Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Elysiume

Idea for a comic book

First of all, sorry for posting this in Literature, but it seemed like the best place for it to go. I came up with a concept for a new comic, and I wanted some feedback before I start drawing it. It's pretty developed, and I have som e ideas for the plotline. I'm thinking of titling it "Penny Dreadfuls", the main character is called Penny.
It takes place in an art school, run by a group of officious bureacrats who have no knowledge of art, and seem to despise their pupils, Penny in particular. Although it's a school, the place has the appearance of an abandoned prison camp. The main character is a student at this school. It's suggested that she used to be a brilliant portrait artist, before "realising" the insignificance of her work, and that no-one actually cared about her paintings. This has driven her insane, and she now devotes herself to her "new project", a collection of gruesome paintings containing human blood, mutilated dolls and other far more disgusting things. The reason she gives for this is that people have been desensetised, and the only way to make them feel something is to shock and horrify them. Although it's implied that she uses the blood and internal organs of others in her artwork, she is never actually shown committing any acts of violence. She is repeatedly expelled from the school, (once because of the "glue gun incident"), but is reluctant to leave.
The other main character is Penny's best, and seemingly only friend, another student named Dee. She hates the people who run the school, and is generally aggressive to most people other than Penny. She creates wonderful still life painting, but usually ends up destroying them in a fit of rage. Despite this, she is often presented as penny's "light" side, and it's occasionally sugested that one is merely the figment of the other's imagination. There is also a female janitor, who is convinced that Penny and Dee are evil, and often tries to destroy their various pieces.

So yeah, some feedback would be great. As soon as I finish the first story, I think I'm going to post it on **********.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Sir. Helpmann

Sorry but your story has no direction.

Keep it simple.

What's the basic premise? I cannot be bothered to skim through your collection of poorly devised plot narratives.
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Elysiume

Ah, sorry, I meant to post this under Literature. Oh well.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
Ah, sorry, I meant to post this under Literature. Oh well.
Answer the question:

What's the basic premise?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
jack_the_knife

If you change the concept slightly it could be worth reading.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_knife
If you change the concept slightly it could be worth reading.
It wont be worth reading though because:

A) He's not even formally educated
B) He's not read enough literature
C) He's a retard.

Anyone can come up with a plot or a concept, that's easy.

This idea will just end up like the millions of over poorly written pieces of trash that clutter the internet. Akin to Fanfiction.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Helpmann
This idea will just end up like the millions of over poorly written pieces of trash that clutter the internet. Akin to Fanfiction.
Good point, I never looked at it from this perspective. It's going to end up on the black hole shelf of the internet along with cheesy poems, bad comics and crap novels...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Saya

I'd honestly have to see it to tell you if its a good idea or not. Some of my favourite comics have the weirdest premise to them but they're written and drawn so well it pulls it off. If its a detailed plan and you know where you want to take it and how to end it, then draw what you can and let us see ^_^
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Man In Room 5

Is this to be a series or a one shot graphic novel sort of thing? I think it would make a good graphic novel but I'm not sure it would sustain itself over a series.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
Elysiume

Quote:
It wont be worth reading though because:

A) He's not even formally educated
B) He's not read enough literature
C) He's a retard.

Anyone can come up with a plot or a concept, that's easy.

A) Last time I checked, I was female.
B) I have read plenty of literature.
C) I am not mentally disabled, I have a certificate to prove it.

As for the premise, it's mainly about creative people struggling against the oppressive systems that claim to be educating them, while trying to preserve their imagination and talent. That's about it really, but there are other subplots I'm trying to work into it.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #11
Sir. Helpmann

Why are you idiots even attempting to offer encouragement? To get your post count up? To trick yourselves into thinking you're nice people?

The idea is terrible. Everyone on this forum that comes up with ideas for "novels", "comics" or "screenplays" will never get it done.

Want to know why?

Because they're all teenagers who don't understand how the fuck the world works.

HumanPain is an exception - he's middle aged and calls himself a "writer". That's cheap - he's not a writer, he isn't even published. Simply writing for internet forums does not make you a writer, nor does having a youtube account entitle you to the title "director".

Sort your fucking heads out and inject a little reality people.

It's all getting a little pathetic.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Bat Attack

Quote:
As for the premise, it's mainly about creative people struggling against the oppressive systems that claim to be educating them, while trying to preserve their imagination and talent. That's about it really, but there are other subplots I'm trying to work into it.
Well obviously they’re going to struggle. You can’t teach creativity.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
Well obviously they’re going to struggle. You can’t teach creativity.
Exactly - the bitch can't even fathom the art world. I doubt she's even been invited to a private art show, or even knows what art school she belongs to.

I blame Deviant Art and myspace - it has given the most mediocre and unworthy of individuals a sense of unwarranted self-improtance.

'Brave New World' springs to mind.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
jack_the_knife

Yes, but that's true of all things. Once you make something available to the masses it gets polluted with mediocrity, or even worse, horrifically boring work.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
Bat Attack

Quote:
Exactly - the bitch can't even fathom the art world. I doubt she's even been invited to a private art show, or even knows what art school she belongs to.

I blame Deviant Art and myspace - it has given the most mediocre and unworthy of individuals a sense of unwarranted self-improtance.

'Brave New World' springs to mind.
Yes, it’s pointless to make a comic about such a matter, because there’s nothing there to make a comic about. As I said, creativity cannot be taught, so they’re bound to struggle “trying to preserve their imagination and talent”, so what? Hmm I’m not sure exactly how to explain it, but that’s just how it is and you can’t get any points across. What I mean is the comic will have no purpose or conclusion.

Also I think your plot sounds rather tacky. It seems as though you have forced madness and gore/eeriness into it, just because you want to write about madness and gore/eeriness. It is rather difficult to master subjects such as madness etc, authors such as Roald Dahl and Edgar Allan Poe however have mastered it well, but you have thrown them together without any care creating a tacky combination, whereas flamboyance and class is needed.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
Also I think your plot sounds rather tacky. It seems as though you have forced madness and gore/eeriness into it, just because you want to write about madness and gore/eeriness. It is rather difficult to master subjects such as madness etc, authors such as Roald Dahl and Edgar Allan Poe however have mastered it well, but you have thrown them together without any care creating a tacky combination, whereas flamboyance and class is needed.
This is a good point, but I think she should still try it anyway. You don't get good at something unless you practice, and you learn just as much from failing as you do from succeeding. So to do this as a hobby and to practice comic writing? I think she should go for it. Just don't expect it to be the next Crow ^_^
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
This is a good point, but I think she should still try it anyway. You don't get good at something unless you practice, and you learn just as much from failing as you do from succeeding. So to do this as a hobby and to practice comic writing? I think she should go for it. Just don't expect it to be the next Crow ^_^
Don't be so pathetic.

Young people should just keep their head in the dirt , grow up and get a personality worthy of attention.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #18
Scrumptious Bitch

Helpman are you always such a bitter twisted cunt? Get yourself a life and stop being so hateful. They say that people who are always hateful do so because they hate themselves and im starting to think that this might actually be true. all you do is go around putting people down because your own life has no value to it, and so write everyone off as trash just because you yourself cant do anything.
Scrumptious Bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
It takes place in an art school, run by a group of officious bureacrats who have no knowledge of art, and seem to despise their pupils
I'm sorry, that idea is simply ridiculous. I can't suspend my disbelief THAT far.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #20
Necrophagist

You're not worthy of attention, but you spend years seeking it.
Either way, horrible plot - into the trash!

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Eclipsing the Son

Garbage. Sounds like something written in an attempt to get back at an art teacher for giving you a well deserved poor grade on a project.

It's simply not the way art schools work. Utterly unbelievable and scattered.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #22
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumptious Bitch
Helpman are you always such a bitter twisted cunt? Get yourself a life and stop being so hateful. They say that people who are always hateful do so because they hate themselves and im starting to think that this might actually be true. all you do is go around putting people down because your own life has no value to it, and so write everyone off as trash just because you yourself cant do anything.
You're a hypocrite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumptious Bitch
This has to be said.

Everyone who has posted or has taken part in this drama is retarded. Helpmann and co are retarded for getting such sick and twisted pleasure in winding people up, and Despanan and co are retarded because they is playing right into their hands.

Im starting to think everyone here is enjoying this drama.

These are ATTENTION whores people. God damn, why are you giving them what they want? It's like appeasing Hitler. They will just come back for more and more and in the end you will all lose your credability as members of gnet.

meh, thats my opinion anyway.

ciao xxx
Live by your own pescriptions "darling" - trying to forge a personality for yourself are we? Trying to get involved and yet seem detatched at the same time?

Don't even bother.

PS - Thanks for being a fan "sweetheart"...

"xxx"
Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #23
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
Garbage. Sounds like something written in an attempt to get back at an art teacher for giving you a well deserved poor grade on a project.

It's simply not the way art schools work. Utterly unbelievable and scattered.
For the record, the lowest grade I ever recieved on a project was an A-. And I know that's not how art schools work, it's fiction . Anyway, if you're not mature enough to actually give me some constructive feedback, then there's no point listening to your bitchy rants.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #24
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
For the record, the lowest grade I ever recieved on a project was an A-. And I know that's not how art schools work, it's fiction . Anyway, if you're not mature enough to actually give me some constructive feedback, then there's no point listening to your bitchy rants.
Lowest grade in what? "High School"?

Come back when you've done something in university and then trump your grades dumbass.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #25
Lolly PopMuzik

Hate to break it to ya but there is nothing that makes your concept stand out from being like all the other goth comics out there. And I believe there is already a character (at least in stationary, anyway) named Penny Dreadful.