Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #26
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I voted no on both. I was quite pleased to see on the street corners today young people with signs saying "Honk if you will Vote NO on 8", and many cars were honking. My faith inhumanity has been restored.
My father is a Mormon and he's going around campaigning for Prop. 8. He has even contributed a non-trivial amount of money to it.

He told me on the phone yesterday that he has a new slogan: "It's great to be straight in 2008."

Some people don't feel right about themselves unless they're kicking someone weaker in the teeth.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #27
Saya

Good luck guys!

After Bush won again in 2004 we did actually see a lot of Americans crossing the border, pretty much immediately after he was declared the winner, the news stations were joking that we should be renamed The United States Of Canada. In case of McCain winning, we'll be at the border with "Welcome To Canada, Democrats!" signs.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #28
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Yeah, but who is winning the race for DOGCATCHER???

Priorities people, PRIORITIES!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #29
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Don't say that. Everyone says that and no one does it.
Plus, it's a dumb cop-out.
That's why I made a promise that's way cooler than that:
If McCain wins, believe me, I'm going militant.
Barack Obama has three million donors and a corps of volunteers in every state.
IT'S A PARAMILITARY FORCE.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #30
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Good luck guys!

After Bush won again in 2004 we did actually see a lot of Americans crossing the border, pretty much immediately after he was declared the winner, the news stations were joking that we should be renamed The United States Of Canada. In case of McCain winning, we'll be at the border with "Welcome To Canada, Democrats!" signs.

I grinned when thinking so.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #31
Haunted House

I agree with a small number of Americans when I say I'm sad that Godzilla and his running mate Space Godzilla aren't on the ballot this time.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #32
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Good luck guys!

Tee hee, I'm all for it. X3
I wouldn't call myself a democrat, but I know I wouldn't want to be here if McCain wins, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #33
MegearaErotica

I would rather have McCain than Obama.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #34
Saya

Why on earth?

Does anyone else find it funny that tomorrow is Bonfire Night?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #35
MegearaErotica

My family can't afford the "change" that will be taken out of our pockets if Obama wins, as many families can't.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #36
Saya

Like what? wealth distribution?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
My family can't afford the "change" that will be taken out of our pockets if Obama wins, as many families can't.
If your family is affected by his tax plans, it means you make over a quarter million dollars a year and can well fucking afford it.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #38
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
If your family is affected by his tax plans, it means you make over a quarter million dollars a year and can well fucking afford it.
I hate to agree with Joker, here, but he's right. The major tax increases, according to what Obama says, will be for the 250k per year and up income bracket. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for your family.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #39
MegearaErotica

Quote:
My family doesn't make a quarter million dollars a year. I haven't looked up anything online, so most of the information that I'm relying on is from the political debates I've watched during school.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #40
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
My family doesn't make a quarter million dollars a year. I haven't looked up anything online, so most of the information that I'm relying on is from the political debates I've watched during school.
Ah. Men yelling at eachother. Sure as hell beats actual stats, amirite?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #41
MegearaErotica

I've never seen anyone yell at a political debate.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #42
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Obama preaches on about redistribution of wealth. He will primarily tarted rich families and businesses. Small businesses he will leave alone with things like his mandatory health care and rich families he will tax heavily are families that make over a quarter million dollars a year. He also claims he will give tax breaks to the 95% of families in the US who are NOT that wealthy. I am not an Obama lover, but he's by far better than McCain. If you're family is poor, you'll be fine. If your family is rich, well, prepare to be cornholed by Obama.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 11-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #43
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Even if he wins the popular vote, he could still lose thanks to our electoral system. But if that happens there will be riots.
Almost makes one want to throw up.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #44
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
I've never seen anyone yell at a political debate.
They do it under their breath.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #45
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
. If you're family is poor, you'll be fine. If your family is rich, well, prepare to be cornholed by Obama.
I can only hope that this is the case. And, seeing as though it's largely the upper crust of society that's still supporting the occupation of Iraq, I say it's high fucking time.

You want the war to continue? Fine.

As they used to say: "Fight, or Buy Bonds". We don't have war bonds anymore, so paying your fucking taxes is the next best thing.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #46
Solumina

Quote:
Do a bit of research and you will find that your family would pay more under McCain.

Two of my roommates decided not to vote because the didn't think that voting was worth registering and potentially getting selected for jury duty *facepalm* I just do not understand some people.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #47
Solumina

At least the local elections seem to be going nicely in the direction that I want
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #48
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I'm in New York state, so it's fairly obvious that the electoral college here will go Democratic. I'm more worried about the swing states (an unfortunate misnomer, as places like Ohio are, in reality, nowhere near as fun as the word "swing" may imply).
Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #49
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
I'm in New York state, so it's fairly obvious that the electoral college here will go Democratic. I'm more worried about the swing states (an unfortunate misnomer, as places like Ohio are, in reality, nowhere near as fun as the word "swing" may imply).
The last part made me LOL. Lulz PAPH, lulz indeed.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #50
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

But of course, my good man. American politics are, after all, a joke. I kid you not!