Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #176
akhira

Yup Tstone's right again. Stay away from Dan Brown.

Just read "The Da Vinci Code". Scholarly guy chasing after the holy grail with a ..hold your breath for cliche.. beautiful brilliant cryptologist. For a guy having done a lot of research on art & secret societies.. he can't even get his professional titles right. I mean symbologist? It's iconographer ya fucktard. ONce gain the author vastly understimates the vaerage readers, intelligence. With a few codes that can be broken so easliy and don't need a roundabout way ofsolving things.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:15 AM   #177
skoteinh

Die Geschichten Jaacobs by Thomas Mann - in Greek, not German!

I guess the english title would be something like "Jacob's Stories"
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #178
ThwanCondu

Luelinus, EC is so great, and Terry Pratchett is the man.

I'm reading The Vampire Lestat. Feel like such a fucking loser for giving into Anne Rice, but it's my black soul, you know? :roll:
I'm also read Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams. That's the third Hitch Hiker's book. Fucking genius.
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #179
akhira

I'm reading a Ninja spoof Manuel. :?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:45 AM   #180
a_S

I'm reading "Intermediate Algebra: Graphs and functions".... man... I don't understand half of it :?
a_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #181
Jane13

Algebra sucks :x I'm currently reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Sense and Sensibility. I live in such a hick town. The Lybrarian pronounced it "No- tar Daim", like the name of a town in these here parts. I t just suprised me when the librarian said it 0.o
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #182
TeapotScar

I'm reading "Le Mariage de Figaro" and "Candide". Come to think of it, I'm not reading anything in English right now. Odd.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #183
ice

I just finished The Idiot by Dostoyevski, and now I'm re-reading Spies Beneath Berlin (because I stopped about 1/3 through and lost my place).

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #184
drgnlvr

I just finished reading "Hottest Blood". It's an anthology of erotic horror.

Interesting genre. :?
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #185
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
I'm reading "Le Mariage de Figaro" and "Candide". Come to think of it, I'm not reading anything in English right now. Odd.
I liked Candide, but I read it in English. I'm such a cheater.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #186
winged_dreams

I've read some of those books although it was a long time ago. I enjoy them quite a bit. Wasn't Ruth the dragon that was small and white?

I'm still trying to finish The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. It's long and I enjoy it but I don't find that much time to read.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:45 AM   #187
drgnlvr

I'm getting my first taste of William Gibson! I'm reading "Pattern Recognition".
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #188
Nike

I did my last exams for my literature studies yesterday...I hope I have passed them...so here are some of my recent reads...nice stuff
everything by E.T.H. Hoffmann - I enjoyed it. everything.
some of Dürrenmatt's shorter stories, like "The tunnel" was good, too.
Meyrinck - The Golem - also a nice one.
...reread some Kafka stuff, Grillparzer, Goethe's ballads, Bürger(love it. Exspecially Lenore. wonderful ballad. I never thought I would ever like ballads so much)...Shelley (both of them), Walpole,Redcliff, M. Lewis, Poe...
and some theoretics:
E. Burke: Reflections on the Revolution in France
Novalis: Die Christenheit oder Europa
Schubert: Nachtseiten der Naturwissenschaft
E. Young: Nightthoughts - this one was very interesting

There were some more. I'm pretty tired now. reading so many books often enough hat you are remembering the details is somewhat exhausting. But it was fun, too.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:43 PM   #189
Solumina

Ovid's Metamorphoses, I really love it but some of it is a bitch to translate
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #190
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnlvr
I'm getting my first taste of William Gibson! I'm reading "Pattern Recognition".
Hey, that's the book I'm reading too! I've read Neuromancer and Count Zero before, and I loooved those. Inbetween I'm also reading Knut Hamsun's tragic love story Victoria.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:43 AM   #191
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnlvr
Hey, that's the book I'm reading too! I've read Neuromancer and Count Zero before, and I loooved those. Inbetween I'm also reading Knut Hamsun's tragic love story Victoria.
Have you gotten very far into it? I got sidetracked, and hadn't gotten past chapter one, yet.

I was wondering if it's as good as I hear the other two are.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:54 AM   #192
pitseleh

Gotten far into Pattern Recognition, you mean? I've only just started it, about to begin on chapter 3. So far, so good, but it's more Glamorama than Count Zero, to put it like that. Just surface, no real action yet.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #193
edible_eye

1984 by george orwell. i think i read it in high school - don't really remember it, though. winston's a whiny, oblivious shit-head. i hope he'll be vaporized.

tstone - i'm both ecstatic and repulsed at the prospect of reading d.t. 7. i both want and don't want it to end. good for you for taking the plunge.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #194
Jane13

I finished reading Brian Fraud and Alan Lee's "Fairies". I grew up reading a pop-up book by them, but this was an incredible collaboration of stories and myths with absolutely incredible illustration. If you've never read it, read it.

Now I'm reading "The Inferno" by Dante.
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #195
Nike

heh, Jane, that book is always on my table. The illustration work in it belongs to my all time favourites. No. Actually it is my all time favourite, I think. It has a wonderful combination of a good sense of humor, tragic myths, and both beautiful and funny illustration.
Check the other books illustrated by Lee, too, such as the Mabinogion, Tolkiens Rings, The Hobbit, his Lord of the Rings illustrations, and so on if you like his work...I love everything done by Alan Lee, but the combination with Froud's work is making "Fairies" so very special in my eyes...

( no worries, I'm done with my praise now )
Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #196
Jane13

Awesome! I heard he also helped design fairy and goblin images and such for the movies Lord of The Rings(all three), The Dark Chrystal, Labrynth, and Merlin ^.^
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #197
Nike

Alan Lee and John Howe are responsible for quite everything that happened in the LotR movies. The two of them were the chiek graphic directors. In my opinion that's why the movie turned out so good. They didn't only make the monsters and other character concepts, but also all the architecture and environment stuff, they really did great work there .... I enjoyed the dokus on the LotR extended version DVDs... If you go through Alan Lee's illustrated Lord of the Rings books, you'll find a lot of parallels in the movies...ah...btw. the LotR conceptart books are great, too.....

hah, I've lied again. My praise hasn't been over so soon
Old 03-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #198
Jane13

When I have money I know what to buy at the bookstore, then
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-18-2005, 09:00 AM   #199
pitseleh

Do webcomics count? Yeah, they do. In that case, I'm currently perusing the philosophical panels of Cat and Girl and also the insane Leisure Town. Lots o' fun!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #200
stonesoul1

for an intelectual bent

I'm reading "Goth:Identity and Subculture" by paul hodkinson, facinatinglook at goth from various sociological perspectives by a goth sociologist,,, high recomendation
stonesoul1 is offline   Reply With Quote