Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #26
Elder

I was so proud of my last attempt at making sushi, I actually took photos of it. I haven't copied from the camera yet, but when I do, I post them.
Is posting them inline on the forum OK, or should they be linked?
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #27
Catch

I like California and Tuna Rolls. The smoked salmon or types of fish are good too. Unfortunately, can't eat shell fish. May or may not have an allergic reaction. Usually do have one though. Less likely to get sushi for that reason. Clams and lobster are the ones that really set it off, so cross contamination is a big issue.

As for making it, I do it differently. I'll pick up the sauce or use white wine and lemon juice to marinade. Make the rice and just cut the nori up into squares and wrap it like a wonton or cone.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #28
Elder

Hmm, like the idea of a Nori Wonton. Sounds cool. You could do the same with very fine omelette too I guess, instead of Nori.

I wonder about the Lemon Juice. Do you use wine, or wine vinigar? I never have mirin in, so i usually end of using dry sherry. I think the taste is a little strong though, so the next ones I make, I'm going to halve the ammount of sherry.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #29
TwistedKitsune

I want onigiri now...

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #30
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder
Hmm, like the idea of a Nori Wonton. Sounds cool. You could do the same with very fine omelette too I guess, instead of Nori.

I wonder about the Lemon Juice. Do you use wine, or wine vinigar? I never have mirin in, so i usually end of using dry sherry. I think the taste is a little strong though, so the next ones I make, I'm going to halve the ammount of sherry.
A nori omelet sounds good. However, as far as the white wine goes it is just substituting sake. (Have to marinade longer). I like wines like Riesling or the Zinfandel.

The secret to sushi is that it is actually cooked in highly acidic liquids. I think vinegar would leave a bad after taste though.

Here is a link to a how too thingy:

How to make Sushi
Old 05-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #31
Mr E Nigma

Salmon and cream cheese sushi is my favorite.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #32
spookypurple

Quote:
Only ever had YakiUdon at the Manchester Wagamamas. Cool concept though bench seating, everyone equal.

My favourite is the yasai cha han - fried rice with egg & tofu, plus a little bowl of miso AND pickles too! It appeals to the kid in me.

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #33
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedKitsune
Wooooah, I'm a walking encyclopedia!

You didn't mind me saying that, did you?

Hamlet
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #34
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Here is a link to a how too thingy:

How to make Sushi

Wow! That has gone straight into my favourites folder!

Thanks!

Hamlet
Old 05-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #35
WolfMoon

I've tried those 'sushi bars' they have in some of the asian restaruants around my part of town.

As much as I'd like to, I can't stomach the taste of any of it. It looks to pretty and inviting sitting there making my mouth water. Alas, I can't stomach it. Sushi, raw fish, whatever the hell it is. It doesn't taste as good as it looks.

I'd rather have some Thai Curry Chicken or Mushu Chicken. And don't hold the horse radish mustard!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #36
spookypurple

Thai Curry....

Drool.....

Hamlet
Old 05-22-2006, 02:23 AM   #37
Nocturne

Quote:
I actually do make some Vegetarian Maki to go along with the Salmon and prawn/shrimp.
The Girlfriend likes the red pepper cucumber and spring onion/scallion ones. She isn't veggie, but she isn't keen on many fish.

I did think about maybe trying making a roll with a plum sauce inside, using smoked Tofu and spring onion. The sweetness of the plump sauce and the bite of the onion would add the flavour while the smokiness of the tofu would add a depth and "texture" to it.

Hmmm, although not authentic, I can see how a Mozarella and tomato rull might work, especially if you used a sunblush tomato carefully drained of oil.
This thread is making my mouth water ...

The plum sushi I mentioned was "umekyu maki" (salted plum and cucumber) and I remember there were chunks of fruit in it, or maybe whole Japanese plums. The combination was salty and sweet, and very unusual.
I like your idea of using tofu - I've got tons of tofu still in the fridge ... I think I'll stop by the Asian shops, get all the rest of the ingredients and dust off my sushi making set ... smoked tofu and spring onion sounds like a treat ... thanks for the idea!
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:10 AM   #38
Elder

I've been thinking about the Tofu suhi too.
How about think sliced gridled (ridged grill pan) tofu to add texture to the curd, with either plum or teryaki sauce (very small amount) on the back of the slice, as a Nigiri?

I need to get some Nori and Rie, but I think I'm going to build this week up to making a Sushi dinner this weekend. Maybe for Sunday.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:43 AM   #39
Queenofdarkness57

Sushi makes me nauseous. :S
Old 05-22-2006, 06:06 AM   #40
Elder

You know, that might actually be easily explained.
Some times if the fish hasn't been flash froze to kill off parasites, or if cooked, not cooked properly, thant can cause stomach upsets.

The rice can be as big a problem. Badly cooked rice, or rice that wasn't allowed to cool properly before being chilled is one of the prime causes of food poisoning. Some people seem more susceptable to stomach bugs/digestive problems, and also, undercooked rice, if eaten in large enough quantities, especially with beer/carbonated sodas, can cause the rice to swell and cause all sorts of nasty stomach cramps/nausea and vomitting.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #41
Morrigan_Dubh

...Well, yeah, like any food that hasn't been cooked or handled properly...

My first night in Japan was spent at a Sashimi restaurant, guzzling beer and politely nibbling slices of raw tuna... I was jet-lagged and the heatof the Japanese summer was too much for me... this combination led to me spending my second day running from bed to toilet...

But I ADORE sushi and sashimi now. There are only three or four restaurants in my town (possibly country) that do sushi or sashimi, though One is a conveyor belt type - they have an "all you can eat" dealio which is good value, but actually a lot of the food that comes out on it is not actually sushi or sashimi...

I have tried making my own with the rolling mat and all, but I messed it up because the knife just wasn't sharp enough. I have all the ingredients (except the fillings) in my kitchen waiting for me to try again, though... *Must be brave*

I eat any kind of sushi except fish eggs. Even jellyfish sashimi is not bad - Surprisingly crunchy in texture. Oh, and beef sashimi is just something I don't think I could stomach.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #42
Elder

If you want to try the the Roe/egg based stuff, but don't want to look stupid in a restaurant, see if you can find lumpfish caviar.

I know it isn't the same as ikura, or ouni, or even real sturgeon caviar, but at a couple of £GBP for a small jar that needs to be eaten within a couple of days is worth trying. I have used it to make Maki and Gunkan because I wasn't sure if I would like it myself. But it is gourgeous in small doses. It is small black eggs, tightly packed, rather than the larger orange ones you normally see.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #43
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
You didn't mind me saying that, did you?

'course not, I need all the ego boosting I can get baby

I went out for sushi and sashimi on someone else's wallet last week...color me the happiest person on the planet for it, even if I did have to listen to her daughter, her boyfriend, and her daughter's other friend talking about silly gossipy stuff all evening.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #44
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Dubh

I have tried making my own with the rolling mat and all, but I messed it up because the knife just wasn't sharp enough. I have all the ingredients (except the fillings) in my kitchen waiting for me to try again, though... *Must be brave*
I found the secret is a plain bladed not serated knife, and make sure the blade is wet.
I if the knife is dry it will stick to the rice and pull the roll out of shape. Also, don't try to force the knife through. Use lots of light pressure strokes and let the knife do the work.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 AM   #45
Sanctus Dei

Wet blade? What for? I never had a sticking problem.... (and I made a crap load of sushi every night for three months straight) if your knife is ass sharp (as it should be) you just slide it down and across the roll and pull toward you until the knife is free. If you were in mass production the wet blade thing would be a little too daunting.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #46
Sharkman_75

Sushi is one of my favorite foods. I'm not going to list specific favorites (because it would be a long list). I will, however, mention the one sushi item that I didn't care for--sea urchin roe.

I may give it another shot in the future, but as it stands, that's the only thing I've had at a sushi bar that I didn't enjoy.
Sharkman_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:12 AM   #47
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
Wet blade? What for? I never had a sticking problem.... (and I made a crap load of sushi every night for three months straight) if your knife is ass sharp (as it should be) you just slide it down and across the roll and pull toward you until the knife is free. If you were in mass production the wet blade thing would be a little too daunting.
I unfortunatley don't have access to chef quality knives. And despite my best efforts, I've never managed to keep my favourite knife (a small lightweight cleaver) dealdly sharp, just less blunt.

It is fine for most things including slicing garlic wafer thin, and for shredding raw meat.
But it isn't a sushi knife, and it is a little less than perfect unless the blade is wetted, for slicing up maki.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 AM   #48
Elder

Oh, when I'm rolling, unless I'm attempting ISO rolls, I don't even bother with the plastic wrap.
I place the nori straight onto a wooden chopping board, add the rice and filling and roll by hand from that.

I guess my years of hand rolling cigarettes (before I quit last year) came in useful afterall.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #49
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
As for those little bamboo rolling sheets...pain in the fucking ass. Use plastic wrap if you have to use something.
Really? I'm thinking that may be a personal preference thing...I cover mine with plastic wrap, but my rolls turn to shyte if I don't have one....*ponders this mystery*

Old 05-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #50
angleangel_doom

After reading all of this I am coming to realize how freaking Frida Kahlo lazy I am.
I just buy mine from the Japanese market down the street.
They love me 'cause I buy so much.
Heh heh...
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote