Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #301
Ben Lahnger

I'm partial to Papillons as far as dog breeds go ...

One of these days, when I can afford to get mine in for a grooming, I'll show you just how cute Corky can be!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #302
Corpsey

Now those sorts of dogs are adorable.

On that note....Nerd Reference

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #303
Saya

Papillons are gorgeous! I think overall corgis are my favourite, but I think when I'm able to adopt a dog on my own, I'll get a grey hound.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #304
Solumina

There are an awful lot of greyhounds that need a loving home, and they make surprisingly good apartment dogs as they are fairly low-key homebodies most of the time.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #305
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Papillons are gorgeous! I think overall corgis are my favourite, but I think when I'm able to adopt a dog on my own, I'll get a grey hound.
Why a grey hound?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #306
Hyaena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
There are an awful lot of greyhounds that need a loving home, and they make surprisingly good apartment dogs as they are fairly low-key homebodies most of the time.
You might be better with a lurcher. Greyhounds get very very highly strung and bored, same with whippets. Lurchers are a bit bouncier/friendlier/more personable (mostly) although both need a fair bit of walking/running.
Hyaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #307
Saya

yeah, I kinda figured greyhounds have a lot of energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Why a grey hound?
There's a greyhound rescue that comes to St. John's every so often and shows off their dogs, and they'll ship a dog to you, costs about 400 bucks I think but they're rescued from race tracks AND THEYRE SO CUTE.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #308
Hyaena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
yeah, I kinda figured greyhounds have a lot of energy.
I only meant they're not the home-body-est of dogs.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #309
Solumina

They have bursts of energy, as long as you take them somewhere that they can run flat out like a good dog park they are pretty content to just lounge around for the rest of the day (I think the Italian ones are a bit more high energy but I'm not super familiar with them) and a lot of them are more like cats than dogs. Ex-racers take a bit of time to calm down a bit as they have been trained to be very high strung but the breed isn't naturally like that. A guy in my building has a pair of them and if I meet him in the hall and we stop to talk for more than a minute they just kind of curl up around his feet and sometimes even take a nap while we talk, it's adorable.

Also make sure that if you decide to adopt one that you meet with him or her as much as possible before you decide to adopt as, unlike many breeds of dogs, they can take a little while to let their personality really come out.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #310
Hyaena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
They have bursts of energy, as long as you take them somewhere that they can run

and a lot of them are more like cats than dogs.
They're also very rarely destructive around the house or anything, except when they've for whatever reason had a shortened run (when they can be right buggers). Much easier than collies and poodles and calmer than terriers and bijons.

From the greyhounds I've known in 5 years of pet-related work, they seem gentle and intelligent and they're not stubborn like bassets and scent-hounds, which is a definite bonus! Also, they're not snappy and cantankerous like whippets.

The only times people really seem to have problems with them is in situations with kids, because they're not usually very good with busy and noisy environments, and being manhandled by scrotey kids is enough to rub anyone up the wrong way :P

That and if they've got a strong hunting instinct they sometimes go for cats and small dogs, though it's reasonably unusual. Which also means that letting them off the lead can be a bit dodgy because the one moment a greyhound is going to ignore your commands is when the prey instinct takes over.

With ex-racers they're usually crate-trained so they are quite happy doing nothing for long stretches, which works quite well if you need to leave them, and means they won't chew your house/apartment to pieces whilst you're out, and as Solumina says they're quite happy with one big run a day, and then just lounging around for the rest of it.

If you get an adult dog, I'd start with joint-care tablets pretty much straight away, cause they can get VERY stiff in old age, and using the tablets pre-emptively works much better than waiting for the problem to manifest. Decent tablets will have Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM, and the really really decent ones have green-lipped mussel extract, which if you can find it, is definitely the most potent way to do it
Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #311
honeythorn

Quote:
I think overall corgis are my favourite
I never really used to have a favourite breed until our last dog Peggy. She was a Pembroke Corgi, and frankly the best dog I have ever known. She had to be put down in February this year . Seriously though that dog was practically human and did some fucking hilarious stuff.

I think the following has to be one of my favourite corgi pics ever. SO CUTE.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/20E3fH...the-beach.html
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #312
Saya

Thanks, Hyaena! Its not going to be for a few years, I think, I need to figure out what I'm doing after I get my BA, and where I'll be, don't want to have to move to a place that won't allow dogs or ship the dog here only to whisk it across the country. Don't know if my landlord would be cool about it, she was fine with Jess (chihuahua) but she was old and just wanted to be held all the time XD

But I appreciate the info, I'll remember the tablets and check back again when I'm ready to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I never really used to have a favourite breed until our last dog Peggy. She was a Pembroke Corgi, and frankly the best dog I have ever known. She had to be put down in February this year . Seriously though that dog was practically human and did some fucking hilarious stuff.

I think the following has to be one of my favourite corgi pics ever. SO CUTE.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/20E3fH...the-beach.html
EEEEEEEE
Old 09-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #313
wolf moon

My family was a foster home for greyhounds throughout much of my childhood. They're so sad when they first get taken out of racing - skittish, scared of everything, often covered in bald patches because they're kept in cages so often all their fur rubs off. They'd stay with us about a month before they'd be listed on the rescue registry... nobody would ever want them right away. They turn around quickly though; they're incredibly sweet dogs. And there are definitely plenty out there that need homes.

At present, I really, really want one of these:

For perspective:

wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #314
Versus

A dire wolf would be pretty cool, yeah.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #315
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
My family was a foster home for greyhounds throughout much of my childhood. They're so sad when they first get taken out of racing - skittish, scared of everything, often covered in bald patches because they're kept in cages so often all their fur rubs off. They'd stay with us about a month before they'd be listed on the rescue registry... nobody would ever want them right away. They turn around quickly though; they're incredibly sweet dogs. And there are definitely plenty out there that need homes.

At present, I really, really want one of these:

For perspective:

How is showing a pic of a husky giving perspective on a German Shepard/Malamute mix?

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #316
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
How is showing a pic of a husky giving perspective on a German Shepard/Malamute mix?
It's not.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #317
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
A dire wolf would be pretty cool, yeah.
I think a dire wolf might just eat my face off.

Puppies snuggle!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #318
honeythorn

*squee* http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1qa75m....com/1knse.jpg
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #319
Grausamkeit

Awwww....teeny turtle! ^_^

Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #320
CyberShadowdancer

Tarman is the cutiest ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql4Oo...eature=related
CyberShadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #321
AshleyO

That's god damned retarded. This is about cuteness, not zombies.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #322
Grausamkeit

Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #323
Grausamkeit

Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #324
CyberShadowdancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
That's god damned retarded. This is about cuteness, not zombies.
sorry Miss Judgemental...but I find zombies cute, this post about what cuteness yes... will then posted something I found was cute.. one is retarded is you.. bi-bye
CyberShadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #325
Grausamkeit

Dude, zombies are not cute. Do not try to win points by taking on people that can whip your ego into pudding...