Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
XNyarlathotepX

Racist goths???

Pretty much all of the goths I know or have known have been staunch anti racists. The reason should be obvious, the gothic subculture identifies as an outgroup and thus would likely see other outgroups, ones that in the case of racial minorities have suffered a far worse outgrouping, as natural allies. Thus, I was surprised to come on here and see several rather callous, ignorant discussions of race and racial issues by several obviously privilaged, suburban, callous whites who refuse to recognize their social privilage.

As many of you are non Christians, perhaps this will help. Before you say something about a minority race, stop and consider how you might respond if a Christian were to say a similar thing about people of your faith. Maybe you will get why it's inappropriate then.

To those goths of color who have been insulted or mistreated on here by white goths, I am sorry that you have to put up with this kind of crap from a social group that should be accepting of people who think outside the box and reject the norm.

To those bigoted white goths who want to talk about how you don't like the way it looks, or some BS like that, you're in the wrong sociological sect. You might as well have been cheerleaders.
XNyarlathotepX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Murder.Of.Crows

So cheerleaders are all bigoted and single minded? Weird. So all goth's share a single mind set and have but one set opinion on things? Also weird.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Versus

What are you talking about?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Alan

Look at the threads he revived.
Nyarlathotep, I can see the offense, but you are just as quick to judge as they were idiots.
You barely joined this group, but if you actually knew this community you'd know that the guys who made those threads are dipshits.

Onyxbat? A very conservative little girl who can't keep an opinion consistent. She just knows in every issue she has to blame someone and it can't possibly be that she's wrong.

Necroshadow? The name itself should tell you how stereotypical and devoid of personality he is.

Spookycreep? A black goth that loved to play the race card. Frankly I'm surprised you responded to Spadille as if he was right in that thread, when he was defending Spookycreep who said "you all disagree with me, you must be racist" and yet made fun of $hade, our former East Asian poster who was barely learning the English language.

Catch? We're not sure what she is. She's been here always and she such an idiot I genuinely believe she has a learning disability. Hell, she even was on TV once in the show So You Think You Can Dance, made an ass of herself, and the judges asked if she was serious. She's either downright idiotic or the most committed troll in history.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Grausamkeit

Guys, I think we're being slandered by that blog "The Ultimate Goth Guide". I believe those very threads are the ones linked to in an article where the poster assumes we embrace racists.
http://ultimategothguide.blogspot.co...ou-to.html?m=0

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Grausamkeit

I also think that nonmembers might get the wrong idea about the humor between friends on here and sarcasm almost never goes over well.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Solumina

Well that shit sucks, I hate that the regular members posting in those threads showed that the scene is inclusive but the idiotic baby bats and obvious trolls being racist are somehow more representative of what goes on here.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
MissCheyenne

Great, link to the threads that make everyone sound like racist, uncaring fucktards. What kind of shit merchant believes that everyone in this communtiy is like those idiots in those threads?!?!

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Grausamkeit

The people who follow a blog that is the obvious 'authority' on Goth.

Maybe racist people are touching me in my sleep and it's rubbing off? Do I look racist today?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
FistsofFury

Hrm. Well I found out this forum after looking up Sisters of Mercy articles I believe and lurked at first. So no goth authority led me here. I don't think y'all racist. I care about how ideas are expressed and the logic behind em. I don't expect to agree with everything.

Racists can practice mutual respect can't they? Bigots can be civil!

Even if some folk do have racist ideas (no matter what side): That's their problem. I don't care enough to 'change them' or 'show them the way'. I wish em all the best and keep on trucking. All while laughing at their silly attempts at ego boosting through warped group idealogy.
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistsofFury View Post
Hrm. Well I found out this forum after looking up Sisters of Mercy articles I believe and lurked at first. So no goth authority led me here. I don't think y'all racist. I care about how ideas are expressed and the logic behind em. I don't expect to agree with everything.

Racists can practice mutual respect can't they? Bigots can be civil!

Even if some folk do have racist ideas (no matter what side): That's their problem. I don't care enough to 'change them' or 'show them the way'. I wish em all the best and keep on trucking. All while laughing at their silly attempts at ego boosting through warped group idealogy.
Because nothing bad can come from a little harmless racism, right?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Murder.Of.Crows

This guy pisses me off. Right off the bat, he comes in here and starts posting "holier than thou" shit. Then runs off to his blog to bitch about a site he spent a few hours on.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
AshleyO

Man... it's so easy to troll you guys. Nyarlethotep is my sock puppet. When will YOU people learn?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Grausamkeit

Oh, Versus, don't you know how cool those white supremacists are when they're not dragging minorities behind their trucks? As long as they're respectful, it's all good.
/sarcasm

Seriously? Racists can be respectful? Their whole belief system is based on disrespect and hate for others.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Murder.Of.Crows

Oh, how I have missed such antics. I think i might weep in joy for a couple minutes.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
Grausamkeit

Goddamn you, Ashley!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
FistsofFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Because nothing bad can come from a little harmless racism, right?
Because not a whole lot of bad can come from someone just speaking their mind on an internet forum. I'm very liberal can't you tell?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Versus

Quote:
Because not a whole lot of bad can come from someone just speaking their mind on an internet forum. I'm very liberal can't you tell?
A blase attitude towards racism isn't an indication that you are liberal, it's an indication that you are privileged. Racism and bigotry isn't an opinion or different point of view. It's a false belief that people are inferior because of their race. It's a horrific thing and people like you, who tolerate such blatant injustice, are part of the reason that such a thing can proliferate in society. The appropriate response to racism is not to look the other way or mind your own business, but to vocally ostracize those who display it.

Actually, fuck that. The right thing to do is to fucking spit on them.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
MechaSaya

Jesus. FistsofFury, I double dog dare you to say something back to him.
MechaSaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Versus

Meh. I'm too tired and sad to tea bag anyone right now.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
FistsofFury

I tolerate it on an internet forum yes. I tolerate in conversation to a point.

It is a false belief you are correct. When I hear a false belief I want to challenge the structure of that belief. Doesn't mean I'm going to say nothing and it doesn't mean I am part of the problem.

Blatant injustice is getting attacked because of who you are. Injustice is getting targeted because of where you're from or what you look like. Someone saying some dumb shit is just talk. I am not going to get riled up over some bullshit like that. I'm not going to spit on someone that calls me a bad word I don't want to sink to their level.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
Pineapple_Juice

Fuck this whole conversation. Catch was on TV?!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Saya

I love it when white people tell people of colour what is an appropriate response to oppression.

Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
A blase attitude towards racism isn't an indication that you are liberal, it's an indication that you are privileged. Racism and bigotry isn't an opinion or different point of view. It's a false belief that people are inferior because of their race. It's a horrific thing and people like you, who tolerate such blatant injustice, are part of the reason that such a thing can proliferate in society. The appropriate response to racism is not to look the other way or mind your own business, but to vocally ostracize those who display it.

Actually, fuck that. The right thing to do is to fucking spit on them.
*bropounds*

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Versus

Quote:
I tolerate it on an internet forum yes. I tolerate in conversation to a point.

It is a false belief you are correct. When I hear a false belief I want to challenge the structure of that belief. Doesn't mean I'm going to say nothing and it doesn't mean I am part of the problem.

Blatant injustice is getting attacked because of who you are. Injustice is getting targeted because of where you're from or what you look like. Someone saying some dumb shit is just talk. I am not going to get riled up over some bullshit like that. I'm not going to spit on someone that calls me a bad word I don't want to sink to their level.
So, I'm not really tracking what, exactly, you're trying to express. Are you saying that you're too much of a pussy, or that you're too fucking stupid to talk about this? Please elaborate.

-Breathin, Tupac.