Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Mr.Doobie

Isn't it just so embarrasing...

... when you go on for more than a year, railing about how the world's going to end, fool hundreds of people into giving up everything for you, build a multi-million dollar organization off of donations, and than find out the world didn't come to an end after all?
Quote:
It's hard to feel bad for someone whose doomsday predictions caused so much anxiety, but 89-year-old Harold Camping's recent admission that he's "flabbergasted" the world didn't end last weekend sounds somewhat pitiful.
Most people I talked to thought the story were angry at Camping and his followers and thought everyone involved was just a screaming retard.

From the very beginning I've thought this was a very sad, sad story.

Quote:
"It has been a really tough weekend," Camping said Sunday, after emerging from his Alameda, California home for the first time to talk to a reporter from the San Francisco Chronicle. "I'm looking for answers ... But now I have nothing else to say," he said, adding that he would make a full statement today.
Don't worry, I'm sure you just forgot to carry the 1 or something. You'll be back in about 17 years or so with a new date.

Quote:
Camping's PR aide, Tom Evans, told the L.A. Times that the group is "disappointed" that 200 million true believers weren't lifted up to heaven on Saturday while everyone else suffered and eventually died as a series of earthquakes and famine destroyed the Earth.
Bolding mine. I really wish I could say the Harold Camping camp (lol) were the only Christians in the world that thought this way.

Quote:
But the false prediction might not be so easily effaced from the lives of Camping's followers. The L.A. Times writes that Keith Bauer, a 38-year-old tractor trailer driver, took a road trip with his family to see the Grand Canyon before the world ended.

"With maxed-out credit cards and a growing mountain of bills, he said, the rapture would have been a relief," the paper writes.

But Bauer is not angry at Camping for his false prediction. "Worst-case scenario for me, I got to see the country," he told the paper. "If I should be angry at anybody, it should be me."

Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent $140,000 of his life savings to advertise the rapture in New York, said he was dumbfounded when life went on as usual Saturday.

"I do not understand why ...," he told Reuters while awaiting the event in Times Square. "I do not understand why nothing has happened."

An NPR reporter talked to two Camping followers on Sunday. "One man, his voice quavering, said he was still holding out hope that they were one day off. Another believer asserted that their prayers worked: God delayed judgment so that more people could be saved, but the end is 'imminent,'" she reported.

Quote:
Evans, Camping's PR aide, told NPR he hopes Family Radio will reimburse followers who spent their savings in anticipation of the rapture, but that he can't guarantee it.
Translation: Harold Camping would really, really like to give all those poor people their lives back, but that throne of money he's made is sooooo comfy.

A lot of people are hoping that now that the doomsday prediction has been revealed as the fraud it always was, the people who joined Harold Camping are going to see him as the Snake-Oil Salesman that he is and leave him. Sadly, I suspect this won't be the case. Throughout history, whenever a bunch of people start following a doomsday prophet like Camping, they tend to stick around long after the proposed day of judgement comes and goes without event. Actually, several churches have been founded this way, and early Jehovah's Witnesses built a lot of their beliefs around predicting the day of the end.

They'll just tell themselves that they made a minor mistake, or the world was saved through their faith, anything to protect their belief that their lives are in some way cosmically significant, and they have a deep, powerful connection to an omnipotent deity.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
CptSternn

There is a Christian church in America call the '7th Day Adventists'. They have members across America. Most people think of them like every other sect out there - just another Methodist/Baptist/etc. type church group.

If you read up on their history, they actually were founded in the 1800s by a man who claimed he knew when Jesus was going to return. They followed him for years, just like yer man in this case. When the world didn't end he told his followers that Jesus had spared the world because of their devout faith. He claimed since they were true believers, their faith saved the rest of humanity.

His followers believed even more, and today the 7th Day Aventists are one of the biggest churches in America. I knew a few people who attended services at these churches, they had no idea about how the church was founded or knew anything about the fact their church originally started as a doomsday cult.

Yer man will come up with some new ploy, like those before him have done, and the mindless followers will again follow him and half a century from now he will be regarded as a hero, the 'church' he leads will be considered 'normal' and everyone will pretended none of this happened.

If you look at the history of the mormon church it is even more insane. The fact they are considered mainstream these days is nothing short of amazing, considering their wacky history and the fact they executed hundreds of women and children back in the 1800s in the name of their 'church'.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
His followers believed even more, and today the 7th Day Aventists are one of the biggest churches in America. I knew a few people who attended services at these churches, they had no idea about how the church was founded or knew anything about the fact their church originally started as a doomsday cult.
I laughed pretty hard at that, bro, Christianity started out as an apocalyptic cult too. The first Christians believed Jesus was coming back and the world would end in their life time.

A lot of churches started out that way, even Luther thought it was the end of days and Pope Leo X was the Antichrist. Its the Christian thing to do.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Despanan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Still Jack

I need to start a scam like this.
Also, Desp, your new avatar looks like an angry testicle.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
CptSternn

Here it is mentioned...

http://tinyurl.com/4ynt9d7
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote