Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
carakitty

Rock Band, anyone?

Do any of you like playing rock band? What is your instrument? What are your favorite songs?
carakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
ShadowxMakerZ

Well I borrowed rock band 2 a while back. Chop Suey was awesome and so was Pain Killer.
ShadowxMakerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
carakitty

I have those ones already. I'm fishing around for new stuff to download
Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
LetheanBlacklight

I've played the beatles rock band, and of course, I play bass.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
Anarasha

When you say "rock band" I suppose you are reffering to one of those weird wannabe-musician games?
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
carakitty

Yes, Mr. A. I play this on our PS3 every chance I get.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
vindicatedxjin

I really like rock band although I prefer to play guitar hero...and I always play guitar or drums. Beatles rock band was pretty fun. Also theres a new DJ hero which I thought was gonna be uber lame and retarded. But I played it at best buy the other day and its fucking SHWEET!

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
carakitty

What are the differences between RB + GH?
I do vox mainly (been singing in choirs pretty much non-stop since Jr. High) but also pick up the bass every now and then and if the planets align correct I'll have a go at drums.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Joker_in_the_Pack

Rockband and Guitar Hero are wastes of time. Instead of spending that much time getting decent at video game music, you could invest the time (and money, matter of fact) on learning a REAL instrument. That way you can MAKE music AND not look like a total douche bag.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
LetheanBlacklight

But what about the case of me? I know how to play an instrument, in fact I know how to play SEVERAL instruments and play them better than most. But I enjoy playing rock band every now and then when I have friends come over.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
Mir

We just play real instruments when my friends come over. It's so much more fun, and you can play anything you want as opposed to the same 15-20 songs on a video game.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Rockband and Guitar Hero are wastes of time. Instead of spending that much time getting decent at video game music, you could invest the time (and money, matter of fact) on learning a REAL instrument. That way you can MAKE music AND not look like a total douche bag.

I've been playing piano for 10 years and guitar for 8. That doesn't mean I can't have fun playing a video game.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
ShadowxMakerZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
I've been playing piano for 10 years and guitar for 8. That doesn't mean I can't have fun playing a video game.
Our sides collide XD,
Games like GuitarHero/Rockband are fun ways to hang out with friends who don't need to know to play an actual instrument to rock out with you on one of your favorite songs.

ANYWAYS! why listen to a song when you can rock out to it and get an exercise? My guess is that people who think games like gh/rb suck is that they can't play it as good as they play real guitar. Well it's a damn shame and I do play real guitar and the game.
ShadowxMakerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I have invested the time to learn how to use my voice. Over the years priorities have slightly shifted and I"m finding RB to be a nice way to somewhat maintain my ear for pitch and timing since I can't commit to an official choir. Someday I do intend to be part of a choir again but for now playing these types of games are really fun for me and have introduced me to songs I wouldn't have given a second thought to other wise which is a blessing in disguise because some of them have turned out to be great ones.

If YOU don't like the games, fine. There's no need to be insulting to those of us who DO like the games. Especially since you were assuming none of us made our own music.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
carakitty

It just dawned on me that this would probably have been better to post in the Games folder. Oh well too late now.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
If YOU don't like the games, fine. There's no need to be insulting to those of us who DO like the games. Especially since you were assuming none of us made our own music.
Have you met the average Guitar Hero player? They're usually out of shape, incredibly annoying, are essentially tone deaf and think Tenacious D is a talented band.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
Eleshar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetheanBlacklight View Post
But what about the case of me? I know how to play an instrument, in fact I know how to play SEVERAL instruments and play them better than most. But I enjoy playing rock band every now and then when I have friends come over.
there's exceptions to every rule...
Eleshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
Rockband's okay. I generally play drums and guitar, but I don't play that much anymore.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote