Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: Goth.... Born or Made....
I believe a person is born gothic in nature.... 74 54.81%
I beleive a person metamorphs or evolves into a goth..... 61 45.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #176
††BlackRose††

I believe that someone has the tendencies to have "gothic" personalities that they are born with that may get heightened with time and the experiences that they go through.

For example the literary brilliance and artistic skill of someone makes me think that they could have been good goths, but for whatever the reason may be, it didn't happen.

I have always held pretty strong philosophical beliefs and creativity as a child, but when I went through the experiences that I did, it helped me appreciate what the music was saying. For example, my sister went through roughly the same experiences as me, yet she doesn't like the whole gothic scene, she actually likes hip-hop and rap.

Well the differences between her and I were pretty evident and clear ever since we were kids. I used to be the one with my head up in the clouds writting little stories while she never really did that.

I don't want to say that oh this is why I'm goth... I'm not even saying that I am, I just want to say that is why I have an appreciation for the culture. I believe this is the most intelligent subculture out of all of the other music-related subcultures.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #177
KontanKarite

I disagree. I don't think goth is the most intelligent subculture. I think, as a regular person, you kinda got to look at art for what it is and try to see the genius in it. Even Eminem has his moments of genius. Alas, the musical subculture I enjoy the most would be the goth one. But I've also seen the goth version of what some would consider to be the "I gots the money and I gots the hoes" kind of music. There is, sadly cookie cutter goth music out there. Just campy, unimaginative, and unoriginal, always mopey and always trying to come off as deep, secretive, and darkly "emotional".

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #178
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
No one is born a goth in my opinion. You are born as nothing more than a pinky bluish, blood covered squalling bundle of life and flesh. A baby . End of.

Certainly we all came across goth, in one form or another at some point in our lives ( I bitterly regret that mine wasn't sooner ) and thought something along the lines of " this is for me, I can really relate to this, I love it , I want to absorb it " . In short, everyone is made goth. Even if your parents were the gothest of the goth and Peter Murphy was your favourite uncle, you would still be made a goth, through having been shown things, experienced things, and obviously, heard the music. Even from a young age. Before the exposure to goth, you were a child/teenager/person who listened to/was whatever ect..

No more than that.
I'd agree with that the most. Some people have the potential to be goths, but whether they do or not depends on what they're exposed to. I think 'made' is a too strong a word, but we certainly aren't born.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #179
Graveyard.Crow

What if you were goth in your past life? EHHHHH?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #180
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideJade
i was born with a goth mentality, but i wasn't allowed to dress the part until i became an adult..
same here.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #181
biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Made goth. I went through a period when I was a mallgoth before I did the research, heard the music, and fell in love with it.
Same here. But I was originally interested in the mall goth by free will.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #182
Godslayer Jillian

You are born as you are; you are indoctrinated as they want; you become as you feel you should.
I was born with high intelligence, I was raised to be the perfect son by my parents, the ultimate scientist by my professors, and the next Christ by my real teachers.
Nothing in that had anything to do with the gothic subculture. Hell I didn't even feel I identified with the gothic subculture further than the music when I had an idea of what it was; I just grabbed the name and decide to shape goth to be me rather than the other way around.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #183
katterfly

Nicely put, Godslayer.

I tend to believe born goth, though. I want to say that I was at least seven years old when I discovered I was "different." I never really was one to play with the other neighborhood kids (considering I lived on a dead end with a graveyard just around the block), and I always spent my time daydreaming or playing dress-up with my younger sister. Although it took me ten years or so after that to accept my weird nature, part of me today realizes I was this way all along. It just took me emotional scarring and that final push to grow the balls to be labeled as "abnormal." Sure, my mom doesn't appreciate it, and I lost a lot of friends, but I believe that my embracing of the "strange" has gained me self-respect and a spine. Personally, I couldn't be happier being so odd. :]
katterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #184
Underwater Ophelia

I think it's really really REALLY stupid to say you were born goth. A. No, you weren't born liking Bauhaus. You weren't born liking anything. Even if you were, it's impossible to tell. B. You weren't born wearing corsets and cyberlox and torn fishnets. Even if your parents dressed you like that, it's impossible to tell if you liked it. C. You weren't born liking goth poetry, art, prose...etc. Even if your parents read it to you, it's impossible to tell if you liked it.

If you think you were born with a "darker" way of looking at things, that's stupid too. You weren't born that way, and even if you think you were, you can't possibly prove that, even to yourself.

If you think you were actually BORN goth, you're lying to yourself.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #185
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I think it's really really REALLY stupid to say you were born goth. A. No, you weren't born liking Bauhaus. You weren't born liking anything. Even if you were, it's impossible to tell. B. You weren't born wearing corsets and cyberlox and torn fishnets. Even if your parents dressed you like that, it's impossible to tell if you liked it. C. You weren't born liking goth poetry, art, prose...etc. Even if your parents read it to you, it's impossible to tell if you liked it.

If you think you were born with a "darker" way of looking at things, that's stupid too. You weren't born that way, and even if you think you were, you can't possibly prove that, even to yourself.

What she said.

(I have to admit that I love the logic you use in most of your posts. It's damn attractive.)

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #186
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
What she said.

(I have to admit that I love the logic you use in most of your posts. It's damn attractive.)
Well thank you so much.
I'd blush, but I'm too unfeeling.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #187
Bete Noire

Quote:

Yessssss *applauds Ophelia*
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 AM   #188
ShadowDoll

Truth is...

The human mind is too tainted to ever know, "are we born a 'goth' or become a 'goth'?"

All that most people see and believe, are based on stereotyping. Most people brand others according to taste in music, clothes, and personality;

If your depressive and wear black, your a 'goth'.

If you self-harm and wear drain-pipes, your an 'emo'.

If you wear a low-cut top, your a 'slut'.

If you have glasses and braces, your a 'geek'.

And so on.

How can you be born a 'goth'? What makes a 'goth'? Music? Clothes? Personality? Interests?

If your personality, the only attribute out of the above you are born with, defines you as a 'goth', then people are now stereotyping personality. We can change tastes in music, clothes and interests. We can even change aspects of our personality. Manipulate everything about ourselves, as a result as trauma, of your own accord, or to please others.

All I can say is, I'm not a 'goth'. I wear the clothes, I listen to the music, I have the 'dark' interests. But I was born a me and I will die me. Who is the real me? No one knows apart from myself, as there is always a side of you no one will ever see. Apparently I'm weird enough to be a freak, but I've also been told I'm too weird to be a freak. I don't care. There are things untapped in our minds that others don't see. That's what I was born as. And you can't stereotype it as anything.
ShadowDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #189
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDoll

All I can say is, I'm not a 'goth'. I wear the clothes, I listen to the music, I have the 'dark' interests. But I was born a me and I will die me. Who is the real me? No one knows apart from myself, as there is always a side of you no one will ever see. Apparently I'm weird enough to be a freak, but I've also been told I'm too weird to be a freak. I don't care. There are things untapped in our minds that others don't see. That's what I was born as. And you can't stereotype it as anything.
Actually, yeah you are. Just because you're a goth doesn't mean you can't be other things. You can be both emo and goth. You can be a slut and punk. You can be a slutty goth. You can be a geek and a slut and a goth.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #190
ShadowDoll

Well actually...

Quote:
Actually, yeah you are. Just because you're a goth doesn't mean you can't be other things. You can be both emo and goth. You can be a slut and punk. You can be a slutty goth. You can be a geek and a slut and a goth.
That's stereotyping me for the things I like and listen to, which is why this entire society fails in life. It's hard enough trying to find a job, when all the employer's do is judge you for the way you look.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #191
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
That's stereotyping me for the things I like and listen to, which is why this entire society fails in life. It's hard enough trying to find a job, when all the employer's do is judge you for the way you look.
That's not what they do at a reputable establishment.
And I'm part of this society, and I do not fail.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #192
ShadowDoll

Quote:
That's not what they do at a reputable establishment.
And I'm part of this society, and I do not fail.
Everyone judges people by the way they act, look and dress. People in the different 'cliques' judge others because they do not share a common factor in likes or appearance.

And also, although the fact 'you do not fail' is optimistic, is all also stuck-up.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #193
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Everyone judges people by the way they act, look and dress. People in the different 'cliques' judge others because they do not share a common factor in likes or appearance.

And also, although the fact 'you do not fail' is optimistic, is all also stuck-up.
...how is it stuck up that I don't fail? I do things well, and take pride in what I do. Sorry if that isn't your attitude, but I won't be lumped into your failure.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #194
ShadowDoll

Quote:
...how is it stuck up that I don't fail? I do things well, and take pride in what I do. Sorry if that isn't your attitude, but I won't be lumped into your failure.
Everyone fails at some task or aspect of life. Its human nature. And if you don't, then that means your the perfect person. But no ones perfect. I take pride in what I do, doesn't mean I don't fail at other things.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #195
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
your the perfect person.
I'm glad you noticed!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #196
kimaru

I was definately born this way, I was doing gothy things before I even knew what goth was...like when I was six and wore a black wig and eyeliner all week...and I would sneek away to the towns cemetary sometimes...
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #197
crucifix

Quote:

If your depressive and wear black, your a 'goth'.

If you self-harm and wear drain-pipes, your an 'emo'.
I wear drainpipes and wear black all at the same time and I AIN'T FUCKING EMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agh. I know it isn't a big deal at all in the slightest, but I got called an emo the other day just based on my pants and it drove me crazy. I guess it was just because people were stereotyping me based on my pants. Ugh.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #198
ShadowDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
I wear drainpipes and wear black all at the same time and I AIN'T FUCKING EMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think its 'emo', but thats how most people stereotype, which I think is stupid.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #199
Lolly PopMuzik

"Born a Goth" theory and touting it as an escapist lifestyle in a non-joking manner=Instant try-hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimaru
I was definately born this way, I was doing gothy things before I even knew what goth was...like when I was six and wore a black wig and eyeliner all week...and I would sneek away to the towns cemetary sometimes...
Good goff, whoop de shit, +5000 bat mana for you! *plays victory music from Final Fantasy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
Agh. I know it isn't a big deal at all in the slightest, but I got called an emo the other day just based on my pants and it drove me crazy. I guess it was just because people were stereotyping me based on my pants. Ugh.
Well, not everybody realizes that you're not so it's just redonkulus to expect people on the street to pull out some subcultural almanac just they can know what name to call you.

Okay, I realize that this is goth and all but do those of you who voted for the former always take yourselves so seriously to the extent of believing you were born this way?

(Yes, I know I answered my own question but I just want to see what everyone else says)
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #200
suture-self

Ah the classic nuture vs. nature debate.
I say nature.
suture-self is offline   Reply With Quote