Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #576
merivelles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
I've never been inside of a Hot Topic, but oddly enough, I can tell when someone is wearing something that came from one. I might go into one someday and see if I like anything, but just like anywhere else I'd try to find something that I like but haven't seen on a million other people.
Of course. Originallity is something that's hard to come across nowadays. I say whoever is original get's tons of brownie points. Originality is in my blood, fear my face...RAWR! -hisses then laughs-
merivelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 PM   #577
AshNicoli

Originality is a lie. Being gothic in itself is a conformity. From the wearers of corsets to the boot stomping, black eyeliner wearing, pasty albino children running around in schools. Much like punk and skateboarders, the gothic style is a conformity in itself. The real original man/woman, if there is ever one, is the kid wearing nothing by payless shoes and walmart undies. The one forced to be normal, the one that lives his soul in his mind and is free from the bounds of social style.

Poor us I say for that kid truely has everything.
AshNicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #578
merivelles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNicoli
Originality is a lie. Being gothic in itself is a conformity. From the wearers of corsets to the boot stomping, black eyeliner wearing, pasty albino children running around in schools. Much like punk and skateboarders, the gothic style is a conformity in itself. The real original man/woman, if there is ever one, is the kid wearing nothing by payless shoes and walmart undies. The one forced to be normal, the one that lives his soul in his mind and is free from the bounds of social style.

Really now? If that's so original then why the hell is it so mainstream? I've worn payless shoes and walmart undies, everyone has. I do agree that originality is "conformity" (if that's how you like to put it) but hell, at least you have to give the people some sort of credit. And no one in this world is forced to do anything. You do it because you feel that's what you must do, so thus, forced does not work. Get off the high horse and stop trying to be so angsty.
merivelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #579
horrorgirl

I read an article about how Hot Topic is in some really bad financial trouble. They made over $4,000,000 last fiscal year and this year they only cleared $800,000. They are opening too many stores. From what I read they are probably going to have be bought out soon and many of the stores will close as a result.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #580
Sobeh

Quote:
The real original man/woman ... [is] the one that lives his soul in his mind...
That much is true. Notice how fashion has abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do with that definition of originality.

You assume that someone living originally has to buck the mainstream, but by laying those kinds of qualifiers on it, you are taking this originality idea and giving it boundaries. The definition I quoted has to do with living according to essence, and to say that such an essence must, ipso facto, be non-mainstream is false.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #581
maggot

What does Ipso Facto mean? I've read it before...
Old 05-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #582
NachtSorcier

Quote:

The essence of clothing is that it covers our bodies because we're ashamed of them and they provide insulation against the elements. Because most people today would not be caught dead naked in public in most cases and it is against the law to be nude in public in most countries, what choice do we have but to decide what clothing we like best and wear it?

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #583
xXbuggieXx

hot topic is getting way to popular. *is guilty of wearing clothes from there* but still. i will buy something, then wait a few weeks or months beforing wearing it out of my tiny town, then its okay. no one has it anymore. well at least the losers down. i dont agree with the "girls wearing oversized guy pants" that looks horrid. anyone with any fasion sense would know that. oh well.... *likes to ramble*
xXbuggieXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #584
NachtSorcier

buggie, if you don't want to get flammed, go to the Introductions forum and introduce yourself.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #585
Somber Illusions

Quote:
I thought it was pretty funny, actually.
Funny as in what bjork_freak said? Or What I said?
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:21 AM   #586
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
The essence of clothing is that it covers our bodies because we're ashamed of them and they provide insulation against the elements. Because most people today would not be caught dead naked in public in most cases and it is against the law to be nude in public in most countries, what choice do we have but to decide what clothing we like best and wear it?
I really believe we have evolved from that, or at least, many have and the others should.
Clothing has stopped being just to cover ourselves.
It has become an aesthetic haven.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #587
NachtSorcier

The only reason I feel that we're ashamed of our bodies, or rather, we're meant to feel ashamed, is that it is still law in most, forgive me, "civilized" countries, to not be nude in public. I'm certainly not ashamed of my body nor do I feel that anyone else should be, but it's my feeling that we're meant to by the powers that be.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #588
Godslayer Jillian

I wouldn't mind walking around naked if I was a little stronger on the limbs

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #589
NachtSorcier

Well, we've all got something we'd like to change. If I were rich and had fewer morals, I'd probably have had my thighs, gut, and breasts sucked out by now.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #590
Sanctus Dei

Let's analyze this bullshit statement and see why I'm not about to apologize for my reaction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber Illusions
I've never had a problem with Hot Topic, if I like an item and I have the money, than so be it.

I have a few issues with this conformity like thing that's been harboring Hot Topic for the past two years:

I can't stop gawking at the same click that stands in front of the store's window every time I'm in the mall. They b'i't'c'h about how expensive it is and how its a "posers" territory, yet they cry to their parents about how they need $50. When they get the money, where to you think they'll be? Hypocrites.
>Stopping here would have been a good move... But you just had to dive deeper and make it personal.

Quote:
The other group of the self proclaimed "Hot Topic Haters" are usually the ones who follow the crowd and so forth. If hating Hot Topic is "in" than let the rivalries begin. This specific crowd of "Hot Topic Haters" I can't bare to endure. They are self-proclaimed non-conformist who have no purpose in life but to contribute to these fake a's's fads.
>Oh wait, did you just bundle the folks who have a general hate for the store into two groups?? I think you did... well I've never bothered my parents or $50, nor have I loitered in front of the window gawking and complaining... So this automatically places me into the other group??

Hey children!! Apparently Sancty's a lame ass crowd leech!! Somber says so... thus based her senseless need to label, judge and group....I apparently have no purpose in life but to contribute to fake ass fads and she can't bare to endure my self-proclaimed - non-conformist way o' life, but I have no reason to find it insulting, right?

Right?

Quote:
At the moment, a true non-conformist would shop at Hot Topic.
Oh snap, bitch... did you just self-proclaim your non-conformist status? I think so.

Quote:
Anyways, back to the point. Hot Topic is just a store, people have to make money some how, and it so happens that they major in alternative attire. So all you whiny a's's kiddies who follow this god-forsaken scene, get a clue/life. Do your OWN thing and don't run away from yourself, if you are Goth, than that is a crime

>Yeah, fuckin’ thanks mom... that advice would have been damn near impossible to stumble on without your condescending bullshit.

Quote:
If you do not have the money, oh fucking well. Do I deserve such an insult because I can afford to shop there?
>You suggesting I can't?? How fucking presumptuous of you... I never said I couldn't afford shit, in fact chances are my income would make most people here cry... but I work fucking ridiculous for my cash so I choose to make better financial choices, I base my purchases off issues like possible wear and tear.. They have shit clothing as wearablity goes, why not spend my hard earned money on better product?? Or does this confuse you still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somber Illusions
Also, how does your rank in a damn forum have anything to do with your rights on what you choose to express your opinion? Sounds discriminating to me.
>Christ all mighty, what the fuck?? I don't give a donkey's hairy ball sack what your opinion is, or if you choose to state it, but the second you generalize thus possibly undermining people here you barely know... then I have a god given right and a duty to strike a respective match and ash out your shit full fucking board…
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #591
maggot

*Attempts to lick Sanctus*
Old 05-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #592
Nemesion

:applauds:
Nemesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #593
An Eccentric Cellist

Don't what's going on but look what I found on deviantART:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/982718/
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #594
Godslayer Jillian

People, it's easy.
Neither the ones that like Hot Topic nor the ones that hate it are right.
The universe is not dualistic. Besides a "yes" and a "no", it came with an interesting other number of choices such as "maybe" and "mu" (for more reference about the meaning of "mu" contact your local Zen master)
Hot Topic is NOT gothic! That's quite right. It rhymes for a reason.
But that doesn't mean real goths aren't allowed to shop there.
I get most of my clothes from the Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren section in department stores. But Foley's and Dillard's aren't goth either.
If I weren't allowed to buy at Hot Topic because it's not really gothic, I wouldn't be allowed to buy at Foley's for instance.
You followin' me so far?
As for me, I don't hate the store itself. I just hate the people that buy entirely out of Hot Topic and have the indecency of thinking THAT makes them gothic.
The only reason I don't buy there is because of my own superficial reason of not wanting to be confused as one of those kids. But, why wonder around the whole freakin' city to buy a studded belt instead of going to your local Hot Topic?
I just like to avoid Hot Topic, but I still have to go sometimes. An example of this is that a friend of mine saw the Voltaire's books I have wanted to buy in Hot Topic. Why buy them online and wait for one or two weeks when I can just go buy it right now?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #595
Solumina

You really should be the voice of reason more often; it makes me want to pounce on and then huggle you...even more than I usually do
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #596
maggot

Heheh, I wore some of those Illig shorts today.

I feel dumb for it
But they're so comfy and breezy!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #597
Sanctus Dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
People, it's easy...(look a few posts above if you want the whole statement)..... buy it right now?

Yeah that's great Jillian, but had no impact on the arguement. The point of the issue had to do with her generalization and judgement not with who is allowed to shop where for any reason. She pushed everyone one who disapproves of HT into her two ridiculous groups when as you've stated, there are plenty of other reasons people don't shop there. For me, it's price and quality, I hate any specialty store which over prices their shit especially when the quality of the product is lacking.... for you it seems you chose to wear more normal clothing..

I have no issues with anyone who does choose to shop there, I just don't want to be TOLD I do.

You made a vaild statement, but in a way it's misplaced and not quite "the voice of reason".

And Magz, you can lick me anytime baby.. *rawr*
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #598
Cicero

Well said, Jillian.

I look forward to witnessing this phenomenon of "Hot Topic Gawths" on my visit to America. It'll be quite the uh... learning experience, I guess.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #599
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, I wasn't quite replying to Somber Illusions so much as making a statement for future arguments about hating Hot Topic or not.
But, on the subject Somber Illusions has placed, I just have to say that:
So, you have just placed everyone that DOESN'T shop at Hot Topic as "poseurs"? Where's the sense in that?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #600
Godslayer Jillian

And Cicero, if you come to America, come and visit me to El Paso, Texas.
You know you want to

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: