Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:45 AM   #26
A Simple Poet

Awww. You guys are the tops, and are most gracious with your words because I sure as hell have not yet contributed anything of lasting value here yet (except for a poem critique or two) I hope you both keep visiting here in this thread. (I hope everyone does in fact) I will use it to sneak in just the teeniest bit of self indulgence and updates on mostly whatever the hell I am managing to write these days.

I don't know if anyone reads the Gloom Cookie "goth" comic. I recently started myself. And the character Vermilion (who is also my avvy) is also a poet. A bad poet who astonishingly enough reminds me of ... me!

The Horror, the Horror!!!

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #27
A Simple Poet

I've decided to stick with the white lettering now. Except in the poetry thread.

I felt it needed to be said.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #28
A Simple Poet

I also gave up on Gothic Space Opera. It doesn't seem to work, so I am reverting back to contemporary with a hint of "horror". Sorry to let you folks down. I may take it up again when the muse is less truant.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #29
Draconysius

It is rare that such a new addition makes such a positive impression within the forums in such short time. You're absolutely a wonderful addition to the boards, and I love your works. Please continue writing and posting, poet. Damn, now I need chapstick.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #30
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Simple Poet
I also gave up on Gothic Space Opera. It doesn't seem to work, so I am reverting back to contemporary with a hint of "horror". Sorry to let you folks down.
Boo! Hiss!

<throws tomato>
<throws tomahto>

Why didn't it seem to work, pray?
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #31
A Simple Poet

Thanks for the kind words, Draconysius. The cat calls are just as well deserved Sobeh...

As far as Gothic Space Opera, I'm not saying the genre will not work. What I am saying is that at present, it does not work well with my muse.

I have been having a harder time than I anticipated blending the sci fi in with the gloom and horror without discharging the overtly sci fi feel, if that makes sense. So I am going to write from a horror premise and then work in the sci fi. But my horror writing needs a bit more fine tuning at this point. That, and I have been more consumed with verse and haibun of late...what a chaotic life, that of a writer!

Old 05-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #32
Devlin

To a writer, the greatest enemy is that of the weapon betwixt his fingers for when it lies dormant thou's readers go blind.

And thus I call unto you, A Simple Poet, to take that mighty weapon in grasp and carve out the greatest piece to ever come to mind. For tis not mere text on paper but rather a means to end the tyranny.

I'll see you on the otherside my friend, in sight... and mind.
Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #33
Crom Crauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Simple Poet
Thanks for the kind words, Draconysius. The cat calls are just as well deserved Sobeh...

As far as Gothic Space Opera, I'm not saying the genre will not work. What I am saying is that at present, it does not work well with my muse.

I have been having a harder time than I anticipated blending the sci fi in with the gloom and horror without discharging the overtly sci fi feel, if that makes sense. So I am going to write from a horror premise and then work in the sci fi. But my horror writing needs a bit more fine tuning at this point. That, and I have been more consumed with verse and haibun of late...what a chaotic life, that of a writer!
have you ever considered picking up and reading some of the Warhammer 40k fluff novels published by the Black Library?

Iucunda macula est ex inimici sanguine

Quod sum eris
Crom Crauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #34
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin
To a writer, the greatest enemy is that of the weapon betwixt his fingers for when it lies dormant thou's readers go blind.

And thus I call unto you, A Simple Poet, to take that mighty weapon in grasp and carve out the greatest piece to ever come to mind. For tis not mere text on paper but rather a means to end the tyranny.

I'll see you on the otherside my friend, in sight... and mind.

Hi, we speak english here.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #35
Devlin

Ahhh, Old English or New?

Too epic a post I suppose but I still intend that you write a good prose (A Simple Poet).
Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #36
A Simple Poet

Actually, I do not mind Early Modern English. True Old English is more Danish than anything. And Devlin, I do not myself care exactly what language one choose to use so long as I can understand it ... and I have had no problem understanding you thus far. In fact, I rather admire your seemingly anachronistic deportment.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #37
A Simple Poet

I have decided instead of Gothic Space Opera to work on Gothic Haibun. I know, I know ... I'm trying to find a title less cheesy.

I recently posted an example of this in the poetry thread. But who says haiku or haibun has to be sunny and pretty all the time. I think Edward Gorey's images captured in Haiku or Haibun combined with various anachronistic twists would make for an interesting literary genre...

Old 05-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #38
spookypurple

There's always Middle English of course...

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #39
A Simple Poet

Yes, but then one would have to like Chaucer, and I must confess that I am not particularly fond, though I have tried mightily to like him.

Anyway, I'm sending out for publication this month in the Boston Review and the Rosebud. They are not works as deliciously macabre as I would like, but then for me prose poetry and Gothic Haibun are still in experimental infancy,

Also, I decided to become exclusively a poet, and focus all my energies there. For years, I dreamed of writing novels but I'm just not good at it ... plot structure, characterization, tired story lines. I cannot get excited about my stories so why should I expect the reader to do the same. But poetry is fresh and I love working with it (and the occassional short story). It is with verse I feel my potential lies.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:08 AM   #40
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
I can sort of see how it'd be, this Gothic Space Opera - some sort of Windjammer/Steampunk space world fueled by magic a la 18th century esotericism, with the appropriate plethora of demons and space beasties, plus a few standard shadowy folk akin to the classic vampires, perhaps a twist on that theme. No aliens though, the only sentience in the deep of the night ought to be human or ethereal... having either Greys or something like the Star Wars pantheon would make it a bit too lazergun-pew-pew, in my opinion.

Whoa rant, sorry - welcome aboard!
How about the Bab 5/Crusade style techno mages.
Scientists who have taken science so far it has become magic.
Galen from Crusade
Elric on Bab 5

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ and we know many things."
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #41
A Simple Poet

Eh...

That still seems very Spelljammer to me, at least in the campaigns I've played.

It is a nice idea, but I do not have the creative ability (at this point) to keep up with Gothic Space Opera...alas.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 PM   #42
Elder

Start simple, think of the universe it will be set in.
Will it be human like Star trek, or humanoid but alien (genetically related but seperated) like Battlestar Galactica.

Don't worry about the races until later. A good tip for Sci-Fi is, make it close enough to our reality to be understood, but makes the differences small but important. Have air breathing humanoid characters, but have science replaced by magic, chemistry by advanced alchemy, instead of orthadox Patriachal religions like Christendom and Islam, have Gaia worship and the mother earth. Even make the ships they travel in sentient and possibly partially bio organic, forming a living Magician's familiar. More than just transport but a living feeling aid and companion.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:21 AM   #43
A Simple Poet

It almost sounds as if you are better prepared to tackle such a genre. You have sound advice, some of which seems too Farscape to me, but I suppose mixing a little bit of gloom with a dash of macabre would fit the mold of Gothic Space Opera ... though Space Opera intriniscally lends itself by the very nature of the old pulp standards, to something very Star Trekkish - with a crew and long term quest.

I'm just not ready for that at this stage of my writing. I'm not quite excited about it, and I do not write ANYTHING unless I am stirred by the theme, otherwise it is lifeless tripe.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #44
Elder

I'm good with bare bones ideas. It takes a real creative mind to flesh it out.
In my head things make sense, I go from maybe two woods to a fully functioning "thing" in ten seconds. But when i try to explain to anyone, or write it down, it must come out wrong, because people either rarely get what I mean, or don't see it the same way and it is doomed to failure.

But feel free to take anything I've said and use it. tink of it as "Open Source" Just give me, and the founders and members of gothic.net a credit when it gets published. I'me sure other could and will help you out if you mention it in the Literature board.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #45
Legion

There are only 3 stories: boy meets girl, brave little tailor, and the man who learned better. Everything else is a variation on one, or more, of those themes.
Start with the story...add the atmosphere and what-not later. Dump the overt aliens; steal a vague disturbing "other" from Lovecraft.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #46
A Simple Poet

Greetings Friends!

I have decided to journey from this site ... especially with the mysterious vanishing of the poetry thread! I will not rule out a return, but the direction this place is taking is not conducive to harmony or a literary culture. They really got me too, when they banned Xnguela and EPS

Therefore, my friends, you can find me at http://forums.theonering.com

It is a site a bit more reserved than this, but we manage to get our views across. I am A Simple Poet there too, and host The Mad Poet's Tea Party (a thread found in the Bird & Baby Conversation board). I would welcome all of you to visit at least and if you are daring, particpate! We feature a poet a month as well as some of our own verse and a lot of conversation about shos, ships, and sealing wax.

I am leaving at the end of the week, hope to see some of you before then!

P.S. Elder, Legion ... thanks for responding. Your insights are keen and I shall do my best to remember them.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #47
Circle V

Very well. I'll miss you and your poetry, but it's your decision.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #48
A Simple Poet

I miss all the poetry. What in the bloody hell happened to the thread?

Will miss you too, Circle. I've already said I dig your nickname. It defines me, but I will always be The Other Dark Bohemian, out of respect to your originality.