Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #51
Jarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispertwist
That puts you squarely on any supposed list of wished-for-victims.
...so says the person who does not know me. I say a lot of things, but people only like to see the bad things and base my every character on that.
Jarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #52
whispertwist

OH! the audacity of one person on the internet basing an opinion of someone else on what that person posts. *shock horror*

That post was an insensitive, stupid piece of drivel and you know it. Defending it by attacking me is ... pathetic.

And my post was directed at your posts in this thread, not at your general character.

*counts two unfounded generalizations about me in your last sentence*
whispertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #53
Jarl

Quote:
OH! the audacity of one person on the internet basing an opinion of someone else on what that person posts. *shock horror*

That post was an insensitive, stupid piece of drivel and you know it. Defending it by attacking me is ... pathetic.

And my post was directed at your posts in this thread, not at your general character.

*counts two unfounded generalizations about me in your last sentence*
Attacking you? I was referring to people in general, and I know what I said is insensitive, I do not need to justify me saying that, I said it because that was what was on my mind, and the purpose of a thread is for people to post that thought.

And you may have been referring to my posts on this thread, however the implication that I would be on the supposed wish to die list, would actually make that a general attack on me as a whole. because by implying that, you imply that I am stupid and dispassionate, I fail to see how that could possibly be something restricted to this thread.

I do think that what I said, was insensitive, and stupid, but I said it and that's that, perhaps I did not think it through, but it was a thought I had so I won't apologize. I do not wish death upon anyone, but I hope it was.... less worthy people because well I'd hate to see poets and writers and the like dying off in pointless voilence.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #54
whispertwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl
...so says the person who does not know me. I say a lot of things, but people only like to see the bad things and base my every character on that.
You quote me and say "so says the person" ... and i am supposed to think you are not referring to me.

Balderdash.

My use of the word 'supposed' before the word 'list' should have been a big red flag that I do not have any such list.

And yes. My use of the phrase 'that post' indicates my post refers specifically to ...... (surprise!) that post.

Judging the relative worth of victims lives based on stereotypes of any kind is vile.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #55
Jarl

Quote:
You quote me and say "so says the person" ... and i am supposed to think you are not referring to me.

Balderdash.

My use of the word 'supposed' before the word 'list' should have been a big red flag that I do not have any such list.

And yes. My use of the phrase 'that post' indicates my post refers specifically to ...... (surprise!) that post.

Judging the relative worth of victims lives based on stereotypes of any kind is vile.
That Part was at you yes, and I didn't imply you had such a list, but if there were a list. And yes I know you referring to that post. Vile? Maybe, depends on who you ask.

Indeed [i]you[i] find it vile, a long with most other people, but that's just your opinion too isn't it, so it's just as foolish to base a persons opinion's worth based on your disposition to it.

You must be having fun, you know, having something to be righteous about? Would you like me to say some other vile things to make you feel even more righteous in your fire filled words and tone? heh.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #56
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl
I do not need to justify me saying that,
And yet you keep justifying it.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #57
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
This is very, very sad. I only wish the police would've taken quicker action to find the gunman (and warn people) during the 2 hours he was "on the loose" before the next shooting incident.
There is some media blaming the school for not 'locking down'. Faux (fox) News is runnign a piece now claiming 'parents are calling for the VT Presidents resignation'. By parents, they mean the two they found that said that.

Tech is a BIG campus. Around 30,000 students - and covers a few miles. There are 3 other local colleges/universities within a few miles - and thousands more students who share rooms with tech students off campus (which is hard to define considering its all in the same town area).

It's impossible to lock down a small city. Also note they have a sizable police force on campus, plus Blackburg police and Christiansburg Sheriffs all right there on top of the State Police HQ which are located just 20 minutes away.

That being said they all spend about 99% of their time arresting drunk students, harassing people, and never see any real crime. When something interesting does happen, there usually is about 30+ officers standing around within 10 minutes, all chattering like school girls about who saw what and what happened.

I say blame the cops - having been there, and knowing how they operate, they were disgraceful. Also, watch the clips on telly - you see large, overweight men attempting to run. It's sad to watch these mayberry keystone cops in action.

I guarantee every cop within 20 miles was gawking at the first shooting site for well into 2 hours before the second shooting happened.

Whats amazing is that after 9/11 they had the identies of the hijackers on the news within 20 minutes, but couldn't figure out who this student was even with his body in their hands for a day and a half...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #58
whispertwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
There is some media blaming the school for not 'locking down'. Faux (fox) News is runnign a piece now claiming 'parents are calling for the VT Presidents resignation'. By parents, they mean the two they found that said that.

Tech is a BIG campus. Around 30,000 students - and covers a few miles. There are 3 other local colleges/universities within a few miles - and thousands more students who share rooms with tech students off campus (which is hard to define considering its all in the same town area).

It's impossible to lock down a small city. Also note they have a sizable police force on campus, plus Blackburg police and Christiansburg Sheriffs all right there on top of the State Police HQ which are located just 20 minutes away.

That being said they all spend about 99% of their time arresting drunk students, harassing people, and never see any real crime. When something interesting does happen, there usually is about 30+ officers standing around within 10 minutes, all chattering like school girls about who saw what and what happened.

I say blame the cops - having been there, and knowing how they operate, they were disgraceful. Also, watch the clips on telly - you see large, overweight men attempting to run. It's sad to watch these mayberry keystone cops in action.

I guarantee every cop within 20 miles was gawking at the first shooting site for well into 2 hours before the second shooting happened.

Whats amazing is that after 9/11 they had the identies of the hijackers on the news within 20 minutes, but couldn't figure out who this student was even with his body in their hands for a day and a half...
Apparently, police had almost immediately detained a suspect in the original shooting. Since it has all the earmarks of a domestic situation (as indeed, this part still appears to be), they assumed erroneously that there was no need to panic the entire campus.

Of course, it's a sad commentary that 'domestic dispute' fatalities are so common as to be considered not worthy of official excitement.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #59
MollyMac

Nothing is more elitist than wishing death to others who you perceive in such a limited manner. Be grateful it was no one you knew.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #60
Mir

My misanthropic feelings are back again and stronger than ever.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #61
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Whether by the act of some god, karma, or by the natural order of things people will suffer for their mistakes nomatter what. The world has a funny way of paying everyone back for their contributions to the welfare of society. Science and religion both agree on the subject. Is people killing other people is a part of this as well? Are we of free will given by god or nature? Or can every choice every action everything be traced back as the result of a previous one, as Newton (maybe Einstein I keep mixing them up) said for every action there is and opposite reaction. Is this true of the behavior of life?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #62
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Are we of free will given by god or nature? Or can every choice every action everything be traced back as the result of a previous one, as Newton (maybe Einstein I keep mixing them up) said for every action there is and opposite reaction. Is this true of the behavior of life?
That was Sir Isaac Newton.

Ans yes, I would say that it applies to sociology, too. What goes around, comes around.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #63
MollyMac

If that was the case, then why the mass killing? It is not equal or opposite neither in scale nor in time. Human behaviour is not action/reaction even though we convince ourselves it is. It is all action... and excuses.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #64
Shyantra

OMG! Did I already miss all the debating and discussion? Or have I just come in time? lol *shrugs* But nonetheless that WAS a weird thing to see on TV when I was working. And I have a friend who goes there. O.o
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #65
Renatus

Think about the people in his life whose actions influenced theirs. Then the people who affected theirs etc etc. With how terrible the world is people shouldn't become shocked at somthing like a school shooting.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 04-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #66
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
If that was the case, then why the mass killing? It is not equal or opposite neither in scale nor in time. Human behaviour is not action/reaction even though we convince ourselves it is. It is all action... and excuses.
For clarification, that response I posted was just about answering the thing about Newton, not my opinion about the murderer, but I can see how that would be misinterpreted. I should have thought that post out better.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #67
raggedyanne

Bloopie, shove it. He apologized! I hope that the families and friends of the deceased are okay and I grieve for the slaughtered. I wish that our media would use this incident as a tool to educate the masses, but once again they've disappointed me. Yesterday, I (along with a friend) was dragged into the principals office and interrogated as to my thoughts about the incident. My friend and I were accused and questioned simply because we are the only two "goths" at my school. It's sad how they keep compairing goths to murderers based on a bad fashion choice by the columbine shooters.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #68
raggedyanne

Excuse me!?
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #69
raggedyanne

Oh, sorry, I had a moment of ineptitude
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #70
ArtificialOne

The media has already jumped all overthis blaming gun control/local govt/the school.

Did they pick up the gun and shoot people.

He could have done it with a knife.

I'm so sorry the families loss is being overshadowed by media politics.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:22 AM   #71
CptSternn

Something that I'm sure will be picked up on by the media, but hasn't been mentioned yet...

bush's speech and interviews afterwards yesterday. His whole 'all life is precious' speech. Also how he said he 'had to be there' for the memorial because of his 'strong feelings towards life'. Coming from a man who has yet to attend one single funeral for any soliders coming home from Iraq.

Then there is also the fact daily we see 'X' number of people killed in shootings, bombings, etc. in Iraq, and they don't even get a footnote on local news these days.

It's ironic with the shooter claiming to 'hate rich kids' - seeings how the media is covering this shooting which was aimed at upper class students, while at the same time a few weeks back a dozen college students were killed by a shooter at Baghdad University and it barely made the news, much like the 'errant' U.S. bomb that landed in a school playground yesterday in Afghanistan, killing dozens, but also never made the western news (it made Sky, AJ, and the wires though).

It just goes to show that the value of life in some peoples eyes is directly parallel to who they are.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:20 AM   #72
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
It just goes to show that the value of life in some peoples eyes is directly parallel to who they are.
I think the differential in reporting you see in the news corporations is because of where the victims are more than who they are; victims closer to home in any location get the same myopic treatment. Drill down further: yoiu will see the Chicago tribune will print on front page a Chicago hotel fire where an old person is killed on the front page, the Los Angeles Times will print a front page article of an officer killed in a shootout in Compton, London will print on it's front page an article about a suicide in Piccadilly Circus etc.

Local news is always priority because of the audience they sell to.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #73
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopie
*sighs* I miss the days of being a jaded know-it-all.
Stow it Bloopie!

While lack of parenting and/or support aren't the entire reasons for the wayward youth of today, one cannot deny that it has a big part to play in it. Of course, it may be the entire reason or not dependent on the individual in question.

This is all a matter of perspective and I, whilst never having acted or proclaimed to "know it all," reserve this as part of my opinion on why kids go wrong.

And as far as jaded, call it what you will, but I personally don't see the point in gasping everytime something terrible happens. Shit happens. That's life. The best we can do is strive to understand it, help to try to prevent it and be a better person yourself.

So get off your high horse and shut it.

Getting back to the topic- Didn't it take a week for Bush to fly out to where Katrina happened, but a day or so to fly out to VT???

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:14 AM   #74
Renatus

Bloopie the only reason why we tolerate you is that the reaper for goth.net hasn't gotten to you yet. You are not a know it all you never will be because one of the prerequisits is that you know somthing. Bad things happen in life, no one should be shocked that somone went and killed 33 people (including himself), nothing in life is shocking because anything is possible. In this day and age of rising violence especialy, while it is saddening it is not shocking.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 AM   #75
Vyvian Blackthorne

God, why am I just ever so unsurprised that Bloopie's trolling over here! I should tell my friends at the barney bunch to make a film all about how awful he is on YouTube. I already put him in one of my own videos.