Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
4mytribe

Are people getting smarter or am I dumb :(

Man I never met 19 year olds like XGN or even 15 year olds like I see on this board when I was a teen. Jesus how can there be so many smart young people on this board. On one hand I think OK maybe its just they have the internet now and can talk and discuss so much that it opens their minds more and so its not that their so smart its just that they have a medium that they can fully understand that is helping them develop their minds faster. On the other hand maybe I'm just an idiot or was surrounded by idiots.

I dunno I refuse to think that the people I grew up with and love are idiots so I'll settle with people are developing their communications skills faster or I'm an idiot.

I think I know which of the two most people think I am and guess what? In real life your not that far behind what alot of people think of me but its cool.
4mytribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
4mytribe

Uhhh man how to respond to that. Yeah I guess but still no one could express themselves like people here. I mean you guys are better than freakin older people I hang with on other boards. Yeah I know what your saying this board is very unusual. There is an extreme humor and edge here and alot of artists that really dont give $@%^ about opinions. I've seen people just throw down on anyone. So I guess that helps but still kindve amazing to think that the minds that are throwing down are only 19 sheeez.

Whats it going to be like 20 years from now? By the way Xng have you ever been tested for IQ? You must be pretty up there cuz humor to me is a big sign of IQ. Of course not everyone agrees with testing and I'm probably gonna get pounded now.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Yes, I've been tested, but my parents won't tell me the results and I support their decision. I don't think it's important for me to know the number. I do know my parents were shocked when my IQ tested higher than theirs, though.

Yeah I kindve figured. Had to laugh out loud on that one. Kindve reminds me of my nice. She's by far the best thing my family has ever produced. Its amazing to talk to her and kindve unatural at the same time because she is so different than the rest of us. Clearly she is way gifted and smarter than her elders. hahahah

I dont care just glad one of us was blessed. My IQ testing was pretty high but I'm with you on the number thing its not all that important. I think that you can tell the real dummies from the smarties and I'll take my niece over alot of people that think their smart.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Yes, I've been tested, but my parents won't tell me the results and I support their decision. I don't think it's important for me to know the number.
Same here, we have so much in common. All I know is that I'm gifted enough that one of my psychologists wanted to use me for a case study because at that time it was believed that you couldn't have a learning disorder and have a high IQ but I have multiple learning disorders (most notably ADD) as well as a high IQ (I had to take about 5 IQ tests before my first psychologist believed I was actually that intelligent)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
4mytribe

I have ADD too have you tried creative things like music or something. Its a good combo actually to have a decent IQ (in my case probably very high in your case) and have ADD. At least to me because your mind is constantly wandering and your smart so you come with stuff.

Just my 2 cents the rest you have to pay for.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Solumina

I paint, write poetry and have even been known to pen a story from time to time
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mytribe
Man I never met 19 year olds like XGN or even 15 year olds like I see on this board when I was a teen. Jesus how can there be so many smart young people on this board. On one hand I think OK maybe its just they have the internet now and can talk and discuss so much that it opens their minds more and so its not that their so smart its just that they have a medium that they can fully understand that is helping them develop their minds faster. On the other hand maybe I'm just an idiot or was surrounded by idiots.

I dunno I refuse to think that the people I grew up with and love are idiots so I'll settle with people are developing their communications skills faster or I'm an idiot.

I think I know which of the two most people think I am and guess what? In real life your not that far behind what alot of people think of me but its cool.

Actually, I'd beg to differ. I've been/seen a lot of different forums on the internet and most of the people using them are painfully ignorant. One of the reasons I joined this forum is because the people are intelligent and can form proper sentences, a rarity elsewhere. In fact, to be quite honest I was convinced that people in our society are getting more and more unintelligent, it's very rare for me to meet people who can hold an intelligent conversation, spell properly, and not talk about absolute rubbish. It's refreshing.

Then again, I'm young, younger than probably most of the people here, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about. Just a thought...
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Then again, I'm young, younger than probably most of the people here, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about. Just a thought...
How old are you, Virulent?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Virulent Dryad

I am turning 15 in about a month.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
tekajo

i've never taken a real IQ test, just those free ones you find all over the internet. All of them, though, point at the same thing...near genius. Not quite, just appears to be one to ordinary folks. Hmm.

It amazes me that the level of intelligence of some of the members of this board amazed you. As Xng said in the beginning of this thread, as well as countless other times which amounts to at least ten times a day in various other threads, this use to be literary webzine. So just about everyone that joined prior to last summber, did so because of their love of the written word. The macabre written word, but all the same.

Intelligence.

As for your intitial question: i personally don't think you are as smart as you'd like to think.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
edible_eye

i took an internet iq test once. when i hit the submit button, a demon face abruptly popped onto the screen accompanied by an ear-piercing screech.

scared the fuck out of me.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
6BladesDeep

Location: My own private vyrus of lollipops & leave it all behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
I am turning 15 in about a month.
Wow. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the youngest, too. Infact, I didn't expect to see anyone younger than me this soon after joining. I turn 16 in June.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
i took an internet iq test once. when i hit the submit button, a demon face abruptly popped onto the screen accompanied by an ear-piercing screech.

Haha, you crack me up ^^

Actually, most of my friends are pretty smart. I like being around them because we all have different opinions, we all all support them, and we all learn something that way.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Circle V

This forum, as was said, is an exception. For every forum like this one, there are twenty that don't even come close to the level of intelligence you can find here. You don't often find forums with the same range in age of members, either.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #15
A Simple Poet

I agree with Circle. There aren't many out there and the quality forums are difficult to find.

I've recently de-emphasized my activity on a forum because I only communicate regularly with one or two persons who share my interests and passion for literature. I had to ask what the word "Chill'axin" meant at one point, and then I felt rather ridiculous that I could not put the logic together. But at the same time, words like that bug me. People who shrug off history and literature also bug me. it is nice to see in this -uh- shall we say currently tempestuous forum, there are many people who share my views and visions which is why the current schism has me a bit forlorn.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #16
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo

As for your intitial question: i personally don't think you are as smart as you'd like to think.
I hear you. I had a conversation with a real genious whose IQ was 160. We play games online, tell jokes make fun of people while playing and basically have a good time. Never knew he was a genious till he came over one night and we just started talking. It was crazy because we ended up talking till the sun came up and we werent even partying. I talked with him on a level I never have/could with anyone else about all kinds of weird and creative things. Like we would speculate on what a world post "self replicating molecular factory" would be like, or alternative methods for achieving orbit and other deep topics. It was really facinating, humbling and illumitating all at the same time.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #17
4mytribe

Quote:

Are you serious? Thats crazy but would be a cool joke.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #18
edible_eye

nah. i just felt like dropping a verbal-deuce into the conversation.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #19
4mytribe

Quote:
nah. i just felt like dropping a verbal-deuce into the conversation.

Made me laugh out loud. I think it will be cool as all hell. Make everyone waste like 15minutes and then BOOM hahaha love it.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #20
6BladesDeep

Location: My own private vyrus of lollipops & leave it all behind.
That actually has happened to me before..it wasn't an IQ test though. Stupis thing had me pushing a button repeatedly for 10 minutes. Ofcourse, my fault for being dumb enough to keep pushing it though.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #21
edible_eye

there ARE sites / programs out there that do just such a thing, as i'm sure you're all aware. i just borrowed the idea to contribute to the thread, like i said.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #22
mutsumiasakura

Location: In the darkest corner of the smallest, most boring town in the universe.
I love this place. It is amazing to find anywhere on the internet where people do not tAlK lIkE tHiS (God, I shudder just doing that), and can actually spell and carry on a decent conversation.
I like it.

"Poetry is the deification of reality." -Edith Sitwell

"Whoso eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life . . . "
mutsumiasakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

Have you heard a phrase that says that if you gathered around a thousand apes and gave them a thousand typewriters, they would write a novel worth of Shakespeare?
I bet if all the people in Gnet (excluding trolls and nOObs) gathered around and typed a novel, we would write a book that explained the meaning of existence

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #24
mutsumiasakura

Location: In the darkest corner of the smallest, most boring town in the universe.
Yes, but when I heard it, it was infinite apes with infinite typewriters.

^^ We should give it a go.

"Poetry is the deification of reality." -Edith Sitwell

"Whoso eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life . . . "
mutsumiasakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #25
WizardElement5

I posted a fairly similar idea in the, "gnet, upgrades you would like" thread a few days back.
WizardElement5 is offline   Reply With Quote