Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #151
Mir

I hate to break it to you but a band isn't suddenly going to materialize and fall into your lap.

Besides, doing it alone is far more of an educational experience as you learn to do so many other things besides just play guitar.

It isn't about how well you play, it is about the song and how well the guitar part fits within the song. Doing everything else will force you to realize this and you will stop focusing on the guitar parts and more on the actual song.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #152
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
*growls, and then smashes his guitar into his amp, he then kicked up s cloud of dust*DAMMIT!!! I HATE NOT HAVING A BAND!!! HAVING TO WRITE THE BASS LINES, GUITAR TUNE... DRUM BEATS... RECORD... DAMMIT....*pulls a gibson LP out of thin air, and continues playing guitar on his tree stump*
I've done all that for two years and you don't see me bitching. The problem with band members is, each one has a different vision of what the band should be. If you're the only member, you can actually do what you want to do with the music.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #153
Duane

Lol, I just felt like posting that. PLEH... I'd rather be a solo act, than have a band, and not be able to do what I want to do. Besides, even if I had a band... they'd most likely only want to do this for fun, as there aren't many "serious" musicians here...*re-strings his bass, and begins to play some "The Cure"*
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #154
Rorschach Twin

Quote:
Lol, I just felt like posting that. PLEH... I'd rather be a solo act, than have a band, and not be able to do what I want to do. Besides, even if I had a band... they'd most likely only want to do this for fun, as there aren't many "serious" musicians here...*re-strings his bass, and begins to play some "The Cure"*
And you say doing something for fun like it is bad? How can you put a dichotomy between musicians who want to have fun and those who are serious? To my understanding, one can be both at the same time.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #155
MOUSEBLOOD

Quote:
What would be better, a Gibson SG, or Gibson Les Paul?
I'm addicted to CARVIN guitars. They have that deep rich haunting tone.
MOUSEBLOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #156
MOUSEBLOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
I've done all that for two years and you don't see me bitching. The problem with band members is, each one has a different vision of what the band should be. If you're the only member, you can actually do what you want to do with the music.
Every band needs to have a leader or it won't last very long. Even then there are always conflicts. Boy could I tell some stories about mixing songs for an album. I suppose if you're in a "real" band you have a label and a producer and an engineer to tell you how things should be done. When the band has "creative control" you get 4, 5. 6 or 7 different ideas about how a song should be mixed.
MOUSEBLOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #157
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
It must be tough finding band mates. I get that problem. I played some riffs for a friend and he wanted to;

a) keep two riffs and leave one out.
b) form a band with me.

I said no because he wanted to drop one of the riffs. haha.
I just started doing it myself...lol! No conflict then. Me and my friends occasionally help eachother out with parts in recordings and get advice and tricks from one another, that is about it.

I dropped out of the first band I was in, I was just the vocalist but after 4-5 years I got bored of what we were doing and because it was all falling apart. Plus, I felt stupid being in a Black Metal band but I don't really listen to much of it.
I formed a drone doom band recently but the other guitarist seems more interested in playing exceptionally fast...which obviously makes drone a bad choice...lol!

So, in the long run...playing music with other people doesn't oft work out for me...which is lame, i'd love to do it. I think it's about finding truly like minded people really...which is rare.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #158
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
I'm going to jump straight to;

What kind of effects/pedals do you use to get the said drone-y sounds?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #159
Pirate

Been playing since i was a kid.
Guitars
Gibson voodoo explorer
Ibenez rg series
fender precision bass
Acoustic black widow bass

Can play most of the sisters and mission songs plus anything that takes my fancy
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #160
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin
And you say doing something for fun like it is bad? How can you put a dichotomy between musicians who want to have fun and those who are serious? To my understanding, one can be both at the same time.
Don't assume anything. I didn't say there was anything bad/wrong about having fun playing music. I just prefer doing this for a living, and not just to pass time/etc.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #161
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach Twin

With my band, I seriously want to have fun.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #162
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
I'm going to jump straight to;

What kind of effects/pedals do you use to get the said drone-y sounds?
Well, I've probably got a different amp to you aswell. It's partly amp aswell.

But! I have a zoom G2 and you can make some HORRIBLE! distortion on it, I like to put some delay on it aswell...just for extra sustain. You also have to turn the bass and reverb up quite alot....no treble, Some middle or you'll lose alot of the sound.

I would say that you definately need distortion and delay. You can use any pedal though...just experiment, I do it all the time. Nothing is set in stone.

Oh! and if it works for you...make your amp feedback then turn the bass and treble right up and the middle right down. It makes the feedback go CKRCKRCKRCKR rather than EEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #163
Mir

Quote:

Lets say I drop down to C standard, turn the low end all the way up, turn down the highs and have the mids set to midway with delay/reverb and distortion (I have a Pod XT Live, yay for me, which I just plug to some sub-par speakers. I've long since stopped using my Marshall 15W practice amp), could you tab out something for me or point me to something you've uploaded to help me gat a better idea of the sound you're going for.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #164
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Lets say I drop down to C standard, turn the low end all the way up, turn down the highs and have the mids set to midway with delay/reverb and distortion (I have a Pod XT Live, yay for me, which I just plug to some sub-par speakers. I've long since stopped using my Marshall 15W practice amp), could you tab out something for me or point me to something you've uploaded to help me gat a better idea of the sound you're going for.
I say...try dropping to B or A. What you described though, will give you your best sound.

Marshall is really good for drone, I have a MG100DFX, it's sensual...Makes it sound really nasty.

Well I do have something for you...

This isn't my drone band but is my noise/dark ambient project which has drones and different kinds of feedback: www.myspace.com/clinictwentyfive

I also have this that I recorded for the other guitarist, it's depressive sounding which probably makes it a tad doomy...but...it has the drone sound and feel.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...7617EE3A1700DC
Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #165
Mir

Am I correct in assuming that you have a volume pedal/control that you are manipulating on the drone/feedback? (at least on one of the tracks I've heard)
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #166
TopHaggardDoll

No...I do this thing where I play a chord with the volume on the guitar set to 0 and as soon as I play the chord, turn it up. Then you only get the ambience that follows.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:55 AM   #167
Mir

Two questions;

a) Major/Minor or Fifth chords?
b) Strike the chord, keep the chord fretted and turn the volume up?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #168
TopHaggardDoll

any chord....and exactly that....
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #169
Mir

Awesome. Thanks for all that information. I'll experiment and try to put something up later. Let's see if our idea of droney stuff is at all similar.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:10 AM   #170
TopHaggardDoll

It's okay, I can't wait to hear what you come up with!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #171
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUSEBLOOD
Every band needs to have a leader or it won't last very long. Even then there are always conflicts. Boy could I tell some stories about mixing songs for an album. I suppose if you're in a "real" band you have a label and a producer and an engineer to tell you how things should be done. When the band has "creative control" you get 4, 5. 6 or 7 different ideas about how a song should be mixed.
Then it's a good idea I'm the only member. My girl's awaiting a new bass before she joins, but we're on the same page when it comes to music tastes. We have a producer as well, but he's always busy with his job and family. I'm planning on taking music production in college, so I've got that covered.

Quote:
Don't assume anything. I didn't say there was anything bad/wrong about having fun playing music. I just prefer doing this for a living, and not just to pass time/etc.
So, you're playing music for the money, not because you enjoy it. You'll probably end up making generic, mainstream-appealing music, as it turns out the best profit.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #172
Mir

Quote:
It's okay, I can't wait to hear what you come up with!
I've IM'd you a link to the track!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #173
Duane

Not for the money, either. I want to do this for a living, for the riding around in a bus/van around the country, meet new people/make friends/etc. Basically, for the experience. Plenty of time for fun, messing around, money, blah blah blah, but the experience itself, is what I care about.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #174
Mir

I play guitar because I like/want to. I don't care for any of that other shit.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #175
Stormtrooper of Death

OK, if you really like music Duane, you will do what Black Flag did. Trust me, you will not make money. I sure as hell don't.