Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #126
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela

at least we know I've the overwhelming personality in the relationship!
Yay! For women with overwhelming personalities! 8)

At least Sam can deal with mine. He even likes it. Although, somethimes he calls me "weird" like it was a bad thing. :P
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #127
Blood_red

i wear black because it looks good on me and because i don't like to follow the crowd, i like to wear what i want
Blood_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:50 AM   #128
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
But a lot of the crowd wears black. It's fairly 'in' at the moment.

Especially with pink.

Eeeeeeeevil pink.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #129
winged_dreams

Black is fairly common in the crowd since it's 'slimming'. I like pink too. *joins Xng and walks away forlornly too* Hell, I'm even wearing pink in my alvatar. ^_^

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #130
Jane13

I like-y pink, too!! But I feel like I look wierd if I wear a lot of it :/
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #131
Solumina

I like pink too. I don't really wear much of it, though my prom dress is coral which is close
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #132
WolfMoon

I like purple!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:22 PM   #133
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
I like pink too. I don't really wear much of it, though my prom dress is coral which is close
... so do I. Maybe this font is closer to my old one...
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #134
Panther

Well, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

I'm just not fond of pink. *shrug*

But whatever floats your boat, of course.
cottage?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #135
Blood_red

i like pink, dark pink not baby pink ewww. I like wearing dark purple and dark red too but i love black the most.
Blood_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:17 PM   #136
Corpus_Draconis

I wear black because I like black. Especially warm velvety black, like the kind you get if you close your eyes at night with your blanket over your head; the kind you can melt into and become one with, the kind that makes you can wrap yourself in and feel like nothing will ever trouble you again; the kind of black that swallows light into it like... well, a black hole. I think it's the kind of black that I associate Rob Zombie's voice with, 'specially in Blood, Milk and Sky. I like that song.

As for pink, it's ok if it's a PINK that screams "I"M PINK!!! LOOK AT ME BE PINK!!!", and not a delicate, pale pink. I'm not fond of any type of pink in large amounts.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #137
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus_Draconis

As for pink, it's ok if it's a PINK that screams "I"M PINK!!! LOOK AT ME BE PINK!!!", and not a delicate, pale pink. I'm not fond of any type of pink in large amounts.
That's how I feel. And I like your description of "black"
-Cinema Strange
Old 05-22-2005, 11:36 AM   #138
Corpus_Draconis

Thanx. I tend to get descriptive sometimes. Anyway, that's mainly a certain black that I'm talking about; the kind who's non-shadow's aren't just a very dark grey.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #139
Pathogen.

Re: Goths Wear Black Because:

Won't speak for everyone else here, but I'll tell y'all the 4 specific reasons why I wear black: 1)Historical hero-worship: The Black Panthers wore black. 2)Subcultural Affiliation: I'm a Gothic. Like everyone else on this messageboard. 3)Political Affiliation: I'm an Anarchist. And finally, 4)Personal Fashion-Sense: I look damn good in that colour!
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #140
Soul_Immortal

Hm.

I wear it because I like it...and I am not a fan of white :P .

*Soul*
Old 06-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #141
oje

i wear black because it's easy to wash, you don't need any special stuff with it, toss your undies, socks and pant.. right in, no seperateing woot!!

i dunno why i wear black, i don't wear white because it's hot here and i don't want sweat stains on my cloths. i just think the dark colors look good too.
oje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #142
Feuer_engel

First of all, it makes the morning time muuuuch easier. Mixing and matching isn't much of a problem. Hehe, the laundry is already organized, It makes you look thinner and helps you stick out more than you would in jeans and a t-shirt. I loves me some black. 8)
Feuer_engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #143
sexygoth_bitch

Poll

While it is true that black is the predominant colour, it is not true that it's the only colour. Reds, mauves and purples are also popular shades among the gothic population, and the Goths that are more fond of Electronic Music usually tend to wear flashy neon-coloured outfits too. And it is not uncommon to see Goths dressed completely in white at some events.

But the reason why most tend to favour the darker shades of black is simply as a contrast and visual, silent opposition to the "hip & trendy" fashion so many beauty magazines force on the "normal" population.

:shock:
sexygoth_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #144
winged_dreams

People wear what they like and what feels comfortable to them. It's as simple as that. ^^

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #145
WolfMoon

Re: Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygoth_bitch
While it is true that black is the predominant colour, it is not true that it's the only colour. Reds, mauves and purples are also popular shades among the gothic population, and the Goths that are more fond of Electronic Music usually tend to wear flashy neon-coloured outfits too. And it is not uncommon to see Goths dressed completely in white at some events.

But the reason why most tend to favour the darker shades of black is simply as a contrast and visual, silent opposition to the "hip & trendy" fashion so many beauty magazines force on the "normal" population.

:shock:

I would so be pointing and snickering behind my black-gloved hand at anyone deigning to wear white! It's simply not goth, seriously, guys. No one pulls off white and gets away with it people! Not even Eldritch!

And don't get me started on those idiots that wear pastel and call it goth. I see someone pulling that shit on my birthday and I'm slapping the taste out their mouths! There's a marked difference between ****** and Gothic ******, one should never be confused with the other!

While color is frequently incorporated in the gothic wardrobe, it is never pastels. I'm really not a fan of the Cyber look so popular lately, either. Ugh! I've seen a total of two people that can pull off the look and not look like complete asses.

I've more of a bohemian/etheral/old schoole/tribal/aristocrat-inspired closet, myself.

*Hops daintily off soapbox*
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #146
Morbideus

I picked "Other" because I wear pretty much all black, all the time, but it almost wasn't on purpose. I'd go to buy a shirt, which one do I like? I like the black one. Pick out a pair of pants, pair of shoes... I'll take the black ones.... next thing I knew, all of my clothes were black. It was almost an accident. But then, my entire wardrobe (which is what I call that pile of clothes in the corner) all goes together, I don't have to give any thought to my "outfit." If it smells O.K., I'm good to go.
Morbideus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #147
Panther

I have a similar reason to Morbideus. I wear mostly red and black, mainly because the only clothes made in a style that doesn't make me lookpregnant or in posession of an ass that could knock lamps off a table across the room come in either red or black.

I'll throw in a little white for contrast/light reflection in the summer (all black is a mistake I've made too many times in the heat), and I'll throw in grey for texture, or wear jeans. But mostly I wear red and black because it's slimming without beign monochrome, and the clothes that are cut in a way that compliments me come in those colors.

And, well, I like those colors.
cottage?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #148
Corpus_Draconis

An other reason I wear black/dark colours is because I look good in them, rather than in pale colours. I also feel quite uncomfortable in white. I would only wear white to a funeral. Seems... not right... to wear my nearly-every-day colour to something like that...
But I do have a pair of capri pants that are rather tight (almost too small If I gained any weight, they wouldn't fit anymore), but they're very boldly black-and-white striped.
I generally go for black with a few bits of colour (like a tank-top and a matching hair ribbon, or black pants and a black tank top with an intense/dark coloured shirt). I'll even go for a dusty/dried rose colour. I have a silver shirt as well that I really like. It's fun.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:22 PM   #149
Blushing Heliophobe

I guess we we're supposed to introduse ourselves when we're newbies?!?
Hi, I'm new...

I do not wear only black but I wear mostly black. I wore black long before I began to identify myself with the subculture of *goth*. I don't wear it to be noticed, I wear it to be anonymous (also, considering I am a woman mechanic for a living, being noticed is something that I have come to loathe).
Black is mysterious, it is sensual. Black brings to mind candlelit rooms, dark hallways, the smell of leather and the sheen of velvet. Instead of walking out the door in a bright prep brand name that screams for recognition, black worn in the correct style -to me- says,
"I am discreet, I am anonymous. I do not seek your approval nor beg for your scorn. I neither value nor disvalue you. I have my own way, my own walk, my own style, my own music, and my own mind. Notice me if you choose, or leave me alone. It's all up to you. I, personally, could care less. Now let me read my book, and go on about your own life."
Black is also a power color. It is the color of a person who is comfortable not having to be a schrieking banshee of modern corporate mind numbing fashion suicide. It is the color of a person who has enough self esteem to feel comfortable in their own skin for their own merits, even to the point of being unnoticed at one extreme and ridiculed at the other. I feel that it is a shade of inner satisfaction that you are who you are, and that is perfect for you, even if not to anyone else. I imagine it is the color of powersuits and seduction for even the 'norms' for a reason...
I love the shadows, I love to be left alone to my own world, in which I control the depth and the highlights of music, emotion, literature, love, etc...

so I guess that's the reason(s) why I wear black.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #150
Spazik

I think it looks good on boys and girls, but maybe that's just my personal preference. Either way, on myself, I like it.
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote