Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
jupitercrash13

Hi, I'm Mary!

Hello All! my name is Mary, I just joined and wanted to say hi to everyone! Going to just run through some of the intro questions suggested because I am terrible at this sort of thing.
I am an artist living in New Hampshire, USA, but I am in the process or relocating to the UK for school and eventually I hope to become a citizen if I am able. I have a lot of hobbies including playing guitar and singing and I love to sew and knit.
If I get married the song I want to have at my wedding are Lovesong by The Cure. The Cure is my favorite band, except the most recent album, was not into that. I don't really care what is played at my funeral a lot because I'll be dead.
I joined the forum for networking purposes mostly. I realized that I do not have a lot of friends who are actually into the goth scene so I wanted others to relate to. I also do some writing for a UK publication that focuses on goth/alternative culture and do some PR work for it so I figured getting in touch with more like minded people would be helpful to me in my work there. Anyone interested in the site is welcome to check it out
Sphere Magazine there are some good reviews and interviews up there! And for anyone interested in seeing my artwork here is my site
I look forward to being an active part of this community and getting to know everyone better!
-M
jupitercrash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Saya

Pffft, 4:13 Dream was an awesome album! Makes me happy when I listen to it. Not my favourite, but it was still pretty good.

But welcome and I'll check the magazine out. Care to share what your favourite books and films are?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
jupitercrash13

I honestly just don't feel that it had the intensity and legitimacy of the older Cure albums, not saying it is devoid of all merit, I just prefer the older stuff.

As far as books go, I will read just about anything, but my favorites are Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice.

In terms of films I love Phantom of the Paradise and Harold and Maude, but I am always finding new stuff I am into so it all changes over time.

Thank you for the welcome!

Quote:
Saya Pffft, 4:13 Dream was an awesome album! Makes me happy when I listen to it. Not my favourite, but it was still pretty good.

But welcome and I'll check the magazine out. Care to share what your favourite books and films are?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Ophelia's Snorkel

Welcome, fellow Curehead. Nice to have you on the board, and I hope you'll enjoy the people you meet. Well, most of them, anyway.

I agree with you on 4:13 Dream. Actually, I haven't been incredibly impressed with a studio album since Bloodflowers or so, but they are the best live performers I've ever seen and their concert albums/DVDs are the next best thing. I'd honestly go the Deadhead route and follow their tour into every city, for every show, if I had time, money...and no actual life : )
Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
jupitercrash13

I am so jealous you have seen them live, I sadly have not had the chance. Last time they came near me the venue they were at was asking 100$ for the bad seats and I just did not have the funds. Someday I hope to see them, I have heard they are incredible live and based on the live DVDs of them I do have I am inclined to agree. I too would follow them deadhead style if I could afford to, that would be amazing, and a pretty fun excuse to travel besides.
-M
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Ophelia's Snorkel

Oh, I hope you do get the chance! I felt 12 again, and completely overawed, but I was enjoying it all far too much to feel embarrassed about that.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
jupitercrash13

I would probably cry all truth be told, I am a bit of an obsessive fan with them. The music has helped me through some tough times in my life and it means a lot to me. That or I would be giddy like a little kid of Christmas. Probably both.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Ophelia's Snorkel

Definitely both. And what a feeling that is!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
SiouxsiePernova

I could tell that you were very keen on The Cure just from your username. Welcome to the forum.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
jupitercrash13

thank you so much! Delighted to be speaking to someone who gets the reference! None of my friends at home do. heh
-M
Old 10-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
The Divine Ms. M

Hello and welcome! I hope you have better luck getting into the uk than I did lol. Anyway, that's cool that you work for a mag there I would love to do that...
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
jupitercrash13

It is a lot of fun, I can not do a whole lot since I am not conveniently located at the moment, but I do what I can with Sphere!

Also in reference to The Cure stuff I was going to share the link for a retrospective I did on them some time ago for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing. The Cure: A retrospective

I am hoping all works out with relocating. I am going as a student which tends to make the process a little easier.
-M
Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Stormtrooper of Death

Welcome and cheers!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
jupitercrash13

thank you so much! I am so excited by the enthusiastic welcome I have received here so far and I am looking forward to talking to all of you so much!
-M
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
Stormtrooper of Death

It's pretty nice here most of the time, people do have they're moments though.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
jupitercrash13

I think that is sort of a given on most forums, but so far I have not really encountered anything too unpleasant. I was a little nervous when I signed up because it can sometimes become a bit competitive on these sort of sites. I certainly am not trying to "out-goth" anyone and always got a little confused by attempts to do so. I am what I am lol.
-M
Old 10-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #17
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitercrash13 View Post
It is a lot of fun, I can not do a whole lot since I am not conveniently located at the moment, but I do what I can with Sphere!

Also in reference to The Cure stuff I was going to share the link for a retrospective I did on them some time ago for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing. The Cure: A retrospective

I am hoping all works out with relocating. I am going as a student which tends to make the process a little easier.
-M
I believe I'd read that before, only, of course, at the time I didn't know it was you who had written it. That was a very nice, detailed article - I enjoyed it. You did well summarising each album and managed to follow the various line-ups of the band without getting bogged down in rumour or sensationalism. It also came off as particularly professional, now that I know what a fan you are!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
jupitercrash13

Thank you so much! I spent a lot of time on writing that because I am a big fan and I wanted to be sure I was as accurate as possible. The line-up changes were probably the hardest to keep track of because there have been so many, but I felt it was important to include at least the major ones. Took me a couple of weeks to actually complete. I am glad to hear that someone has enjoyed it! makes it worth while to have done.
-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
I believe I'd read that before, only, of course, at the time I didn't know it was you who had written it. That was a very nice, detailed article - I enjoyed it. You did well summarising each album and managed to follow the various line-ups of the band without getting bogged down in rumour or sensationalism. It also came off as particularly professional, now that I know what a fan you are!