Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #176
Saya

I think with Morrigan though she was evil because of the principle of the thing or she believes in social darwinism. Fenris feels more sympathetic, he was hurt and he thinks that if the mages are free, Kirkwall will turn into another Tevinter. And I went with rivalmance, with a mage :3 He does sometimes agree with Anders, like with blood mages (they gang up on Merrill!) and he approves when you do things like prevent Anders from killing that girl in the underground mage railroad. He's not totally heartless about it, I also think he likes Bethany.

I think that stance was brought about to give a reason to side with Templars, and I think they did a good job this time around. In DA:O it was clear cut what the evil decisions were, here its not so easy.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #177
Sir Canvas Corpsey

True, I suppose. Well if I want to friend-mance him I'll just keep him away from situations where I'll definitely get rivalry points and bring him along for friend points, it's not cheating... it's tactical thinking! xD
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #178
Saya

Apparently its easy as piss to get a friendmance while being pro-mage, but I was too lazy, and he's my favourite tank.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #179
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Ahahahaha I see... well this is all good to know. I'm actually kind of glad it's taking me so long to get around to playing DA2 as a whole and even just as short stints of play on a character, means I can get all the top info first and I'm more likely to get to play DLC that integrates with the story in the appropriate time bracket. <-- That probably makes more sense to me than to others.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #180
Saya

My roommate hasn't played Awakenings, I feel bad because she's romancing Anders and she has no idea how awesome he actually was.

I blame the loss of Ser Pounce A Lot for everything.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #181
Sir Canvas Corpsey

At least as FemHawke you can give him another kind of pussy. Oh god... I hate myself for that one. :/

I disliked Anders in Awakening, the only redeeming feature about him there was his vocal opinions on Mage freedom. Then again, I disliked most characters in Awakening... Velanna was an irrational angry bitch, Oghren was still a typical idiot straight man caught up in machismo bullshit which annoyed me, Sigrun was just bland, Nathaniel was childish and Anders was Alistair if he was a mage. :/

On the topic of Origins, Leliana was all fluff faith, the moment you challenge her theologically she calls you a pessimist and ends the conversation. Sten was just difficult for the sake of being difficult, Alistair was self-righteous, whiny, and judged others where he really had no idea of the circumstance, Wynne was awesome albeit preachy sometimes, and sometimes her sage advice turned into overly long prattling, Shale just couldn't be pleased sometimes, Morrigan annoyed me with her disapproval based on principle rather than the individual context ( as we discussed earlier), Zevran was a slut, a slut with a rich past and a bad childhood who managed to make the best of every situation, he could be pragmatic at times while still being 'human' which I liked but his flirtatious nature grated sometimes.

In short they're all like real people, unfortunately the types of people I usually don't get along with.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #182
Saya

I loved Anders because he liked cats. Good looking men (and he was much better looking with the Duncan model hair than he is with his current model) with cats is just awesome.

Leliana I never liked, she was preachy without any redeeming qualities. You can make her tougher but she's still sanctimonious. I think they were going for "cute" but it failed. Alistair I thought was hilarious outside of romance, and I think he was probably the most reasonable character. Shale I just adored for the voice acting and the jokes. I liked joking around with Wynne, "Griffins?". Morrigan was fine if I left her out of the party. Oghren was funny, and really sad. I felt depressed when I took him during Sacred Ashes, he was really beat up over Branka. And he reminds me of Lee Marvin. "here comes Lee Marvin! Thank god, he's always drunk and violent."

Most other Awakenings charactered bored me to tears. Anders while like Alistair was far less naive XD

Sten I liked. The Qunari are hard to understand and I think Sten prepared me for that. He's absolutely not difficult once you figure him out and they do give a clue into how to handle him, with his first scene with the dog. Don't take shit from him and he'll respect you. Kick his ass if he wants to fight. I knew the Saarebas didn't really want to leave the Qun from the start, from what I learned from Sten about other qunari.

Zevran I found hard when he was being cold hearted, like during Sacred Ashes or at the Anvil Of The Void. And my roommate recently played as a man and I had no idea how gender specified his dialogue is! When you ask about his past as a man, he's much more open about it and expects from the start that you're fine with it. When you ask as a woman, he says it can be a tender subject, dances around the issue a bit and assumes you might have a problem with it. Him being flirty with everyone else I think was him trolling the other party members, he knew it bothered them.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #183
Sir Canvas Corpsey

It was stuff like
"What were you doing in that cage?"
"Sitting"

That made me dislike Sten, he KNOWS what the real and not literal question is there (he admits as much later) but he still answers it as such, it was kind of ridiculous.

Alistair's templar training certainly influenced his views on mages though, and it was clear he had prejudices against apostates though not as strong as other templars. It annoyed me when he'd flip from nice guy and immediately doubt someone's words based on their apostate status.

Morrigan was good in conversations and you could really understand where her principles came from, it just that principles > context for her.

Oghren WAS funny but he was a coward for all things emotional, absoloutely stereotypical hetero tough guy male, the likes of which I'm sick of, considering I can claim more masculinity in my pinky finger than most of them in their entire lives.

I've never played as a female in DA, ever, well except for a Dwarf Castless girl whom I'm eventually going to use to romance Alistair for the achievement... which will net me the all romances achievement too, then I only have the warrior level 20 and 1000 darkspawn (which doesn't seem to be registering when I get to that amount) achievements to go, since I refuse to do the all endings one.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #184
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey View Post
It was stuff like
"What were you doing in that cage?"
"Sitting"

That made me dislike Sten, he KNOWS what the real and not literal question is there (he admits as much later) but he still answers it as such, it was kind of ridiculous.
Fenris does this too! Not in such a bad way, but his Qun influence is noticeable. But Sten didn't really want to talk about his mass murder.

I liked it when he told Alistair he asked people who passed by riddles, and gave prizes to those who answered correctly. He had a wonderful sense of humour, it turned out.

Quote:

Oghren WAS funny but he was a coward for all things emotional, absoloutely stereotypical hetero tough guy male, the likes of which I'm sick of, considering I can claim more masculinity in my pinky finger than most of them in their entire lives.
He was the Gimli to Zevran's Legolas, and I don't think of him as a tough guy. He's a drunk who can't handle his heartbreak. I like that he was layered like that, he puts up a facade and is actually pretty pathetic and doesn't know how to deal with pain. It also had a lot to do with his training as a Berserker, it turned out. He reminds me of when I was a bartender and surrounded by old men who's lives are going to shit and the only thing they can do is drink it away. So I liked giving him a chance to start again, I was actually sad when he became a Grey Warden, I liked the thought of him settling down with that waitress chick.

Quote:
I've never played as a female in DA, ever, well except for a Dwarf Castless girl whom I'm eventually going to use to romance Alistair for the achievement... which will net me the all romances achievement too, then I only have the warrior level 20 and 1000 darkspawn (which doesn't seem to be registering when I get to that amount) achievements to go, since I refuse to do the all endings one.
The differences are subtle, but they're there.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #185
Sir Canvas Corpsey

That's what i meant by tough guy though, they are not actually tough, they cannot handle or do not know how to deal with emotional problems so they find some method of hiding or pushing the issue away, in Oghren's situation; alcohol. The problem is by doing that they obviously never learn to cope with the issue and so the whole thing perpetuates itself, and I just can't as the warden, be bothered playing pattycake with tragic cases. Ryan Amell (Blood on the Walls) ignored Sten in the cage, killed Zevran after questioning him, did not activate Shale... and I don't even remember where I'm going with this...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #186
KontanKarite

Dragon Age is for the most part, an intelligent game. In so far as the writing is concerned. I mean, look at how engaged the feminazi is because of this game. This game makes you think. That's god damned refreshing. I haven't been this interested since Black and White.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #187
Saya

I hope Ryan dies in a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Dragon Age is for the most part, an intelligent game. In so far as the writing is concerned. I mean, look at how engaged the feminazi is because of this game. This game makes you think. That's god damned refreshing. I haven't been this interested since Black and White.
I analyze everything! And Bioware is good to the feminazis, generally. I was reading comments by one of the writers and on the topic of gay romances, he was like "Well, as a person of privilege..." Made me a little wet.

And Bioware is very well known for good writing. Not to downplay Dragon Age 2 but if you weren't such a n00b you'd be chewing this up and making comparisons as well. N00b.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #188
KontanKarite

Suck my chode. God of War is just as good.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #189
Saya

Do you live in a frat house?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #190
KontanKarite

No. black text of justice

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #191
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
No. black text of justice
That's awesome.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #192
KontanKarite

Man, I'm like Reptile!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #193
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I hope Ryan dies in a fire.
You're a mean lady.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #194
Saya

Anyone who kills Zevran ain't no friend of mine.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #195
KontanKarite

I killed some dude with a sun on his forehead. Was that him?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #196
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Really? If someone tried to assassinate you, not just on their own, but with an entire group of killers after luring you to a trap ridden location you would spare them cause they looked kind of sexy?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #197
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey View Post
Really? If someone tried to assassinate you, not just on their own, but with an entire group of killers after luring you to a trap ridden location you would spare them cause they looked kind of sexy?
From what I learned from Summoner 2, a person hired to assassinate you will be your best friend forever in life. From what I learned from a certain movie about an assassin who fails, who loves boots and has a Spanish accent, you spare them.

From what I learned from The Princess Bride, when a man with a Spanish accent tries to kill your love, you spare him, he will save you both in the end.

Never regret sparing assassins! They have hearts of gold!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #198
Versus

She... has a remarkable point.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #199
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Don't pull that meta-gaming crap with me! /shakes fist

I'll consider sparing him.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #200
KontanKarite

Hell yeah she does.