Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
Anarasha

I wasted more than 6 months of my life

Yay.
I just found out that when I told the people at this school what I wanted to work with, they misunderstood me entirely and made me believe that this education would lead to graphic design(printed graphics) but what they actually meant was that I could become a web designer. Some incompetent buffoon couldn't tell the difference when I asked about graphic design, so here I am, 6 months later, finally realized what a mistake this has been and unaware where to go from here.
Lovely.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
creature6

that's why it's always best to have more than one person opinion when you have to make an important choice.
Now that you have found out that according to you 6 months of your life are gone,you can find a solution to your problem.
why don't you talk to someone in the school itself.I'm sure they employed someone to help students to make career choices and they are telling them which road they must take and what to do.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Anarasha

I did that, those people told me to go here.
I am done with them and their crap, from now on, I am on my own.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
MollyMac

and it took you six months to understand that there was a problem? jenius!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Anarasha

I am slowly closing in on the part of this that I thought was the part I needed, and now they come here and tell me that even though they told me it was what I needed, it is in fact not.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
Man In Room 5

So do all your graphic designs on webpages and then hit "print screen".

bwahaha
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
creature6

did you try to search on the net for any contact that could lead you to someone who knows about it?
why not getting in contact with people who are into graphic design and ask them what they had to do and study to get into that business line of work.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Still Jack

get addicted to coke and you'll have stuff to do soon enough.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Tam Li Hua

Man, that sucks, and I feel your pain. :'[ It's really aggravating when a university or college isn't straight about exactly what a person needs to take in order to get the career they want.

That being said, "graphic design" can refer to a great number of things, of which both printed graphics and website design fall.

What kind of career did you have in mind when you started? It probably isn't too late to find out and switch. Also, look for any job opportunities or internships that may help you learn a bit more about what you want to do.

[I'm full of good advice. Now if I can only learn to take my own. lol]
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
get addicted to coke and you'll have stuff to do soon enough.
True; Rehab -does- take up a lot of time. ;]
Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Ben Lahnger

The path to happiness lies in realizing only YOU are responsible for your own happiness.

You can choose to blame others for wasting 6 months of your life. Many people choose to do so in your circumstances. What do you gain from doing so? Absolution from trying to correct your fundamental errors and the emotional satisfaction that comes from being angry at someone else. None of that will make you any better at this.

You can also choose instead to assess why you weren't more aware of the consequences of the choices you were making, why you were so dependent on and uncritical of other people's opinions, why it took you so long to realize the misguided course your path had taken you on and what you need to do to make smarter choices going forward. You would do this not for emotional reasons but for the fact that it will make you better at this going forward.

It's your choice.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

I'm surprised you're upset about six months when it's clear your entire life is being wasted.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
Alan

Dude, six months isn't that much. You're in college, right? I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.
A substantial amount of people that go to college take about a year to finally decide their career path, taking several classes that won't help them at all in their new career paths.
You just wasted one semester. The biggest hassle is the money you spent, but as you're not in America I'll assume it's not as much. At least now you know have some extra knowledge. A graphic designer that also is competent in web design.

That said, I also will say that I believe you have more opportunities in web design. Too many graphic designers. Unless you're really balls-numbingly talented, you'll have a lot of competition. I'm not saying study that which will give you most money - I'm studying philosophy - but you have to consider all aspects.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
honeythorn

There must be someone on the college staff who you can speak to about getting at least some of your modules changed to what you want to do, even if they may not let you stop your current course and start the correct one? (which would be pretty pointless because you'd be 6 months behind the rest of the class in everything )

How long is your course? If you'll have to pay to study Graphic Design by the time you come to the end of this current one, then perhaps get yourself a part time job and save like hell to help pay for it, if it's a career you are absolutely dead set on? Even if it isn't, the money could help towards a different course if you've changed your mind by then.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Apathy's_Child

It's true that six months isn't the end of the world. It's fucking irritating, but it should be fixable. And you've learned a valuable lesson: to verify the shit out of any advice you've given because unfortunately, you can't always trust people to know their business.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
Anarasha

I am in fact not in college, I joined some unique education special to Denmark, I couldn't explain fully.
I wanna work with print, and they had me believing for 6 months that I was getting there, but in truth they are not gonna teach me crap about print, and then when 1½ years or so has passed, they had planned to throw me into some intern or something and hope they would teach me.
Sure, for an amateur I know a lot about print, but not nearly enough to intern somewhere.
I know it is basically my own fault, but I am still annoyed that I was misguided grossly like this.
This education turns out to lead to 4 kinds of different programmers; software programmers, network and server programmers, web programmers or programmer-related quality assurance technician.
Now as for this education I started, I might as well finish it now I suppose.
t's 2½ years left, and it should grant me access to proper places if nothing else.
Any other courses granting access to anything would take 2 years as well I suppose.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Ben Lahnger

Done. Next thread.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
I am in fact not in college, I joined some unique education special to Denmark, I couldn't explain fully. .
Yeah. If you can't explain your unique education.... Done. Next Thread.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Catch

Most printing presses are computerized now. Are you sure you shouldn't talk to someone first. Even if it is the wrong plan, credits will count for the right degree.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #20
Anarasha

What I actually meant was that it hasn't been done before, so I don't have a frame of reference.
The education itself is designed to figure out what a person wants to do in the world of IT and to reduce the stress of the regular educational system.
It consists of 6 terms of 6 months each.
Each term holds something different, and in the third term they are planning on sending us out in intern.
So far, I had one single week of Photoshop, and as I am sure you agree, that is not enough.
As for the rest of term 2 which I am on, they have not planned to teach us any more print related stuff.
On top of that, some amateur buffoon decided to tell them that I need to be a skilled programmer to work with print. As I am sure you know, that statement is utter bullshit.
All of this is weighing heavy on me, and that kinda takes the point out of a stress-light education when I am in fact stressed all the time. When my weekends end, all I can think is "Oh crap, another week.."
Today I almost snapped at the teacher for no appearent reason because I am annoyed and stressed all the time.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #21
Catch

Photoshop is fairly straight forward.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #22
Anarasha

Yes, it is. I know how to work it as well, it's not the technical knowledge of the programs as such, it's all the other stuff I need.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #23
Still Jack

What, like a life and maybe some friends?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #24
creature6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac View Post
Yeah. If you can't explain your unique education.... Done. Next Thread.
That's what you are dear.

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/8054-...onship_her.jpg
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #25
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
What, like a life and maybe some friends?
That too Jack, but I was thinking some knowledge of how to catch the eye on what's important, how things will work together, how to pick a font that works well etc. etc. etc. etc.