Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
CptSternn

Arrow It's the people vs. the government, new poll suggests

I found this on CNN today, oddly enough. The title says it all, but it shows more and more people seeing the effects that the current administration in America is having on the people there.

It's the people vs. the government, new poll suggests

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/...ies&eref=yahoo

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- How do people think the Democratic Congress is doing after six months? Lousy. But better than the alternative.

It's midyear, and the Democratic Congress is taking a break. Well-deserved? No, say Republicans.

"We are now halfway through the first year of the 110th Congress," Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, said. "And there is no question that the failure on the part of the Democrats in terms of their midterm exam is really a letdown to the expectations of the American people.''

Democratic leaders are inclined to agree. "I'm not happy with Congress, either," Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said.

And the American people? Look at the grades. President Bush is doing terribly -- an average of 30 percent job approval in six recent polls. Congress is doing worse -- 25 percent on the average in five polls.

Why the low marks? Democrats point to one issue where not much seems to be getting done. "The war in Iraq is dragging down people's confidence in what's going on in this country," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said.

Republicans point to another issue. "One of the reasons that confidence is at an all-time low is because of the immigration bill," Sen. Jim DeMint, R-South Carolina, said.

So, are voters ready to change horses again and go back to a Republican Congress? Nope.

A solid majority says it's good for the country that the Democratic Party is in control of Congress. Even though they're doing a lousy job? Yes.

People think, OK, the Democrats aren't so great. But the Republicans are worse.

Just a bare majority of Americans now holds a favorable opinion of the Democratic Party (51 percent). But only 36 percent like the Republicans. That's the Republican Party's second-lowest rating in 15 years. Only in December 1998, when the Republican Congress voted to impeach President Clinton, were Republicans held in lower regard.

So Democrats blame Republicans. "The fact is that the Republicans aren't allowing us to proceed,'' Reid said. And Republicans blame Democrats.

A Web video just released by the National Republican Congressional Committee highlights what it calls "the Democrat majority's broken promises, abysmal record and rock-bottom approval rating."

But Americans are not convinced that changing parties will make much difference. The new dynamic in American politics right now isn't Democrat versus Republican.

"It is a sad commentary in America today that many Americans have lost faith in their government," Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Arizona, said. He added, "Americans don't believe that their government is representing them, is acting on their behalf. The polls show it."

The new dynamic is the people versus the government. The immigration bill is a perfect illustration. It was a bipartisan bill, supported by President Bush and by most Democrats in Congress. Why didn't it pass? Because the people didn't like it.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #2
Drake Dun

"The new dynamic is the people versus the government."

Funny. I thought that was a very old dynamic.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
KontanKarite

As it should always be. The government should reflect the will of the people, for better or for worse.

In the end, if it all came crashing down, there would be no one to blame but ourselves. So long as the government is actually working for their own goals and agendas and ignoring the pleas of the people, the government will always be at fault.

Then again, I still have to wonder if it was the will of the people to actually go to war with a faceless, formless enemy or not back in 2001.

It should have stopped at Afganistan I suppose.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Lapin

So leaving the country.

I ain't sticking around for when the second civil war breaks out.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
"The new dynamic is the people versus the government."

Funny. I thought that was a very old dynamic.

Drake
And.. "A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned."

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
CptSternn

I thought this article today was another prime example of this...

Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/...ies&eref=yahoo

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush commuted Monday the prison term of former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, facing 30 months in prison after a federal court convicted him of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to investigators.

... Polls suggest the American public may not be happy with Libby's commutation.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll taken in March asked if Bush should pardon Libby -- 69 percent said no, 18 percent said yes.

Once again bush doing what he does best - whatever he wants with no regard for law or the will of the American people. He acted on behalf of his own, with 70% of Americans opposing his actions, and once again tried to rationalise his actions.

It's safe to say he once again was looking out for the interests of his cronies and big business rather than the American people.

Also, expect some other politically charged story to surface in the coming days to draw away attention if this gets bad - I'm betting another round of gay marriage discussions or stem cell research will be hitting the airwaves soon to distract the masses of angry people.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Drake Dun

Apox on King George!

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #8
CptSternn

This is brilliant. Worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-eGOtBGbg
Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 AM   #9
Mir

It has always been the People vs. Government. Elected officials are rarely ever representative of what the people want/need.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote