
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
Haha. I love this - do you mind if I quote you on it?
People on facebook will love it.

That's a hilarious picture...reminds me of the Humping Dog USB for some reason =)
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #33
Anarasha

Go ahead :p
Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #34
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
And for Ben: Get Windows 7 if your computer can run it. It's fathomably better than Vista and is actually the first Windows I bought myself since it was actually worth the cost and is pretty much rock-stable. Vista 64 got better though, run it on a workstation at work and everything we threw at it works.
Thanks, good insight. Since I'm running pretty fabulously with Vista 32 right now, I'll probably just wait till the next laptop purchase to get Win 7, although I do appreciate the reduction in feature bloat. And who knows, talk is that Win 8 is scheduled for 2012 (with support starting mid 2011.)

Also, what's up with the name? After Win 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1 (?), we had Win NT, Win 95, Win NT 4.0, Win 95, Win 98 and 98 SE, Win 2000, Win ME, Win XP, Win Server 2003, Win Vista and Win Server 2008. Even if you don't count the corporate/business targeted releases, shouldn't the name be Windows 10 at this point? Anybody else hearing a Microsoft & math joke in their heads?

Quote:
As for myself, I went mac and will never return to Windows. For me, my Mac Pro is the dream machine and it serves my needs well.
About a third of the people I know in tech support that try a Mac run that way. More like Linux, though. I have no problem with anyone being happy with what they are using.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #35
Anarasha

I am actually considering going Ubuntu, I just need to read up on game support on it.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #36
Greg

What about virus protection i use firewall such as Protemac Netmine. I have Leopard and use it for protects against viruses.It’s helps me a lot.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote