Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Saya

NATO Summit

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune...y-pictures/#23

I think my favourite is the old woman with the walker, although the Veterans For Peace are a close second. Anti-war combat vets during the Vietnam protests would return their medals in protest, there was a great protest outside the White House where they would throw their medals over the gates.

Oops, that might have been Congress. Ya'll buildings look the same to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIi4cVOrgyg
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Versus

I don't like war.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
AshleyO

That's pretty awesome.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Saya

Footage of the vets returning their medals at the summit: http://www.democracynow.org/2012/5/2...ar_us_veterans
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
AshleyO

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Versus

I feel that the second video of veterans at the NATO summit is in really bad taste.

My first problem is that most of medals they are returning are not distinguished or something they earned. The national defense service ribbon, the army service ribbon, the global war on terrorism service ribbon are all decorations that you receive before graduating a few weeks of basic training. They are not something to be proud of, and when you return those it's kind of like "Okay... and?" I mean, in the video of Vietnam veterans, one of them said "Fuck you!" with an arcom, NINE purple hearts, a distinguished service cross, a bronze star, and a god damn silver star, and they are trying to compare to that? What?

Honestly, though, that's just a pet peeve. My real problem is that they are there as veterans protesting foreign wars; It makes sense. Who understands how horrible war is more then those who fight it, or who are victims of it? It's powerful and provocative for veterans to speak out with their unique perspective that most people couldn't possibly understand. But for people to put on their uniforms and protest as veterans against wars THAT THEY HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN TO is insulting. Several of them did not deploy as conscientious objectors, several went AWOL before deploying, and most did not even see combat. I wish I could express this in terms that everybody could understand, but it's extremely disrespectful for them to speak as veterans rather then just people.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
AshleyO

They went AWOL before a second deployment, a lot of them anyway.

Were those that said they went to Iraq and Afghanistan lying?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Versus

I might be honing in on the one or two. I don't think it's fair to extend my criticism to all of them as a whole.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
AshleyO

I served in Italy.

Would it have been shitty for me to state why I was throwing my ribbons away? Yes, I didn't have any combat ribbons. I was lucky. But would it have been wrong of me to say that the IA missions were smoked screened as re-deployments to attractive places in the world such as Japan while my shipmates were then deployed to Afghanistan on the understanding that they were heading to greener pastures? Is that something I would have been wrong to point out that even AFTER they own you, they lie to you still?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Versus

No, it would not be wrong of you to have that complaint.

My complaint is that some use their service to identify as a veteran against foreign wars when they are not veterans OF foreign wars. They are specifically advertised and identified as that, which bothers me.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Versus

I think my problem is that I still hold a distinction that separates war from every other problem systemic to the military. I understand when a veteran has a problem with the military. It's a special perspective that people who have not experienced it cannot understand, and I recognize the voices that speak of it. But I do not understand when a veteran speaks out against a war they have not been to from that same perspective.

Simply, veterans who have not been to war have the same perspective as everybody else. They can know about it's myth of heroism, it's diefied abstracts like valor, and it's convienent justifications like patriotism, but they cannot ever understand it beyond the boundaries of an acedemic discourse. It isn't real to them just like it isn't real to the rest of this fucking stupid planet.

For them to say, imply, whatever, that they understand for just being a part of the military at some point, like it grants some kind of special status in that regard, is like when a white guy says he is colorblind; it ignores a fundamental difference in my existence that I do not have the privilege to ignore.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
AshleyO

Fine.

Shrugs...

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Versus

What's on your mind?

-Breathin, Tupac.