Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:29 AM   #101
ExistentialDisorder

Personally I've never understood the all-consuming fascination with harry potter. I've seen the first 2 films and now the most recent - what is it, 4 or 5?

I just don't get it. Maybe if you're 10, or younger, then its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but what the hell? Why do so many adults drool over this? It's not even written very well and is usually rather predictable. But then again, considering the mentality of the average adult these days, I should not be surprised.

A friend of mine has predicted that by the final book, mr. potter shall meet his maker. hmmm, we can only hope.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #102
Wise Child

I can see your point a little about the films, which aren't spectacular (and I hated 4), but I love the books. They're entertaining and just kiddie enough to be comforting, but there is some intelligent humour in there as well. I also love most of the characters. And some things are a little predictable, but most of the twists catch me by surprise. (C'mon - who KNEW Pettigrew was Scabbers?!)

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #103
Natasshha

I LIKE HARRY...... i think he is cute!!!!, If i were Hermonie, I would tell him that I like him stright up!!!!...
I saw all the movies so far.... I DO NOT LIKE TO READ THOSE HUGE BOOKS!!!!!, gives me a headache!!!!.

But i like it, i cant wait for the other movie.

Nati
Natasshha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #104
Natasshha

Like what?
Natasshha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #105
succubus,queenofvampires

I love Harry Potter a lot.I've read all the books and seen the movies a million times...
Btw,NyQuil of Doom,you like just like Snape!!!
Anyways,I heard that J.K.Rowling started writing her book in January 06.I hope she won't take much time since I'm DYING to know what's going to happen.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #106
succubus,queenofvampires

I got Ravenclaw on the Sorting quiz.What did everyone else get?
Someone has posted the link before,but anyways here it is:
http://sortingquiz.chronosdesign.com/
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #107
sensuous0mar

I got gryffindor. I rawk?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #108
Wise Child

I'm Griffindor. Cool.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #109
Queenofdarkness57

Cool

I liked the movie, but i thought it was too long. There was a lot of suspense ( I haven't read the book ) but I believe it could have been summarized. I love Hermione, she's so cool and Ron's brothers are SO HOT! hehe
Old 02-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #110
Iriacynthe

I love the books, but I don't really like the movies. When I read a book, I form my own vision of how the characters have to look, and somehow, the movie-version just isn't right. Like Ron, he doesn't look like the Ron I know from the books. In fact, his whole family looks wrong. And Harry's aunt isn't nearly as horrible as she should be.

I almost lost faith in mankind when I read the halfblood prince. How Could He?
I wonder what is wrong with all the hot Harry Potter-men. One dies, one is evil, and one is a goddamn werewolf. Why can't they just be nice, normal guys?

Woohoow, I'm a Hufflepuff.
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #111
Circle V

I always thought that Hermione was hot, both in the books and movies. I'm still young enough to be allowed to think that.

I'm a Ravenclaw. So's Xnguela, apparently. Perhaps she already mentioned that.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #112
JuliaGaltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofdarkness57
I liked the movie, but i thought it was too long. There was a lot of suspense ( I haven't read the book ) but I believe it could have been summarized. I love Hermione, she's so cool and Ron's brothers are SO HOT! hehe
Read the book and you'll understand why it was so long. They left sooooooo much out as it is. I understood but was dissapointed at the same time.

I wanted them to at least to a lot more about the Quddich(sp?) World Cup and what ensued.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #113
pixisticks

have you been on the afishal web site? i toke the sorting hat quiz five times and i always came out a slitheren. which is fine because i think snap is hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i not joking.
i love how the books are getting darker and darker i can't waight for the new one.
dose any one think that snape and the head perfesser planed that as a fake killing? in order to sneak up on lord voldermort.
i think because snape knows so much about dark majic he might know a way out of that unbrakable promis that he made with malfoys mom.
pixisticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #114
pixisticks

hemony dosn't like harry she likes Ron!
or is just that if you where her it would be different?
pixisticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #115
Circle V

Um... someone else take this. I'm not in the mood.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #116
Lone_Freak

Harry Potter can kiss my ass and go back to hell where good little faggots belong.
Lone_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #117
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Freak
Harry Potter can kiss my ass and go back to hell where good little faggots belong.
I just cannot wait til you get into the REAL WORLD and use words like '******'.

Too bad we won't be there to enjoy your comeuppance.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #118
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
The book is ALWAYS better than the movie.

I own the French copies of the books, and the translation is well-done, from what I can tell.

This is what libraries are for!
Really??Because once I started the French copy of Chamber of Secrets at my cousin's house and it was a bit boring and the names are weird.....
They call Snape Rogue!! hehe
Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #119
Queenofdarkness57

Yea, I know that, my friend was next to me, she was always nagging about how summarized it was. Isn't it a shame that Harry Potter is going to die in the last book? *sniffs*
Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #120
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofdarkness57
Yea, I know that, my friend was next to me, she was always nagging about how summarized it was.
Oh,the memories....hehe
Old 02-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #121
Iriacynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus,queenofvampires
Really??Because once I started the French copy of Chamber of Secrets at my cousin's house and it was a bit boring and the names are weird.....
They call Snape Rogue!! hehe
I've only read the Dutch version, and those names are totally different too. Snape is just called Sneep, so that's pretty obvious, but Dumbledore or what's his English name again is called Perkamentus. When I first heard somebody say Dumbledore, I had no idea whom they were talking about.
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #122
succubus,queenofvampires

Check out what I found:

"Source: HPANA

Harry Potter 7 will be released July 7, 2007.

At least, it should be. While this date has no doubt already crossed the minds of many fans, JK Rowling's recent revelation that "2006 will be the year" she writes the final book lends itself entirely to this theory.

That, and it is the biggest stroke of magical marketing luck so far this century. The book simply can't not be released on 07/07/07. It's too perfect.

It just so happens that July 7, 2007 is a Saturday. It just so happens that every Potter book since Goblet of Fire has been released on a Saturday (presumably to allow kids and their parents to attend those midnight release parties without undue hardship). It just so happens that July 7 falls right in the traditional June-July release window during which the other books were released. (Finally, while less relevant but still interesting, 12:00 a.m. on Saturday will be 7 p.m. Friday in the U.S., where the most Potter books have been sold to date. Fans on the east coast, already lined up to buy their copies, will see book 7 released across the pond at 7 p.m. local time - what a coincidence.)

Rowling has hinted at the significance of the number 7, most recently in August when her official site's Wizard of the Month was an arithmancer who discovered the number's magical properties. In Half-Blood Prince, it was revealed that Lord Voldemort had made seven horcruxes (himself included). Quidditch teams have seven players each. Gryffindor Tower's entrance is on the seventh floor at Hogwarts. The list goes on and on.

I can see it now: the biggest marketing campaign in the history of publishing, with one very short, very simple, very effective message: Book 7. 07/07/07. Woe betide the marketing departments at Bloomsbury and Scholastic if they don't clinch what's obviously the most perfect storm of circumstance, desire, product and marketing the world may ever know.

Not that the book needs to be released on any specific date, though. As one of the planet's most successful authors, Rowling probably has the luxury of turning in a manuscript no sooner than when she sees fit. Fans will line up when told to. And it's up to her editors and publishers to polish, prepare and print it. One last consideration, from a business standpoint, is to make sure the next movie doesn't interfere or overlap (and Order of the Phoenix is rumored to be due out in summer 2007). Unfortunately, July 7 will also be the two-year anniversary of the London terrorist bombings (thanks to a site member for pointing that out).

No true fan would begrudge Jo for taking her time. But I must wonder if she also feels this coincidental "aligning of the fates" is something special, something magical, something to take advantage of. As a fan, I can only hope she does. As a fan, I hope every day she finishes the book tomorrow and we get it next month.

I also hope Jo doesn't find this whole thing absurdly presumptuous. I hope she realizes it's our duty to poke and prod and ask and beg and whine and plead. How would that be any different than the last five years?

We certainly wouldn't want to disappoint her.

UPDATE: Lest there be any confusion (which I see there is), this is only a theory! JK Rowling has made no formal announcement about the release date yet. I have added a sentence to the beginning which should make that clearer. Sorry for giving anyone a heart attack."

Well,if that's the case then we still have a LONG wait.....
510 days left...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #123
Ash60988

I love harry potter i'm a huge fan. Both the movies and the books are really good i just goth the new harry potter movie on dvd harry potter and the goblet of fire and i have not yet to watch it but i heard that one as well was also good. i love alan rickman he plays professor snape really well.
Ash60988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #124
belle hawk

i'm also a huge fan of Harry Potter and i agree it will be a good marketing if they realese it on 7th july.I can't wait for it but knowing that there won't be any other really pisses me
belle hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #125
ExistentialDisorder

Sort of OT, but in the same ballpark as harry potter. Are any of you fans of the book that that little kid wrote about the boy and his dragon hatchling? I don't remember the name at the moment, or the name of the kid that wrote it, but he was pretty young. There have been one or two sequels to it since its original release, from what I understand. The impressive part about it to me was that he was only somewhere around the age of 12 to 14 when he wrote the first book, and went the self-publishing route at that. Now, it seems his success with it is growing in comparison to harry potter. or so I've read. I wish I could remember the name of the book now. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here knew of it, or enjoyed it at all.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote