Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Raveanya

To Pierce Or Not To Pierce?

I'm really debating with myself, one of my awesome friends (College Freshman) is apprenticing at a tattoo and piercing place. I kind of told her I'd let her practice on me after her "master" said she was good enough to practice on people. (I won't be her first, but one of them) I really just don't know, see, I'll really be pissing off my folks because I want lip piercings, a tongue ring and multiple ear piercings. They said none or I won't get my license but since I got it already, the worst they can do is take away my car for a week or a month at the worst. Nonetheless my friend won't be sticking around in my hometown a lot longer, she's moving to Florida and I don't see another chance to get a semi-pro piercing job (She'll have all the supplies and resources of a pro) I'm really debating with myself on whether I should or not. I don't want to leave her hanging but I really don't know if it's still a good idea.

Any thoughts on this? Really I don't think I'll have a cheaper alternative other than DIY and I've had my share of bad experiences with that. I definitely want them done though when I did DIY the whole time I was thinking that I was going to do it myself. -.-; (I was 14 and naive) To pierce or not to pierce?
Raveanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

How old are you?
Why do you care so much about piercings?
Why don't you listen to your parents?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Solumina

Depending on your age they can actually have your license revoked for a period of time (I believe it is up to six months in my state) so yeah they can still use that against you even though you already got your license.

Also parents should generally be listened to, especially if they are providing you with food, shelter, clothing, and the like. I'm sure piercings seem really expensive now but honestly they aren't that pricey and you will have plenty of opportunity to get one from a real professional once you are supporting yourself.

As a side note my cousin had a friend who was a professional tattoo artist and he gave her a tat at his house, he had access to professional equipment and used that but it still wasn't done in a professional setting and A) it didn't turn out quite as well as she had hoped and B) she had a hell of a time healing as she got a lovely infection from the less than sterile conditions (even though the equipment was sterile there is still a lot of other thing to be considered).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Bloodflowers

I've always been interested in body modification and at the present moment I have 33 piercings and 15 tattoos (heh, though that's counting a half sleeve as just one...) and my parents are extremely conservative and have always and will always hate, hate, HATE body modifications. They even forbid me from getting 2nd holes in my ear lobes (and I was 17 at that time!). So I simply waited until I moved out on my own and was self sufficent... then modified to my heart's content!
Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Depending on your age they can actually have your license revoked for a period of time (I believe it is up to six months in my state) so yeah they can still use that against you even though you already got your license.

Also parents should generally be listened to, especially if they are providing you with food, shelter, clothing, and the like. I'm sure piercings seem really expensive now but honestly they aren't that pricey and you will have plenty of opportunity to get one from a real professional once you are supporting yourself.

As a side note my cousin had a friend who was a professional tattoo artist and he gave her a tat at his house, he had access to professional equipment and used that but it still wasn't done in a professional setting and A) it didn't turn out quite as well as she had hoped and B) she had a hell of a time healing as she got a lovely infection from the less than sterile conditions (even though the equipment was sterile there is still a lot of other thing to be considered).
As an ex/current pro piercer, I second all of this.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Lochnar

Yet another nod of agreement to waiting. You will have more time for this when you move out and are not under parental guidance.
Lochnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Malice In Wonderland

I've paid for all my piercings/related jewellery and shit and it was definitely worth waiting.
I'd feel that if I got mine all done closer together for free I really wouldn't have felt the same about them and would have been more inclined to go over the top with it.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

Go with the advice Solumina and PoS have said, they know what they're talking about.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Ophelia's Snorkel

You haven't got that much longer until you're an adult and can make these decisions without your parents' consent. I agree that you should wait. Piercings are not at all expensive, though you always have the option of trying DIY again (all mine except the original standard ear piercings are DIY), and if you wait you really will appreciate them far more. Sneaking around behind your parents' back seems like cheating yourself out of an experience that can be personally empowering. It's - I don't know how else to put this - a baby thing to do.