Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Harvard Study: Eat Less, Exercise More Not Effective For Weight Loss

Harvard Study: Eat Less, Exercise More Not Effective For Weight Loss

Moderation may not be the best approach to weight loss

Jul 22, 2011 5:00 AM

SOURCE

Quote:

A new study by nutritionists and public health experts at Harvard University showed that the conventional wisdom that the key to weight loss is just to eat less and exercise more actually isn't very effective when it comes to weight loss. For many people, they say, what you eat matters just as much.

The moral of the story is that it's not enough to count calories; you have to look at the kinds of calories you're counting because your body processes them differently based on their source. The Harvard study followed 120,877 men and women of all shapes and sizes for 12 to 20 years. Every two years, they completed a survey about their diet and lifestyle, along with their weight and current health.

The results were startling: even though most of us have been taught to believe that just eating less, avoiding fatty foods, and taking everything in moderation, it's just not enough to stay healthy. Instead, they propose, Americans should temper their diet to minimize the foods that contribute the most to weight gain, like French fries, potato chips, and sugar-sweetened drinks. They also noted that the "good foods" were the ones most people already associate as good for you: fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

The study also reinforced how important it is to sleep and moderate alcohol intake. The authors also made a point to remind us that exercise is just as important as diet and sleep. Ultimately, they say, there's no magic bullet to weight loss: you have to pay attention to what you eat, how much you eat, and how much exercise you get.

I've long thought paying attention to what you eat is far more important than just eating less.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Solumina

When people say that you need to eat less in order to drop some pounds nobody is talking about passing up on an apple or not snacking on those carrots, you're talking about cutting out the junk, the only time when you would want to cut down on the healthy foods is when your problem is only portion control and not what you eat. Thanks Harvard for letting us all know what we already knew.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
AshleyO

Yeah, I don't get what they're trying to prove here.

In fact, I would argue that you could potentially eat a little more a day, eating the healthiest of foods and STILL lose weight quicker than someone who creates a severe calorie deficit but still chows down on doritoes.

I think we've all pretty much figured out that the best approach to weight loss is 3 meals a day with a decent snack in between those meals to keep the metabolism going.

In all honesty, when you look at the calorie content of a lot of common junk foods, they're really not that high in calorie content. I'd bet that an 8 oz lean steak and a side of broccoli would have way more calories than a couple of twinkies.

Harvard. Try harder.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Judas

Thank you, Harvard, for tell us all things that everyone's already known for years.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Saya

I don't think everyone's known it. I've heard it many times, even on Gnet, that all you need to do is count your calories and exercise.

There's also the idea that "once in a while won't hurt me", "moderation is key", but people have different ideas of what is "once in a while."
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Fruitbat

Weight loss is such a difficult term to define. Because you jump on the scales and you might weigh less, but it's because you are dehydrated, or you are on a stupid weightloss diet that is burning muscle and not fat.

Fit and healthy is much better than losing weight. And yeah eating huge serves of fries and drinking gallons of soda a day will make you fat, because they aren't the right fuel for your body, so you have the get up and go to exercise...

Maybe people will believe this study because it comes from Harvard - even though everyone knows moderation is the key, and that's maybe one treat meal a week and that includes not eating the whole friggin' cow.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Ben Lahnger

There have been people on this very forum ... *cough* ... that have advocated that the ONLY effective way to lose weight is to literally eat LESS (consuming less calories) and exercise more. And it wasn't about putting down the Doritos. I've seen the arguments here. So, no, it's not common sense or common knowledge.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Solumina

If you cut out calories and work out more then you will drop some weight, you just wont be as healthy as you would if you cut out junk food.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
There have been people on this very forum ... *cough* ... that have advocated that the ONLY effective way to lose weight is to literally eat LESS (consuming less calories) and exercise more. And it wasn't about putting down the Doritos. I've seen the arguments here. So, no, it's not common sense or common knowledge.
Well the weight loss industry is a billion dollar one. Hey if you want to lose weight the unhealthy way, sure stop eating and start exercising more but as soon as you start eating again, your body will come out of starvation mode and grab hold of the calories.

And sure at the end of the day it's all about the mats of energy consumption, so the less you eat and the more you burn the more weight you will lose, but if you don't do it right, your body will burn muscle mass instead of fat.

Personally, I can't function if I lived of a diet of junk food. I'd just curl up into a ball and have no energy for anything, even defending myself from the horders of toddlers who somehow know when I'm on the floor and defenseless and jump on me.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
If you cut out calories and work out more then you will drop some weight, you just wont be as healthy as you would if you cut out junk food.
Yeah but the study isn't about whats healthiest, its whats most effective for weight loss, and its saying that merely cutting calories and exercising isn't enough, what kind of calories you're getting matters a lot and will affect your metabolism and how much you gain or lose, among with other factors like smoking and sleeping, the NYT has a more in depth article about all the things they looked at, it was pretty in depth and over a long period of time.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
CptSternn

It reminds me of the time I rang the company that makes ' cant believe its not butter' in America.

Have ye ever seen the spray version of the stuff? Less than 1 calorie per serving!

The problem is liquefied butter, or even squeeze-style butter is made by hydrogenating the butter. They actually remove an atom from the chemical compound to make it squishy (there is a Jeopardy quality bit of trivia for ye today).

When this is done it makes the butter very unhealthy, and thats comparing it to normal full fat butter. It becomes a compound the body can't deal with well and it mostly stays in your system as fat.

So I had a running argument with my flat mates in college about this. I knew this because in one of my chemistry classes our teacher went into full detail about the process and we actually emulated it in the lab for class. My flatmates said 'less than one calorie! It cant be bad!'

So we rang them. Turns out it's less than one calorie if you use the recommend serving size, one squirt. For those who don't know one squirt is so small you can't even tell if its on there. It would be like giving someone one square of toilet paper and telling them thats a one use size and all you will need per go.

When we asked about the hydrogenation and how it compares to normal butter yer man said he was not qualified to answer that and would have someone get back to me. They of course never did.

My point being is many products, even ones labeled as healthy, organic, or low-fat are the exact opposite and many people have no clue. The only way to be safe is to eat fresh foods, nothing processed, tinned, canned, or boxed.

You can count all the calories you want and work out all the time, but if your stuffing yer face with pre-processed crap, it is full of stuff you had no idea about that can have even more adverse effects for you than the stuff you would assume to be worse.

This study seems to exemplify this very concept sure.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Raptor

People thinking that they know something doesn't make studies into that area pointless.

It does seem a little strange which scientific reports make it into the news sometimes; someone must have thought this would be new or interesting to a lot of people.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote