Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #6701
Solumina

Jake has invited his family over for his birthday dinner. He decided to do this yesterday, the dinner is today (was going to be tomorrow but his parents want to take us out to dinner tomorrow, not really sure why they couldn't do that today since we had already made plans for tomorrow but that is kind of a different rant). There are a few problems with his family coming over for dinner:

1) I've never cooked for them before (actually I've never cooked a full meal for guests before at all, let alone my in-laws and for a special occasion) so this is kind of a big deal for me and Jake doesn't seem to get that.

2) I work on Thanksgiving so, in addition to being Jake's birthday dinner, this is kind of my Thanksgiving with his family.

3) As much as I like to cook and as I have proven myself to be able to make really yummy food I haven't really gotten down the concept of timing properly so a whole meal doesn't usually end up finishing at the same time, which is fine for just the two of us, we'll just start munching on whatever finishes first.

4) Our place isn't the best to host than four people and there will be at least five, most likely six (the sixth being Shannon's boyfriend, who by the way happens to be a restaurant manager and fantastic cook so no added pressure there). Hell we only have four place mats and four chairs for the dinner table, although the chair situation can be fixed using our desk chairs but still we will have to get a little cozy to fit everyone. There is also the fact that our place is small, it's big for a one bedroom apartment and I love it to bits but still it's not very large so things are going to get a little crowded, no matter how we try to arrange things.

So much for a relaxing day off with my husband.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #6702
Solumina

Got some new place mats today, decided to wash them before I put them on the table and, despite the fact that they clearly said machine wash, they started to unravel in the washer. This is not a good sign.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #6703
Saya

My sympathies Solumina, that was my Thanksgiving anxiety. My roommates (one of whom is my sister) and I were going to have a nice meal together, and 2/3rds of the people there was vegetarian so it was awesome, finally I could eat everything there! Then Mom invited herself over, brining a turkey and a pot of vegetables (she boils them with salt beef), taking up the whole kitchen for the day. So me and the other vegetarians had to scramble to make everything within an hour at six in the evening when they were finally done with the kitchen, because according to Mom she wasn't going to "eat that crap." o.O
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #6704
Solumina

Dude, you do not take over your hosts' kitchen, especially not to make something that most of them won't eat, if you want turkey then you ask if it would be okay and maybe think about just doing a breast as they cook much faster.

Also who boils veggies with salt beef? Is it like the Canadian equivalent to collard greens with ham hocks or something?

I was thankfully able to return the place mats quickly and without hassle and I picked up some different ones, which I actually like better and are very similar to my other place mats, just a different color so I should be able to mix and match them without a problem.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 11-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #6705
Saya

Its a Newfie thing, you boil potatoes, carrots and rutabagas together in a pot with salt beef, some people put cabbage in it too. Honestly growing up I didn't think I liked a whole lot of vegetables, when I got my first vegan cookbook and it talked about roasting vegetables it kind of blew my mind.

The traditional Newfie diet is incredibly unhealthy. A popular breakfast food is fried bread dough with molasses, Mom would fry it with butter but when I looked to veganize the recipe a lot of the recipes I found online said the authentic way is to fry it in bacon grease.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #6706
wolf moon

Cooking vegetables in animal fat is an incredibly common tradition for good reason; many vitamins are fat-soluble, so they're only available for your body to use when you eat them with fat. That's why so many cultures add things like bacon, fatback, lard, etc. to their traditionally prepared veggies.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #6707
Saya

And why we're the fattest province and had recently the highest rate of spina bifida until white flour was fortified, and continue to have one of the highest rate of diabetes in the world. Oh, and the highest rate of heart attacks in Canada.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #6708
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Jake has invited his family over for his birthday dinner. He decided to do this yesterday, the dinner is today (was going to be tomorrow but his parents want to take us out to dinner tomorrow, not really sure why they couldn't do that today since we had already made plans for tomorrow but that is kind of a different rant). There are a few problems with his family coming over for dinner:

1) I've never cooked for them before (actually I've never cooked a full meal for guests before at all, let alone my in-laws and for a special occasion) so this is kind of a big deal for me and Jake doesn't seem to get that.

2) I work on Thanksgiving so, in addition to being Jake's birthday dinner, this is kind of my Thanksgiving with his family.

3) As much as I like to cook and as I have proven myself to be able to make really yummy food I haven't really gotten down the concept of timing properly so a whole meal doesn't usually end up finishing at the same time, which is fine for just the two of us, we'll just start munching on whatever finishes first.

4) Our place isn't the best to host than four people and there will be at least five, most likely six (the sixth being Shannon's boyfriend, who by the way happens to be a restaurant manager and fantastic cook so no added pressure there). Hell we only have four place mats and four chairs for the dinner table, although the chair situation can be fixed using our desk chairs but still we will have to get a little cozy to fit everyone. There is also the fact that our place is small, it's big for a one bedroom apartment and I love it to bits but still it's not very large so things are going to get a little crowded, no matter how we try to arrange things.

So much for a relaxing day off with my husband.
Can you make it a picnic on the floor? Or an outside picnic if the weather is nice. That way you can get away with salads and don't have to worry about timing.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #6709
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
And why we're the fattest province and had recently the highest rate of spina bifida until white flour was fortified, and continue to have one of the highest rate of diabetes in the world. Oh, and the highest rate of heart attacks in Canada.
I'm not interested in debating again. But, as I said, cooking vegetables in fat is ubiquitous. Pretty much every culture in the world does it. Something that your culture shares with all of the other cultures can't possibly be the reason your neighbors are fat but others aren't. Logic would dictate you'd need a unique dietary factor to explain a unique outcome. Additionally, type 2 diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance. That's sugar, not fat, you're looking at. Folate, which helps prevent both spina bifida and heart attacks, is significantly more bioavailable when consumed with fat.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #6710
Saya

Its Type 1 Diabetes that we're susceptible to, made worse by our high fat diet, and excess protein is converted to glucose by ze liver.

Besides, the Chinese stir frying their veggies in oil is a lot different than boiling your vegetables in a pot with fatty salt beef for an hour. There's little vitamins left when you overcook vegetables. And cabbage is about the only green that will grow here, the problem with spina bifida here is that we eat mostly meat and very little vegetables aside from boiled mush, so we don't get adequate amounts of folic acid.

We had to watch a video in high school on how we should be taking vitamin supplements because by the time we're seniors and knocked up we really should be prepared.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #6711
Solumina

There is a big difference between roasting veggies with olive oil or sauteing them in a little butter and throwing them in a pot with fatty hunks of meat to stew, especially since the vegetables leach nutrients into the water which typically gets tossed before the dish is served.

Okay so Saya kind of got to it before I did but still I like fats, I love butter, I love meat but all things in moderation and if your main dish is meat you don't need to go adding it to all of the sides as well.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #6712
Saya

This talk is making me want pad thai D:
Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #6713
Grausamkeit

Not pad thai, thai curry chicken!

Yum!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #6714
Solumina

I'm far too full for any sort of food craving at the moment.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #6715
wolf moon

Quote:
There is a big difference between roasting veggies with olive oil or sauteing them in a little butter and throwing them in a pot with fatty hunks of meat to stew, especially since the vegetables leach nutrients into the water which typically gets tossed before the dish is served.

Okay so Saya kind of got to it before I did but still I like fats, I love butter, I love meat but all things in moderation and if your main dish is meat you don't need to go adding it to all of the sides as well.
I... can't handle the old science any more. It's too much.

I'm going to sit in a corner and lick coconut oil off a spoon.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #6716
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Not pad thai, thai curry chicken!

Yum!
My husband makes the best thai curry chicken in the world. I'm 99% certain that the primary ingredients are magic and unicorn tears.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #6717
Saya

Quote:
I'm far too full for any sort of food craving at the moment.
I find after I get a lot of groceries, which I did yesterday, my body seems to think its only going to be there for a time and I really want to eat all of it at once, but right now I'm too full. But I really, really want poutine.

This is how horrible my life is now, I want poutine but I have no appetite right now, and I'm writing a paper on the handling of gender in Star Trek: The Next Generation but I really want to play Assassin's Creed instead. And seasonal depression has reared its ugly head and I feel really guilty that I'm sad with absolutely no reason to be.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #6718
Versus

I feel a bit simple after reading all that. I just eat when I get hungry. Usually things that come in bags. And the blood of my enemies.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #6719
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I feel a bit simple after reading all that. I just eat when I get hungry. Usually things that come in bags. And the blood of my enemies.
Well of course. If I don't coat all my food thoroughly in the blood of my enemies, I find I'm much more prone to anemia.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #6720
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
My husband makes the best thai curry chicken in the world. I'm 99% certain that the primary ingredients are magic and unicorn tears.
Unicorn tears make everything yummy! The hard part is punching them in the nuts just right to make them cry.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #6721
carakitty

Quote:
Unicorn tears make everything yummy! The hard part is punching them in the nuts just right to make them cry.
ROFL priceless, yet true!
OMG I am choking on my Oatmeal Squares!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #6722
MissCheyenne

I feel like utter shit. I'm bored, I have absolutely nothing to do all day and it's driving me mad. None of my friends are interested in talking to me, apparently I've been 'really depressive the last week or two' and no one wants to know. My head hurts and I feel sick all the time. I'm fed up.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #6723
carakitty

*hugs* MissC

Sorry your friends are being sucky right now.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #6724
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I feel like utter shit. I'm bored, I have absolutely nothing to do all day and it's driving me mad. None of my friends are interested in talking to me, apparently I've been 'really depressive the last week or two' and no one wants to know. My head hurts and I feel sick all the time. I'm fed up.
So, your mom dies, you're depressed about it and your friends don't want to be around because you're sad about it?

Those aren't friends, MissC, those are dickheads.

Selfish twatfart, assholes......

Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #6725
Saya

Quote:
So, your mom dies, you're depressed about it and your friends don't want to be around because you're sad about it?

Those aren't friends, MissC, those are dickheads.

Selfish twatfart, assholes......
Yeah, really.

I'd totally hang out with you if I could, MissC.