Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Saya

Arizona Bans Ethnic Studies

Quote:
Gov. Jan Brewer signs the bill that bans schools from teaching classes designed for students of a particular ethnic group. School districts may appeal the law, which becomes effective Dec. 31.

A bill that aims to ban ethnic studies in Arizona schools was signed into law Tuesday by Gov. Jan Brewer, cheering critics who called such classes divisive and alarming others who said it's yet another law targeting Latinos in the state.

The move comes less than 20 days after Brewer signed a controversial immigration bill that has caused widespread protests against the state. The governor's press office did not return requests for comment Tuesday evening.

HB 2281 bans schools from teaching classes that are designed for students of a particular ethnic group, promote resentment or advocate ethnic solidarity over treating pupils as individuals. The bill also bans classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.

The bill was written to target the Chicano, or Mexican American, studies program in the Tucson school system, said state Supt. of Public Instruction Tom Horne.

» Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox.

School districts that don't comply with the new law could have as much as 10% of their state funds withheld each month. Districts have the right to appeal the mandate, which goes into effect Dec. 31.

Tucson Unified School District officials say the Chicano studies classes benefit students and promote critical thinking. "We don't teach all those ugly things they think we're teaching," said Judy Burns, the president of the district's governing board.

She has no intention of ending the program, which offers courses from elementary school through high school in topics such as literature, history and social justice, with an emphasis on Latino authors and history. About 3% of the district's 55,000 students are enrolled in such classes.

Horne has been trying to end the program for years, saying it divides students by race and promotes resentment. He singled out one history book used in some classes, "Occupied America: A History of Chicanos," by Rodolfo Acuna, a professor and founder of the Chicano studies program at Cal State Northridge.

"To begin with, the title of the book implies to the kids that they live in occupied America, or occupied Mexico," Horne said last week in a telephone interview.

Also last week, Augustine Romero, director of student equity in the Tucson school district, said it now had become politically acceptable to attack Latinos in Arizona.

Ethnic studies are taught at high schools and colleges nationwide, but the Tucson district officials say their 14-year-old program is unique because it's districtwide, offered to grades K-12, and can satisfy high school graduation requirements.

In Los Angeles, more educators have been attempting to build curriculums, teaching lessons or units in ethnic studies, especially with the growth of charter schools in the area, said Maythee Rojas, the president of the National. Assn. of Ethnic Studies. "I don't think it's uncommon anymore," she said.

In Tucson, the program is supported by a court-ordered desegregation budget, and is part of the district's initiative to create equal access for Latinos.

Board member Mark Stegeman said he believes the board needs to consider the program carefully and whether the courses, as taught, violate the new law. Perhaps an external audit could be done to assess that, he said.

Ethnic studies courses are sometimes controversial because people believe the programs are attempting to replace one voice with another, Rojas said.

The Tucson district plans to double the number of students in Chicano studies in the upcoming school year, said Sean Arce, the director of the program. Arce said that now that the bill has become law, he's waiting for direction from the district's legal department.
http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-et...tory?track=rss

So yeah, take that Mexican Americans! Now you're not allowed to have a class where you learn about your heritage. Because thats totally discriminating against the white people who barely mention you in regular classes.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

I don't fully understand the motive behind banning a Mexican-American class.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Ben Lahnger

¡Idiotas! ¡Son llena de mierda!

By the way, let's not have any European studies, either. And while we're at it, let's not learn to speak Chinese, even though experts think that will be a needed skill in the future.

Single-minded simpletons. How do we get THESE people in charge of EDUCATION when they know so little?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
I don't fully understand the motive behind banning a Mexican-American class.
Because this is America and they should act like Americans

I would guess something like that anyway, racism is fun like that.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Quote:
The bill also bans classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.
Wait, what?!?!? Why, that's down-right un-American! LMAO!!!

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think this may be the more dangerous part. It could be the beginning of banning dissension.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
CptSternn

You have to admit, how silly is it to restrict studies to American history only? That goes back what? 200 years or so? I guess thats as much as they want to teach.

If yer looking for history further back than that, then ye can feck off to another country because no one cares in Arizona!

Heh - eejits.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Not to mention, when I think of the glorious history of Arizona I think ... meh.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
ape descendant

The only way this could remotely be even slightly ok, is if instead of offering special classes that treat specific ethnicities, they had incredibly awesome comprehensive classes that treated all ethnicities equally while still acheiving awesome educational stuff-things.

However, I seriously doubt that would ever be a reality. So, jeezo.. WTF Arizona? Are you like the new Alabama?

Banning the discussion of the possible overthrow of the U.S. Govt? Total FAIL, es muy unconstitutional.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Banning the discussion of the possible overthrow of the U.S. Govt? Total FAIL, es muy unconstitutional.
I suspect they had a specific class in mind when they tagged that one on. There's probably some political science class where a professor has assigned a reading list to encourage a knowledge of varying viewpoints and one of the books on the list includes some sentiment advocating revolution.

So yeah, let's not have any classes where they do that. Except, the law will be overturned in time as being unconstitutional ... but damn them for trying.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Ben Lahnger

A comment on this from Roger Ebert:

"Nearby in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry told a Tea Party convention he thought secession from the Union was an option, because "if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, who knows what may come of that." I'd welcome a statement by (Arizona) Gov. Brewer about whether that statement contemplates the overthrow of the U. S. government."

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
d0p3y

-__-" when will white people admit we are just better than them. (Sarcasm)

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
KontanKarite

These Tea Party assholes...

*facepalm*

AND, to tell the truth, in a very sick kind of way, I like the idea of collectively boycotting AZ industry until they learn to play nice. But my better senses know that that is more destructive than constructive. :-/

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote