Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: What do you think of Tartan?
Love it, love it, love it.... completely inspirational *claps* 12 37.50%
BLEURGH, TARTAN! Who the hell decided tartan belonged in Goth fashion? 7 21.88%
Can't say I hate it...can't say I love it....but I'm a person that loves their taffy...mmmm 7 21.88%
Tartan? wasn't he that jungleman in that movie? 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #26
Nardol

Not all tartans should be considered family. If you research you will find that many cultures use very similair patterns for general clothing, and even in scotland there are tartans which represent for example, military units, such as the Black Watch and HM 42nd Highlanders.
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #27
thetiesonyourcorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiesonyourcorset
i have a black/white/grey tartan skirt! i used to own 2 tartan skirts when i was little,i hated one at the time i probably loved it though but one of them i love!

i'd love more tartan stuff,i love it! there is a tartan dress i want,it's gothic and punk at the same time,CLASSIC!! i'd also love a denim skirt with a wee bit of tartan on it if there was such a thing,but i dunno if there is!
This is the Tartan Dress i was talking about
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #28
SilentScreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Although I got too much attention (sometimes the 'wrong' attention) from the clothes I wore a few years ago, I didn't give fuck what others think. Those who judge me based on what I wear are morons.
Your my fuckin hero, you know that?
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #29
WolfMoon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiesonyourcorset
"I'l go even further and say that tartan only belongs in clothes worn by people of Scottish descent WHO CAN IDENTIFY THEIR CLAN AND ONLY WEAR THEIR CLANS' TARTAN PATTERN." now imagine you were talking about pizzas!! it's being hypocritical because Pizza is Italian yet you eat it (people that aren't from italy)!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Did you know that pasta was originated in China?
I don't think it's very hypocritical. See, Mael is part chinese(or is in a lil chinese?), so he can safely eat chinese as well as italian food. BTW, if you eat a salamander, you're a hypocrit! Mael's people were raised from them, doncha know?

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #30
thetiesonyourcorset

I'm a proud owner of my first ever tartan corset well my first corset just happens to be tartan, i love tartan stuff now i used to hate it when i was a kid except i did have this blue grey and black skirt and if i didn't like it at the time i do know when i look at this picture of me wearing it,i wish i had it now in a bigger size, of course,lol

*Blowing a kiss all over the world* Aren't i nice?
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:30 AM   #31
Vampyrekisses

I really like the tartan corsets.

Years ago use to wear the tartan mini skirts as well. Although probably to old for them now
Vampyrekisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #32
Elder

Were I work, it gets hot. They won't get aircon for the staff, it is all used for the servers.

I asked about wearing shorts. They said, no, against the dress code.
So I asked about a skirt/kilt (being male). Unfortunatley they have to let me do that

Last summer it was back to rain to quick.
But as it is warming up I've started Ebaying already. Should look good with big boots.

On the question of tartan. If you can trace your clan, and can find it, wear it.

But all people who can claim scots descent can still wear a tartan.

I can wear Gunn tartan from my Fathers side, and strangely from my Step grand-mothers side, or I can wear Stuart from my Step Fathers side. Or I can choose to wear the generic Royal Stuart (or Scots tartan) that all scots are allowed to wear in allegiance to the Scottish monarch.

A tip for those who decide to choose a tartan based on family or clan.
Hunting variations are plainer colours, antique variations are darker, and simpler patterned, dress variations use the brightest colour variations and patterns for "show" events like balls, and shows.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #33
Elder

I think a more suitable one for me might be a ice Black watch regimental tartan kilt.

Should help keep the essential temps down arround the bits that need it.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #34
Somber Illusions

I have a tartan skirt, which I sewed black lace and added chains. There isn't a law stating that punks can only wear tartan, wear what you want, and stay original.
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #35
maggot

Dude, tartan is hideous. I don't like plaid-type thingies. But those tartan Lip Service bondage pants are pretty hot, I must admit.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #36
Cicero

I quite like tartan, though that could be my Scottish-ness talking.

It isn't like it exudes the image of either punk or goth, for me it only makes me think a moment of highland cows and bagpipes (not to mention excellent food - and I'm not being sarcastic here). A nice reminder of the true homeland with little connection to any subculture.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #37
Elder

Just remember, modern tartan and the current clan setts are all relatively modern anyway. It was Sir Walter Scott and the whole romatic movement that started it off, prior to that tartan was purely used by the regiments, as it had been illegal for many years, after the uprisings and during the clearances. It was used as a symbol of defiance by the highlanders.

So, if you have any kind of romantic or rebel pretentions in your image, as well as being an extremely practical garment, a kilt suits that perfectly.

Oh and I can agree with you on the food. It might not be the healthiest, but Square sausage, butchers black pudding, plain bread and potato scones are great. If I was to wash it down with Iron Bru, that would be my childhood at breakfast time, at my Grandmas house when we would gather for new year.
And haggis is something you just have to try. Many people are put off by the thought of the ingredients. But Haggis, neeps and tatties, or Haggis on toast. Fantastic