Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #576
Delkaetre

Belle Dame- individuals with cancer (or any kind of long term/ terminal/ threatening) condition tend to get arseloads of "oooh, you poor dear, how terrible" sympathy comments. Being helpful rather than sympathetic may be useful.

Apathy's Child- I would rather wear it, use it, and have some value in it than see it wasted. There is some chance that I am being hypocritical in criticising fur farms and then wearing a fur that's not in any way from a fur farm just in case someone follows my example, but sod it- I'm expecting people to be adults and capable of making their own responsible decisions. People see sports cars as glamour items, too. There are electric and bio powered sports cars available, and anyone with half a brain or a bit of social responsibility can buy them instead of the gas guzzlers. This is my totally green, eco-friendly, recycling equivalent.

Ophie- dear lady, all you need to do is get to England. I can promise three way lesbian BDSM if you want it. I do decadence.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #577
Saya

Technically this would be the totally green equivalent:

http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/...of-people.html

As for my rant, hating a boy right now for asking for forgiveness, and hating myself for giving it. Then allowing him to ask me out twice and bailing out at me with no notice twice, forgiving him twice, and now just sulky that he's not replying to me at all anymore. I thought I was going to get laid -_-*
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #578
Delkaetre

No, that would require me having a pet in the first place and would add extra death/ tanning/ preparation etc to it.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #579
Saya

They don't kill the dogs, they just use whats in the brush after a brushing and spin it.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #580
Delkaetre

Then it would still require keeping a pet, treating and washing all the hair properly (which you really do need to do- my mother knits for a living, so I am painfully familiar with yarn production) to get the oils and dirt out of it and getting it into the right condition to weave, etc.

The coat I want, on the other hand, is already in existence and does not require any of the above. It is second hand.
Making something from scratch almost always has a higher toll than using the thing that's already there.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #581
Learing Cordelia

Todays rant: I cut my finger almost to the bone... Damn right handed scissors.. But the scar will be cool...

Second: A creep at my old job that kinda followed me around and stuff found me at my new job...and I cant refuse to wait on him because he is a friend of the owner of the store or something like that.
Learing Cordelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #582
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
Then it would still require keeping a pet, treating and washing all the hair properly (which you really do need to do- my mother knits for a living, so I am painfully familiar with yarn production) to get the oils and dirt out of it and getting it into the right condition to weave, etc.

The coat I want, on the other hand, is already in existence and does not require any of the above. It is second hand.
Making something from scratch almost always has a higher toll than using the thing that's already there.
But its not like a car because vehicles are necessary, whereas a fur coat is not. The animals have already been trapped, killed and skinned, and the fur itself has been treated so it cannot decompose properly, yes, but you buying it isn't changing anything, except putting it on display as desirable. And I fail to see why its okay to trap an animal in in a steel hold leg trap where they may starve to death before trappers find them is better than fur farm, no matter when or where it happened. The damage is irreversible.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #583
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Belle Dame- individuals with cancer (or any kind of long term/ terminal/ threatening) condition tend to get arseloads of "oooh, you poor dear, how terrible" sympathy comments. Being helpful rather than sympathetic may be useful.
Yes, I'm trying to be helpful (and, as Ophie suggested, to generally be there), but I've never been in this situation before, so I'm a little lost...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #584
Saya

LaBelle, Ophie is right in that there's really nothing you can say to make it all better, and I'm sure he knows what a difficult situation it is. A lot of people never know what to say. I never know what to say when someone goes through something rough. But I think most other people can appreciate that its difficult, and they're really not going to remember who said they were sorry or who said "my prayers are with you and yours" and all that, they're going to remember the people who were there for him. Especially from someone so close, you know? Thats not to say never address it, but don't feel like you need to force something out, don't worry and just let it flow out naturally and from the heart if anything needs to be said. Just ask him often how she's doing, if there's anything you can do, maybe offer to go visit or ask if they want to go to a restaurant or have a big hearty meal at home together, thats the sort of thing that counts.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #585
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Here it is, my son's 25th birthday, and my daughter is drunk and my wife is on the rampage, with my son, grandson and me caught in the middle. ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #586
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Technically this would be the totally green equivalent:

http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/...of-people.html
The moment I have a black fluffy dog I'm so doing this.

But on the topic of fur... Yes, the animals are brutally killed, it's horrible and mean and bad bad bad. No one is going to dispute that. But a fur coat made many years ago might as well be recycled and above all appreciated. The fact is animal pelts are gorgeous and warm and will always be considered desirable - that's why fake fur is so damn popular. At least by wearing a vintage fur it's being used and admired so the animal hasn't died for nothing.

I've also noticed from the effect of my own fur coat (second hand and very very old) that most people who touch it, rather than thinking "Wow, dead fox fur is beautiful", instead think "Wow, foxes are beautiful. If only this one were still alive". It seems fur can reinforce appreciation for the live animal rather than the dead one, and it certainly does for me.

I would never condone buying new pelts, but recycling is never a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Also the thing about cars... big fancy sports cars are not a necessity. You could probably liken regular cars, however, to the necessity of a warm coat in winter. Sports cars and furs are just the 'glamorous' version.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #587
Saya

I appreciate that you appreciate the lives of foxes, but for a lot of people thats not the case. My mother keeps hinting she wants a new mink fur coat after our neighbour got one from her kids last Christmas (which is odd, except for seal most people my age are anti-fur, except those who make money by trapping foxes in the summer). And I don't think the wolf would care if its being admired or not, all it knew was that it was trapped and killed.

This isn't a good day for me to be discussing it either, I just can't see whats desirable or beautiful about wearing dead skin, yesterday I read that there's going to be a sequel to Earthlings called Unity, so I hopped on the Earthling's website to see what its going to be about. I never ever finished watching Earthlings because it was way too brutal, so I read the script instead, and when I went on the website there it was, I had forgotten I read about it, an ad for Earthlings showing some footage plays and there's the mink (I think thats what it is, I can't tell) who was skinned alive and was still alive afterwards, it raises its head and blinks at the camera. I know thats probably not common but I still just can't get it out of my head.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #588
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Have you gone through that Ophie? Being there for someone is all well and good but for most people the words do make quite a difference.
Yes, I have been there.
Words don't take away lung cancer.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #589
Solumina

Of course words don't take it away and I know that everyone deal differently but I find it rather hard to believe that having someone so close to you avoiding talking about it would be at all desirable.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #590
Lolly PopMuzik

Okay, this is just ridiculous. Bad enough I'm feeling queasy, stuffy, achy and gaseous with no hours to work this week but Saturday...Only I'm not feeling any better and I will likely have to call in sick, thus earning me no pay for the week.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #591
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
The moment I have a black fluffy dog I'm so doing this.

But on the topic of fur... Yes, the animals are brutally killed, it's horrible and mean and bad bad bad. No one is going to dispute that. But a fur coat made many years ago might as well be recycled and above all appreciated. The fact is animal pelts are gorgeous and warm and will always be considered desirable - that's why fake fur is so damn popular. At least by wearing a vintage fur it's being used and admired so the animal hasn't died for nothing.

I've also noticed from the effect of my own fur coat (second hand and very very old) that most people who touch it, rather than thinking "Wow, dead fox fur is beautiful", instead think "Wow, foxes are beautiful. If only this one were still alive". It seems fur can reinforce appreciation for the live animal rather than the dead one, and it certainly does for me.

I would never condone buying new pelts, but recycling is never a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Also the thing about cars... big fancy sports cars are not a necessity. You could probably liken regular cars, however, to the necessity of a warm coat in winter. Sports cars and furs are just the 'glamorous' version.
I can dig the reusing resources, but for some of us, it's principle.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #592
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I can dig the reusing resources, but for some of us, it's principle.
I understand that, and I have no problem with people choosing not to wear fur or leather, recycled or not. But those who do shouldn't be demonised for it.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #593
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
I understand that, and I have no problem with people choosing not to wear fur or leather, recycled or not. But those who do shouldn't be demonised for it.
Oh, for recycled fur, no. I'll never crucify someone for preventing waste. When I order food, if it turns out to have an animal product, I'll usually get it in a go bag and give it to the first homeless person I see. I'll never throw it out.

If I see you waltzing around in a new mink, I'll be forced to kill you, which is a shame, since you're such a beauty.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #594
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Oh, for recycled fur, no. I'll never crucify someone for preventing waste. When I order food, if it turns out to have an animal product, I'll usually get it in a go bag and give it to the first homeless person I see. I'll never throw it out.

If I see you waltzing around in a new mink, I'll be forced to kill you, which is a shame, since you're such a beauty.
If you do kill me feel free to wear my skin.

But no, you won't be seeing me in newly flayed pelts any time soon. Unless I end up in a Bear Grylls situation and have to make a sleeping bag out of yak fur after munching on its eyeballs or something. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #595
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:

But no, you won't be seeing me in newly flayed pelts any time soon. Unless I end up in a Bear Grylls situation and have to make a sleeping bag out of yak fur after munching on its eyeballs or something. Hopefully that doesn't happen.
Let's hope not.

Quote:
If you do kill me feel free to wear my skin
Babe, I'd wear your skin any day

Disclaimer: Understanding that one if not both of us are in committed relationships, the previous comment was meant to be harmless and funny.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #596
Still Jack

I fucking hate hay fever!!!
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #597
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Of course words don't take it away and I know that everyone deal differently but I find it rather hard to believe that having someone so close to you avoiding talking about it would be at all desirable.
I didn't say to avoid talking about it.
I said you don't have to say anything.

The person dealing with the situation is the one it's about, not the other person. Let him talk, and shut up. If he doesn't want to talk about it, why the hell should she bring it up?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #598
Minyaliel

I need to whine. I'm sorry.

But... I've written 6700 words out of approx. 11.000 that equals the sum of words needed for all my exam papers to be long enough. And - BAM! VOILÁ! Writer's block. And I need to finish this by the 26th... Oh maaaaaaaan...! Can I go bash my head against the wall now? *whiiiiine*
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #599
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
I didn't say to avoid talking about it.
I said you don't have to say anything.

The person dealing with the situation is the one it's about, not the other person. Let him talk, and shut up. If he doesn't want to talk about it, why the hell should she bring it up?
When you are so close to someone who is going through something like this and you don't ask any questions about how they or their loved one are doing it sends the signal that you are uncomfortable talking about what is going on and most people would therefore feel like they can't go to you if they want to talk. This isn't to say that she should sit him down and have a long conversation about it but asking something simple like "how are things going today?" helps to open the channels of communication without pressing the issue or making him feel forced to talk about it.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #600
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Apathy's Child- I would rather wear it, use it, and have some value in it than see it wasted. There is some chance that I am being hypocritical in criticising fur farms and then wearing a fur that's not in any way from a fur farm just in case someone follows my example, but sod it- I'm expecting people to be adults and capable of making their own responsible decisions. People see sports cars as glamour items, too. There are electric and bio powered sports cars available, and anyone with half a brain or a bit of social responsibility can buy them instead of the gas guzzlers. This is my totally green, eco-friendly, recycling equivalent.
I do get that, and it makes sense in one way. However I wasn't thinking so much of somebody seeing it and going, "OMG, I have GOT to get me one of those" (though I guess it's possible, depending on how many dumb people everyday life forces you into contact with), as wondering why you'd want to wear something you're ideologically opposed to, even if it's not technically perpetuating the problem. As Joker said, I guess it's a matter of principle to me.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote