Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Despanan

Go to Jail

Go Directly to Jail. Do not make this stupid movie, do not collect any money:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/12...rect-monopoly/
Quote:
Ridley Scott Passes Go, Collects $200 To Direct ‘Monopoly’
Published by Elisabeth Rappe on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 10:49 am.

Monopoly (Hasbro)You might suffer a bit of a headache trying to puzzle out which part of this story is stranger — the fact that Universal is going ahead with a movie based on a board game, or who’s directing it. Because The Hollywood Reporter has just announced that Ridley Scott is officially on board to direct “Monopoly” for the studio. Pamela Pettler (”The Corpse Bride, “Monster House”) has been brought on board to write the screenplay, and has the tough task of shaping a narrative out of the real estate game play.

Crazily enough, “Monopoly” is one of several Hasbro games being adapted by Universal. They’re also developing “Quiji Board” and “Battleship,” and it’s only a matter of time before we get “Candyland.”

But back to Scott and “Monopoly.” The director is looking to give the movie a “futuristic sheen” along the lines of his iconic “Blade Runner.” But unfortunately, imagining that only makes you wonder what the heck the director of something so brilliant as “Blade Runner” sees in a board game adaptation. Then again, we all kind of snickered at the idea of movies based on Disney rides, and that whole “Pirates of the Caribbean” thing turned out all right. But it’s difficult to get past memories of hotels on Boardwalk, and fights over who gets to play with the pewter dog and who is stuck being the top hat.
I propose Ridley Scott be placed on "Career Suicide" watch for the next couple of years.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
HellforgedX

Kinda reminds me of this.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Beneath the Shadows

They might as well film a few people actually playing the game, and call that the movie.

And "Ouiji board?" What the fuck? At least "Battleship" could have some potential, despite it's lack of originality. (I can see it being something like "The Enemy Below.")

That's next... Boggle?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
They might as well film a few people actually playing the game, and call that the movie.

And "Ouiji board?" What the fuck? At least "Battleship" could have some potential, despite it's lack of originality. (I can see it being something like "The Enemy Below.")

That's next... Boggle?
Is Ouiji Board even an actual game? Or even a source of entertainment? I mean... I can imagine a session going something like this:

Person A: Hey! Let's play Ouiji!
Person B: Ooh! Sounds fun!
Person A: I'll get the board!
(8 hours later)
Person B: So... is your hand possessed, yet?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Despanan

Someone on another forum posted this. I like it:

Quote:
I can't wait for Frank Miller's Stratego!

The blues were there -- you could smell them across the battlefield. Advancing, retreating, relentless in their cruelty. My eyes lock on the one unmoving blue at the fore of their ranks. I've seen the others milling around this f***, even when it would be easier if he stepped aside. I can feel it in my bones -- that bastard's a decoy, a bomb, one of those six relentless, unfeeling, unmoving sons of bitches even the high and mighty Marshall can't take down. That's where I come in. I'm a Miner, and bombs are my prey. I don't hesitate, hestitate out here and you're dead.

I challenge. Show your rank, bitch.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Yeah this is when you know Hollywood is going to hell, they've run out of video games to screw up on and now they're going to board games.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote