Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #251
KontanKarite

You know what... I'm seriously done with this thread. I'll just leave it to Despanan because clearly Saya and others are just going to continue trying to stuff my points with straw or to paint me with an incorrect brush.

1. Government and policy making should be categorically secular

2. Scriptures are broken and should be left to consider that maybe one's own critical thinking is more worthy to follow than a scripture laced with bigotry

3. A secular charity will always be a better charity than a religious based one as it would be truly more altruistic, though it may not get the same results*

4. Being an atheist is the rejection of the existence of a supernatural. It could only go to show that the logical event horizon of an atheist would be that to be a theist or superstitious in any measure would be at best a very minor character flaw. I can't say that being religious is okay. That gives religion a chance to be right and well... if I don't think it is right or real, then logic dictates this.

*As far as getting results from a charity is concerned, our modern society is still very steeped in religion. A faith based charity would CLEARLY yield more charity work BECAUSE things such as atheism is not even CLOSE to a normative world view. Religion still has a larger pool of willing bodies and minds. Atheism's still taboo and to judge the worthiness of atheist thinking or even theist thinking in a society as it is now is silly, because this society is still skewed to assume that SOME kind of religion HAS to be right before a lack of faith is right. Society views spiritualism as a necessity still and as an atheist, I find that to be one of the flaws of our current society.

*tosses Despanan the keys to the thread*

I'm leaving the thread, dude. Don't forget to lock up when you're done.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #252
Despanan

In my experience Vind, the philosophy behind your mission trip is not uncommon.

I remember when I had a conversation about my fundraising work for Active Water with a christian friend of mine. I was telling him all about the charities work with building wells in Zambia, and the AIDS clinics they were setting up. His response was to say (very earnestly):

"But they use some of that money to build churches, right?"

In his eyes, converting people to Christianity was more important than helping them get a steady supply of clean drinking water. And this guy is more than a decent person.

The thing is, if you believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, and follow the scripture of the bible, then you must believe that this world is temporary and suffering and death here is intrinsically less important than how someone will spend eternity. Therefore, the only logical conclusion one can draw when using a christian worldview as their operating principal is that making sure that someone makes it to heaven and/or avoids hell IS infinitely more important than helping them improve their own temporal lives/community.

This attitude isn't even necessarily bigoted or evil, depending upon the person. I would say that the Catholic charities threatening to with hold their services if Homosexual adoption is permitted, is monstrous. However, in a Catholic's mind, they may simply believe that it's better for a child to grow up without parents than risk Hell due to the temptation of a homosexual lifestyle.

Do all faith-based charities operate in this manner? probably not, but if they really believe in the normative christian view and the Bible's scripture, this conclusion is pretty much inevitable.

As long as: "I am the way, the truth, and the light; no one comes to the father, except through me" reigns supreme in a person's mind, helping the downtrodden will always be secondary to saving their souls, no matter how kind or compassionate a person they may happen to be.

Now considering the fact that in all likelyhood, Jesus was not divine, God does not exist, and all of this is just a collection of superstitions based on the writings of pre-historic desert nomads, you can see why it's so important to operate with the correct view on reality, and why Kontan and I rail so hard against superstition. Regardless of what kind of a person you are, it is genuinely dangerous, to yourself and others to have a fiction like this as your operating principal.

You can see why Kontan and I would have a problem with a statement like:

"As long as it inspires you to be a good person, what's the harm in believing in a God(s)?" and why we are passionate about this particular topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #253
vindicatedxjin

Well that example is exactly where I start to see how Christianity and religions like it, are actually dangerous and harmful to mankind.

If everything, including life itself is unimportant...then we're pretty much doomed. Last night I was watching "The Atheism tapes" with Jonathan Miller, and English philosopher Colin McGinn was talking about this exact topic. The world, especially the US is not able to see Christianity as dangerous due to the fact that it is still so embedded into us. But it is VERY harmful, especially when you look at how many deaths have been dealt with in the name of God.

I mean when you look at the statistics that alone is good reason to not want to participate. But my favorite thing in the show, was when Steven Weinberg explained how even though he didn't believe in God, he didn't like God and doesn't understand how anyone else could truly love, and adore someone who has such a bad personality.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #254
Despanan

Yeah, Yahweh is kind of like an insane, over-controlling boyfriend:

"I love you baby, more than anything, and I don't want to hurt you, but if you don't love me back with all of your being, I'm gonna hit you so hard you'll feel it TOMORROW.

It won't be my fault, it'll be yours. Don't make me hurt you baby because that will make me so damn sad.

Also, you've gotta change the way you dress, eat, and make sure you wear your hair the way I like it"
Quote:
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #255
vindicatedxjin

Hahahah!!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #256
Despanan

Someone needs to post a picture of Jesus dressed like a pimp.
Quote:
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #257
vindicatedxjin

I'm sure there has to be one out there...if not I should make one.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #258
vindicatedxjin

Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #259
korinna5555

I would like to follow that up with:

Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #260
Despanan

"Is Christ gonna have ta choke a Bitch?"
Quote:
Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #261
korinna5555

I bet he really knows how to nail bitches.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #262
ape descendant

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #263
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I think you guys are confusing religion with what people do with it. A religion is created, and then it gets into the hands of A Twat and they ruin it for everyone else.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #264
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci View Post
I think you guys are confusing religion with what people do with it. A religion is created, and then it gets into the hands of A Twat and they ruin it for everyone else.
Now you've just gone and made me a liar. Lady, this is one of the stupidest fucking things I've ever read.

Religion, especially the abrahemic ones, were created originally as a code of laws within the original culture. They made their code of laws a divine mandate, making it much more potent. But... you have no idea what you're talking about. You're once again, being a sensitive douche and appealing to a koombaya attitude as if it's somehow better to be polite and permissive than it is to being right. Religion wasn't made to make people feel better, it was made to control and guide behavior and culture.

Religion without divine mandate or without a sense of concrete law is pretty much just philosophy. You know, ideas to be considered, but can be ignored if you don't find them applicable.

This statement is almost as stupid as all of Saya's participation in this thread. She was dumb, but you're being dumb on a much more concentrated level.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #265
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I'm talking about things like crusades, or even things like "God hates gays," which in Christianity, at least, has been superceded by "Love thy neighbour" and "Judge not." Things that have been cherry picked, or done in God's name that rather go against the message of the scriptures.

*Buries head in art again*

And no, I'm not desperately well-versed in religion, because most of what I know of it I know through art history. I'm about 90% atheist, 9% agnostic, 1% other, and believe firmly in the ability of humanity to do things of great good, great beauty, and great evil. I hate it when people go out and try to convert people (whether by sword or by fear), but I think it's fine if someone goes to them and asks, "What's this all about?" and then converts or doesn't.

I guess I am curious and wonder about religion, but it's just not that important to me. I've got art to think about...

I'll read some stuff and get back to you.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #266
Fruitbat

LaBelle - it's no use trying to argue with someone whose entire argument is "You are dumb because of your beliefs" because they are too self-righteous. It is the same as those religious folks who say "Well my religion is better than yours, and to prove it I'm going to get a rocket laucher and destroy everyone in your religion".

And yeah before you say it Kontan I know you think I'm friggin' dumb and stupid and I don't give a rats ass what you think.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #267
Alan

Quote:
It's very telling that you're accusing them exactly of the opposite they're complaining about.
Time and time again they've said that they don't pragmatically mind religious fervor if it is put to good use, but the goodness of it by definition extends from its humanist undertones and the religious overtones are merely inconsequential, or at worse, counterproductive.

They're complaining about the very essence of religiosity, demanding an answer as to what would make religious goodness better than just human goodness.
And here you are accusing them about complaining only of what bad people do with religion?
Then answer me instead of them - there's no room for misunderstanding my point. This is the first concentrated post in this recent argument and I'm explicitly stating you the problem:
Tell me one sole legitimate reason for me to appreciate religiously fueled good deeds? Show me one sole example of a good deed that made better precisely by its religiosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
It is the same as those religious folks who say "Well my religion is better than yours, and to prove it I'm going to get a rocket laucher and destroy everyone in your religion".
Is it?
Do religious extremists give you logical reasons to construe their stance as the point-zero of further knowledge?
Do they appeal to induction, empiricism, the scientific method, or Occam's Razor?
Isn't it clear that you're just being hyperbolic at your attempt to feel superior to either of these two kinds of people?
For an objective person, wouldn't it be more accurate to compare them to a very jaded misanthrope who says "You've pissed me off with your inconsistent rationalizations that I won't have any burden on my conscience when I drive a sledgehammer through your nut sack" ?
Of course, if you think that saying
"to prove it here's infinite examples that your bullshit is inconsistent"
and
"to prove it I'm going to get a rocket laucher and destroy everyone in your religion"[sic]
are somehow even marginally analogous then yeah, you're 'friggin' dumb and stupid' because you actually fucking believe any type of antagonism towards you is exactly the same: from a scoff to FUCKING GENOCIDE. It's all the same to you because it's against you, right?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #268
Despanan

Thanks for explaining that Alan. Good to know someone is getting this.

Quote:
Okay Belle,

Alan pretty much already said this, and I already said it time and again, but I'm going to make it very simple.

Imagine this:

Take a good person, who really only wants to help their fellow man. They run an orphanage because they want t help kids without families. Now leave that good person the same, except they were raised Christian and believe in the bible. Because of the bible, they now believe that Homosexuality is a sin, and because the majority of religious communities reject homosexuals, children raised by homosexuals will have a much higher chance of rejecting Jesus. Since they believe that without Jesus, everyone goes to hell they relinquish their services because the government tells them they must allow gay adoption.

All they ever wanted to do was help the children, but no, those kids will grow up without loving parents; all because these otherwise good peole believed in Jesus and the bible.

I'm not saying religion is a good thing that bad people pervert, I'm saying religion is a BAD thing which perverts otherwise good people into being bad and makes bad people even worse.

Got it?
Quote:
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #269
KontanKarite

Quote:
LaBelle - it's no use trying to argue with someone whose entire argument is "You are dumb because of your beliefs" because they are too self-righteous. It is the same as those religious folks who say "Well my religion is better than yours, and to prove it I'm going to get a rocket laucher and destroy everyone in your religion".

And yeah before you say it Kontan I know you think I'm friggin' dumb and stupid and I don't give a rats ass what you think.
Fruitbat, you're incorrect. You're making the mistake by thinking firstly that atheism is a kind of religion. That's not true. It's a lack of faith/religion.

Also, I never said or even want to destroy people or physically hurt people because they're superstitious. Though I guess I am hurting some egos and some pride. I'm not being self-righteous, actually. I'm simply saying that because I'm an atheist, I'm acknowledging the superiority of my stance when it comes to religion. It states a negative and every other belief that one may hold is the one with the burden of proof, not me. The reason this is so and why it seems like I'm being self-righteous is because I CAN'T in good conscience say that it's inherently okay to be a theist. That would be me admitting that there is something possibly wrong with my lack of belief in the supernatural. At the least, I think people who are religious have a minor character flaw. It's not something worth killing or hurting people over. But you can't expect me to give their beliefs a courtesy or a level of respect it doesn't deserve.

Don't confuse me for being the same as an evangelical on the other end of some kind of spectrum. That's just not true.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #270
Despanan

I think it really speaks to our argument that there doesn't seem to be anything these people can bring to the table except the same tired straw-man.

I hereby declare victory. You all owe Kontan and I 50 internets each.
Quote:
Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #271
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Fruitbat, you're incorrect. You're making the mistake by thinking firstly that atheism is a kind of religion. That's not true. It's a lack of faith/religion.

Also, I never said or even want to destroy people or physically hurt people because they're superstitious. Though I guess I am hurting some egos and some pride. I'm not being self-righteous, actually. I'm simply saying that because I'm an atheist, I'm acknowledging the superiority of my stance when it comes to religion. It states a negative and every other belief that one may hold is the one with the burden of proof, not me. The reason this is so and why it seems like I'm being self-righteous is because I CAN'T in good conscience say that it's inherently okay to be a theist. That would be me admitting that there is something possibly wrong with my lack of belief in the supernatural.
So what sort of supernatural things don't you believe in? (curious - don't shoot me down for asking a question).

Quote:
At the least, I think people who are religious have a minor character flaw. It's not something worth killing or hurting people over. But you can't expect me to give their beliefs a courtesy or a level of respect it doesn't deserve.

Don't confuse me for being the same as an evangelical on the other end of some kind of spectrum. That's just not true.
What sort of character flaws are you talking about?

In my experience with religious folks, there is a lot of espoused theory and theory in practice anomolies.

I read the incorrect tone from what you guys were writing.

What I was trying to get at (while I was being attacked by a toddler) was saying "you are dumb" is not an argument. It closes people down to hearing what you have to say.

No one is dumb - they just either don't understand what you are saying (unclear communication) or else they have never considered the options before.

People have a right to their own beliefs and despite how much either of us think those beliefs are dumb, we can't change others beliefs. (Although we can plant seeds of doubt/alternative ideas in their minds and watch them grow).

Alan I love your use of big words. They make my brain hurt. (sorry to spoil your fun but I'm not biting).

I was addressing LaBelle because of what Kontan wrote in his post (below).

Quote:
Now you've just gone and made me a liar. Lady, this is one of the stupidest fucking things I've ever read.

Religion, especially the abrahemic ones, were created originally as a code of laws within the original culture. They made their code of laws a divine mandate, making it much more potent. But... you have no idea what you're talking about. You're once again, being a sensitive douche and appealing to a koombaya attitude as if it's somehow better to be polite and permissive than it is to being right. Religion wasn't made to make people feel better, it was made to control and guide behavior and culture.

Religion without divine mandate or without a sense of concrete law is pretty much just philosophy. You know, ideas to be considered, but can be ignored if you don't find them applicable.

This statement is almost as stupid as all of Saya's participation in this thread. She was dumb, but you're being dumb on a much more concentrated level.
Desp Man, 50 internets???? Can I knit you a scarf or something?

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #272
Alan

Wow dude, what types of words do you consider long?
I've read and reread my post and I cannot find a word you might object to.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #273
Despanan

Since Kontan is out, I'll field this one:

Quote:
So what sort of supernatural things don't you believe in? (curious - don't shoot me down for asking a question).
The ones which have no evidence and can't be proven. Ghosts, leprechauns, unicorns, and Jesus. Etc.

Quote:
The one where you believe in a superstition so much that you base your life on it.

Quote:
In my experience with religious folks, there is a lot of espoused theory and theory in practice anomolies.

What I was trying to get at (while I was being attacked by a toddler) was saying "you are dumb" is not an argument. It closes people down to hearing what you have to say.
Our argument was never "you are dumb" or "Christians are dumb". I stated that on the second page. Our argument was that Christianities scripture was clearly broken due to being blatantly self-contradicting, and thus why should any reasonable person use it as a guide for life and base their politics on it, let alone believe it's true.

Quote:
No one is dumb - they just either don't understand what you are saying (unclear communication) or else they have never considered the options before.
WTF is this kindergarten bullshit? PLENTY of people are dumb. Plenty of people lack intelligence.

Quote:
People have a right to their own beliefs and despite how much either of us think those beliefs are dumb, we can't change others beliefs. (Although we can plant seeds of doubt/alternative ideas in their minds and watch them grow).
That's what we're doing you friggin' moron! We have the right and the DUTY to point out just how stupid those beliefs are. Will doing so change the mind of a true believer? Of course not. But if we mock them and expose them for what they are, we can hope to convince fence-sitters, and make their beliefs politically and socially irrelevant.

Quote:
No. Also, every week you don't pay up, you'll incur 15% interest. We can talk about temporary deferment if you can show that you're on foodstamps and seeking full-time employment.
Quote:
Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #274
ape descendant

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #275
KontanKarite

Quote:
Well... I don't believe in the supernatural at all. I figured you could glean that from the discussion. This question is rather redundant.

Quote:

Well clearly, I think those that are superstitious or actually believe in the supernatural. That is their character flaw. Depending on how seriously they take it determines the degree of that character flaw.

Quote:

My language was indeed incendiary, but I was taking a hard stance on this. Not being incendiary would done nothing different in the discussion. As you can see, even the most secular of theists on here saw me as an opponent and saw me as incorrect. This thread was pretty much offensive from the get go. I knew what I was getting into. And technically, no. You don't have a right to your beliefs or your opinions because if you did, I'd have to observe certain duties to enforce that right such as considering their beliefs or opinions and concluding that they are right. But we can't have that. I'd love to expand on this, but someone pointed out the fallacy of the argument that people are entitled to their beliefs and opinions a long time ago. I wish I could find it. I think it'd be incredibly relevant in this thread. I had no intentions on being nice about this.

Quote:
Alan I love your use of big words. They make my brain hurt. (sorry to spoil your fun but I'm not biting).

I was addressing LaBelle because of what Kontan wrote in his post (below).
You see, this is why I don't like you and think you're dumb. Any dipshit can understand what Alan wrote, yet you lack the comprehension skills to grasp very basic communication. You must have the intellect of a horse.

Quote:
He already has a scarf. Dude sports this faggy home-made harry potter scarf all the time. Internets. Stand and deliver, ho.