Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Linen

Yeah, that'd be greaaaaatttt....

(anyone catch that reference?)

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm a full-time secretary, and a psychology (undergrad) major. I like writing short stories and poetry, singing, playing piano and flute/piccolo and listening to my husband play guitar, camping & doing outdoorsy-stuff, photography, etc.

2. Where are you from?
I have lived in four different states, but right now I live in TN, US. I hate living in the South in general, but I like the college-town atmosphere.

3. Who is your favorite author?
I don't read a lot of fiction anymore, but what I read the most of is Steven King novels. Mostly I enjoy reading psych textbooks, case studies, and biographies or autobiographies about peoples' lives dealing with abuse or mental illness, etc. I also read psychological research journals.

4. What are your favorite films?
I mostly like comedies & scary movies (the cheesier the better)! Office Space, Super Troopers, The Godfather trilogy, The Garden State, Good Will Hunting, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Chicago, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, A Beautiful Mind, Don't Say A Word, Prozac Nation, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, The Untouchables, The Wedding Singer, Pirates of the Carribean, Austin Powers trilogy, Scream trilogy, Spaceballs... I could go on forever.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I'm already married & we ended up going to the justice of the peace. I have no idea what we would've played.

6. At your funeral?
Sarah McLachlan (yes cliche I know), Jewel, Evanescence, Green Day, Third Eye Blind, Coldplay.... I dunno I really like sappy/sad/reminiscing type music. Either that or play something totally goofy like Weird Al just to make people laugh or be like WTF?

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Hmm... drowning is fun. I think it's a rather elegant way to die, although some would beg to differen considering how bloated you become afterwards. Ugh. Perhaps in some dramatic way? I'm not sure.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
a dark rich wood w/a cream-colored lining & one of those little "keepsake drawers"

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My birthday suit! Not in public though. Other than that I just like things that are comfy - long skirts, jeans, or black pants. I don't really have a favorite particular outfit. I just wear whatever feels good for that day or situation. My clothes are pretty dorky, though. I just feel like a bafoon most of the time, no matter what I wear.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Not having to pay bills. :P

11. What's your favorite band?
It's a toss-up between Green Day and Evanescence. I really loved No Doubt too, but I don't like Gwen Stefani's new stuff. Most of my other faves are individual artists rather than bands - being a musician myself I'm pretty big on people who can actually read & write music and play instruments as opposed to being in some pre-fab group.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I'm half-way through my bachelor's degree in Psychology. After that I would like to pursue at least a master's or higher. My ultimate goal is to be a Psychology professor and do research, writing, and therapy as well.

13. Why did you join?
I don't really consider myself to really fit into any particular category, but I have always been fascinated with the gothic "lifestyle" so-to-speak. I've been lurking this forum for just a little while, and I thought the DIY clothing thread was just awesome. Some of those designs are just lovely! I've made purses and such myself out of old pant-legs before, and now I've been inspired to go thrifting & closet-searching for some clothes I can make myself. Okay that was somewhat OT... sorry for the babbling.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
female

Random:
~I'm 23, married, and I have a cat named Jamie (she's psycho, but adorable all the same). No kids yet - not for a couple of years probably.

~I'm a pretty silly/easily amused person, so it surprises people to know that I've been on & off of antidepressants for over 4 years. I also have suffered from bulimia for a long time, so weight is a sensitive subject with me.

~I'm an only child of divorced parents (raised by mother), an Aquarius, liberal, and agnostic.

~I can be very sarcastic, so please let me know if I've said something that offended you.

Sorry if this is TMI, I do tend to blabber on sometimes...
Oh and I probably won't get to be back online to respond to any responses until Monday or perhaps later this weekend as I don't have internet at home right now.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
She_Is_My_Sin

Ooh lots of information!

(that's good by the way)

Welcome Linen, I hope you enjoy your time here.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
11. What's your favorite band?
... Green Day ...

~I can be very sarcastic, so please let me know if I've said something that offended you.
I'll say I'm offended.

Greenday??!

Fuck you.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
cradle

There is nothing wrong with greenday, it's just thier new stuff that gets me.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle
There is nothing wrong with greenday...
YOU SIT UPON A THRONE OF LIES!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
cradle

Hmm, then tell me...What is wrong with them?
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle
Hmm, then tell me...What is wrong with them?
That would take way, way too long.

I'm not one of those Gothic-moosic-only-please snobs. I have ecclectic music tastes. One of my favourite artists is John Denver. (To all of you who are laughing... fuck you.)

I will tell you what Greenday has done right, though. It is a much quicker list to type.

1. Dominated Love Slave
[/END LIST]
Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
2-D

you are such a wierd...you just don't say Fuck You cause someone likes something you don't.
that's childish.

Green Day speaks their mind.
And then, started a trend for other bands to do the same.American Idiot was contraversial(sp?) and maybe did offend some..people..but they did something right and opened my eyes to what the government was doing..and such..

But their albums still rank in my musical taste.
2-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

American Idiot did something right?
Allow me to remind you that that song talks bad about a society being controlled by the media.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that song come out in MTV every week and previously every day?
D'you taste that. Tastes like hipocrisy.
I hate Green Day. Not in a "you like them, fuck you" style, but yeah.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-D
you are such a wierd...you just don't say Fuck You cause someone likes something you don't.
that's childish.

Green Day speaks their mind.
And then, started a trend for other bands to do the same.American Idiot was contraversial(sp?) and maybe did offend some..people..but they did something right and opened my eyes to what the government was doing..and such..

But their albums still rank in my musical taste.
Firstly, learn how to finish complete sentences. "You are such a weird..." what?

Secondly, I can (and most often do) say what I want to say when I want to say it. If you don't enjoy this charming aspect of my personality then... drumroll, please? Fuck you. -smiles almost sweetly- I know, I know.. that was predictable, but seeing as this is the internet I thought that I would aim for the lowest common denominator.

Finally, Greenday did not start the 'trend' of musicians speaking their mind. Have you never heard of the entire musical decade of the 1960's?

If you are going to try to start an arguement with me, please attempt some form of accuracy and insight. It makes it more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Allow me to remind you that that song talks bad about a society being controlled by the media.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that song come out in MTV every week and previously every day?
D'you taste that. Tastes like hipocrisy.
Excellent point, well made.

Dissent is so, like, hot right now.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
Ainadu

As a fellow newcomer, I humbly welcome you to this forum.

Quote:
I'll say I'm offended.

Greenday??!

Fuck you.
That wasn't a very nice thing to say. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion and musical taste, it is no reason to wish harm upon someone. As peaceful and civilized people, it is always polite to express viewpoints without directly insulting the person involved. However, I am sorry that you are so seriously offended by that band.
Ainadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
Delicate_Torture

One day I am going to meet someone online who is intelligent and has an understanding of humour.

And then the Seven Horns will sound, the Lamb will break the seal on the scroll and Wormwood will tumble from the heavens.

Alas, it will be the Apocalypse.

There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth for I will have spent my time here, explaining sarcasm, instead of speaking with that person.

I agree with Wilde... "Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow."
Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

So, in other words, you have called all of us either stupid, or shallow.
I feel so warm and cuddly inside.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #14
Delicate_Torture

Assumptions are boring. If you insist on being grumpy, please do so in a somewhat interesting way.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:38 AM   #15
Born Again

You tell 'em

I was skimming through this thread, and couldn't help but laugh. I've never seen an e-mosh pit before.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #16
DarkHeartedDemoness

I just wanted to note that I got the Office Space reference, and I think Linen seems cool--- Even cool people can have shyte musical tastes, like Green Day or John Denver.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #17
2-D

We all have different points..of views.

You are such a wierd..it was meant to be like that :|
I did finish it.

Okay, maybe American Idiot do the "right" thing..but it did do something, it made an effect on the world.Or on the US...

To be in an arguement, I don't have to anything that you want.
2-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #18
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
HOOBOY! (chuckle) Linen is going to get some strong coffee reading this thread on Monday. (snicker) But maybe she likes strong coffee. I am looking forward to reading what a psych major will say in response!

Welcome Linen.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #19
Splintered

Hey, what do you know.

Anyway.
Hi.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-D
We all have different points..of views.
Profound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-D
Okay, maybe American Idiot do the "right" thing..but it did do something, it made an effect on the world.Or on the US...
Really? What effect did it have on the world? Did it oust GWB from power? Nope. Did it stop the war in Iraq? Hmm.. no. Oh, then it made the world a peaceful and safe place to live? Guess again.

So, tell me. What did that song do? Aside from be played to death on the radio...
Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #21
käthryn

Hey Linen... welcome... way to get started, babe! Caused a gothic civil war in this thread over a Green Day reference. How spectacular!
käthryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #22
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by käthryn
Caused a gothic civil war in this thread over a Green Day reference.
-smirks-

There is nothing civil about what's going on here.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:56 AM   #23
Blindness is Black

Welcome.

Evanescence is nice....
Blindness is Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:34 AM   #24
BATANGEL

welcome Linen as the for the green day thing, i gotta say Delicate Torture........that was funny but unfortunately it seemed to snowball into something else........ahhh green day.....i remember getting inot the pit throughout the Kerplunkkk and Dookie periods....many a bruise and a break but they seemed to go from skate punk to stadium RAWK!!! mind you it took them about ten years!
BATANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:48 AM   #25
Delicate_Torture

Thankyou for actually seeing the humour in the posts I made. It is a pity that some others didn't. Oh well, it did make me LOLBBQCOPTER-muchly that people got their knickers in such a twist over a tongue in cheek comment.

Now that it seems that I've successfully annoyed people in this thread, I will go back to working on the other two threads that have people trying to argue with me.

Ahh.. I get such a deliciously wicked feeling when playing with people online. It's like fly-fishing a goldfish bowl.