Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Asmoday

Oh necromancy...

I'm not new to this place but none of you will probably remember me, actually I can't remember me either on this site (my profile login details that is) - so here goes the intro thing again -

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I work as a programmer / graphic designer / sysadmin / glorified typist sort of thing. If it involves a computer it gets dumped on my desk. For entertainment I fence, play insanely violent pc games, feed my snake live mice, watch spooky movies (and then can't sleep for a week after), draw, play piano - that covers about most of it.

2. Where are you from?

South Africa

3. Who is your favorite author?

Poe, Lovecraft, poetry by Baudelaire - but I'm more of a non-fiction type of reader.

4. What are your favorite films?

Anything starring Depp (except that disney pirate crap - the first was ok but they went downhill from there IMO) or anything directed by Burton, and anything horrific and spooky, and especially anything that completely mindfucks me.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Not gonna happen.

6. At your funeral?

Severed garden by The Doors.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

I want death by orgasm :-)

8. What kind of casket would you want?

No coffin - I would like to be cremated and my ashes thrown to the wind.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

I don't really have a favourite - they're all cool.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Getting up to shit and letting my sister take a beating for it.

11. What's your favorite band?

Diary of dreams, mostly, but a whole bunch of other groups - the Doors, the Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, the Mission, Rotersand, the Awakening, Icon of Coil, Zeromancer... stuff like that.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

Finished postgraduate in 2006. Yeah I'm that old already.

13. Why did you join?

I miss all the bitching on this forum, plus my music knowledge is probably way behind by now so I wanna catch up a bit.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Girl
Asmoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmoday View Post
4. What are your favorite films?

Anything starring Depp (except that disney pirate crap - the first was ok but they went downhill from there IMO) or anything directed by Burton, and anything horrific and spooky, and especially anything that completely mindfucks me.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

I want death by orgasm :-)
If you want I could help you die ;]

I'm sure no one would miss someone like you... So you like Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, Sweeney Todd, etc..?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
If you want I could help you die ;]

I'm sure no one would miss someone like you... So you like Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, Sweeney Todd, etc..?
James and the Giant Peach wasn't directed by Tim Burton, it was Henry Selik ^_^ So was the Nightmare Before Christmas, Burton produced and co-wrote it, it was based on a poem he wrote. Vincent and The Corpse Bride are the only stop-motion animations Burton directed, to my knowledge.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Minyaliel

Welcome back, whoever you used to be. I like you. Yeah, you do miss the place after a while, donīt you? Iīve noticed that myself. Strange, really.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
maggot

Whats your old UN?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
James and the Giant Peach wasn't directed by Tim Burton, it was Henry Selik ^_^ So was the Nightmare Before Christmas, Burton produced and co-wrote it, it was based on a poem he wrote. Vincent and The Corpse Bride are the only stop-motion animations Burton directed, to my knowledge.
Yeah, I know... if they would've said yes, I could've proved a point. Thanks for ruining my strategically worded plan. :[
Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Mr E Nigma

(Would've been something to do with Burton not being as great a director as people give him credit for etc.. etc..)

For some reason people think he directed Coraline as well.... dunno why though.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Saya

Suuure, good cover up

He did direct two of the better Batman movies, though, thats a lot more than certain other directors can say.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
JCC

Quote:
Suuure, good cover up

He did direct two of the better Batman movies, though, thats a lot more than certain other directors can say.
But those two Batman movies were still both pretty boring and didn't do anything to do the comics justice (Burton has said that he doesn't read comics, and that explains the two movies, I guess), it's like taking a shit on three people's faces, then saying that you could've done a shit on ten people's faces like the guy after you, so you're actually considerate. You still did a shit on people's faces.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
But those two Batman movies were still both pretty boring and didn't do anything to do the comics justice (Burton has said that he doesn't read comics, and that explains the two movies, I guess), it's like taking a shit on three people's faces, then saying that you could've done a shit on ten people's faces like the guy after you, so you're actually considerate. You still did a shit on people's faces.
Boring? The Joker gave me nightmares and to this day The Penguin scares the shit out of me, and Catwoman was very unsettling. Yes they weren't a whole lot like the comics (He did read The Killing Joke btw, hence the Joker's origin story) but they did keep to the mood of the comics and also Keaton's Batman remains the best IMO, his Bruce Wayne was light hearted enough in public to avoid suspicion and his emotional turmoil was much more subtle and believable than Bale's.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Asmoday

Minyaliel - thanks and yes, this forum has some strange magnetism that makes you miss it!!

E Nigma - Sleepy Hollow actually - that's my favourite Burton movie. Think I'm a poseur do you? I guess only time will tell. Oh and if I feel ready to die I'll keep your offer in mind

Maggot - no I'm not gonna divulge that bit of information - I was here two-three years back and a lot of stuff's happened in my life since then, so I kinda wanna make a clean break and start over.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Boring? The Joker gave me nightmares and to this day. The Penguin scares the shit out of me, and Catwoman was very unsettling. Yes they weren't a whole lot like the comics (He did read The Killing Joke btw, hence the Joker's origin story)
The Killing Joke isn't the source of the Joker origin story that appears in Burton's Batman. In fact, even if Burton read it-- which he himself professes to have never done-- it's unlikely that his doing so had any impact on the movie's script, which was probably finalized long before Moore's book was published in March 1988. Moreover, although I hate Tim Burton, I do credit him with sufficient intelligence that I can't imagine he'd readi The Killing Joke and still characterize the Joker as Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson wearing makeup.

Quote:
Also Keaton's Batman remains the best IMO, his Bruce Wayne was light hearted enough in public to avoid suspicion and his emotional turmoil was much more subtle and believable than Bale's.
Granted, Bale does enjoy a far better script, but his acting power simply surpasses Keaton's tenfold. Nolan and Burton were both fortunate in that hand-picking a Batman from their respective stables didn't result in disastrous disappointment, but the former was luckier. Not only does Bale possesses the charisma and the physique to portray the character in a way that Keaton just didn't, but even beyond this his acting experience prepared him for the role to an almost uncanny degree-- Empire of the Sun at age 12, American Psycho and The Machinist before Batman Begins, as well as The Prestige and I'm Not There before The Dark Knight. There's a reason Christian Bale was big before Batman and is now the biggest action star in the world, while Michael Keaton's appearance as the character is flanked by shitty comedies and First Daughter.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
-Falloe-

Aside from all of this comic book talk. I wanna hug you mentally and say welcome. Mr E Nigmas a perv.
-Falloe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
The Killing Joke isn't the source of the Joker origin story that appears in Burton's Batman. In fact, even if Burton read it-- which he himself professes to have never done-- it's unlikely that his doing so had any impact on the movie's script, which was probably finalized long before Moore's book was published in March 1988. Moreover, although I hate Tim Burton, I do credit him with sufficient intelligence that I can't imagine he'd readi The Killing Joke and still characterize the Joker as Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson wearing makeup.
I don't know if you have recently purchased the book or have an older copy, but the hardcover copy I received last year has it right there on the cover, ""I loved THE KILLING JOKE…It's my favorite. It's the first comic I've ever loved" -Tim Burton. He does profess to not being into comics, but that doesn't quite mean that he has never read one. Whether or not he himself had Jack Nicholson characterize the Joker as himself is a little difficult to determine as it is incredibly difficult for Jack Nicholson to portray any other persona other than "Creepy sinister Nicholson" or "Grumpy old man Nicholson."

Quote:
Granted, Bale does enjoy a far better script, but his acting power simply surpasses Keaton's tenfold. Nolan and Burton were both fortunate in that hand-picking a Batman from their respective stables didn't result in disastrous disappointment, but the former was luckier. Not only does Bale possesses the charisma and the physique to portray the character in a way that Keaton just didn't, but even beyond this his acting experience prepared him for the role to an almost uncanny degree-- Empire of the Sun at age 12, American Psycho and The Machinist before Batman Begins, as well as The Prestige and I'm Not There before The Dark Knight. There's a reason Christian Bale was big before Batman and is now the biggest action star in the world, while Michael Keaton's appearance as the character is flanked by shitty comedies and First Daughter.
Granted I have forced myself to forget Batman Begins, but thats the one where they built up The Scarecrow, and then quickly swept him aside so Bale and Neeson could duke it out over a microwave, right? The Dark Knight was a masterpiece, but I couldn't help feel that they learned from Batman Begins and pushed Bale aside a bit to concentrate more on the villains who had a lot more charisma.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Mir

We have much in common. Welcome. Always nice to see non-teen members join up.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
I don't know if you have recently purchased the book or have an older copy, but the hardcover copy I received last year has it right there on the cover, ""I loved THE KILLING JOKE…It's my favorite. It's the first comic I've ever loved" -Tim Burton.
It's possible that he read it later, but as I said, I doubt it influenced the movie.

Quote:
Granted I have forced myself to forget Batman Begins, but thats the one where they built up The Scarecrow, and then quickly swept him aside so Bale and Neeson could duke it out over a microwave, right? The Dark Knight was a masterpiece, but I couldn't help feel that they learned from Batman Begins and pushed Bale aside a bit to concentrate more on the villains who had a lot more charisma.
Yeah, clearly Nolan and Goyer began developing The Dark Knight with every intention to deviate as completely as possible from Batman Begins, the critically acclaimed, massively successful movie that single-handedly rescued the Batman film franchise. I'm sure they especially wanted to reduce the presence of that movie's lead actor, so he wouldn't have a chance to give another lauded performance.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
Mr E Nigma

Honestly I wasn't the biggest fan of Bale in The Dark Knight. I'm quite a fan of both the new Batman movies, but I believe Bale's acting lacked compared to the first one, though I will say the movie did focus on the villains a lot more than Batman. To me Bale should've been considered the supporting actor and Ledger the Leading role. But because it's a Batman movie obviously that wouldn't make sense.

And one reason I'm not as big a fan of Burton and his batman association is that he helped out with Batman Forever.... horrible.. movie.

Asmoday - I don't think you're a poseur, just that Burton gets more credit than he deserves just for putting his name on something... that's all. I mean he's good, he just gets credit for other people's work sometimes.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
Honestly I wasn't the biggest fan of Bale in The Dark Knight. I'm quite a fan of both the new Batman movies, but I believe Bale's acting lacked compared to the first one, though I will say the movie did focus on the villains a lot more than Batman. To me Bale should've been considered the supporting actor and Ledger the Leading role. But because it's a Batman movie obviously that wouldn't make sense.
Batman and the Joker actually had about equal screen-time, although the latter seems to have an incongruously substantial presence in the narrative due to our acclimatization to films wherein the antagonist only receives half as much attention as the protagonist, as well as the strength of Ledger's acting.
Honestly, a lot can happen in the editing room-- I'm pretty confident that the movie would have exhibited a more conventional structure had Ledger not died.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #19
Corpsey

S.I.M.S.?

What part of South Africa do you live in? You enjoying those rolling blackouts?

Im quite a big fan of Diary of Dreams myself.

Welcome back S.I.M.S.?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Batman and the Joker actually had about equal screen-time, although the latter seems to have an incongruously substantial presence in the narrative due to our acclimatization to films wherein the antagonist only receives half as much attention as the protagonist, as well as the strength of Ledger's acting.
Honestly, a lot can happen in the editing room-- I'm pretty confident that the movie would have exhibited a more conventional structure had Ledger not died.
I don't really believe his death had much to do with how the movie went about to be honest.

If anything The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was the movie that has been edited extensively and had a couple of rewrites due to Ledger's death during. And kudos to Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Collin Farrel for pressing the director to make rewrites and let them help play the rest of the same role so the movie could see light. I'm not sure if it will be good or not, but it's the last movie he's in and I'll be happy to go see what his last work might have been. Also kudos to Depp, Law, and Farrel for giving their earnings from the movie to Ledger's daughter. I don't really care about celebrities and their charitable contributions, but that one, in my book, is worth accreditation.

(I apologize for any bit of this post that makes no sense or has errors, I've been awake going on 3 days and I'm not really at my best at the moment.)
Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #21
Asmoday

Thanks Mir and Corpsey - no I wasn't S.I.M.S - but anyway I'm from Pretoria and luckily there's no loadshedding in my area - too many hospitals and fire stations around there.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #22
maggot

Is it PersephoneX? I hope so
Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
maggot

OR OR OR is it Nevan?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #24
Pyre

American Psycho will always be my favorite Christian Bale film (and was also the first one I saw). I thought Dark Knight was phenomenal the first time I saw it, but it's too long to give it a second watch since the excitement was in the suspense and the action. Knowing already what to expect makes the movie less watchable to me, such as with Sin City.

Also, I agree Burton receives too much credit, especially for that piece of theatrical crap called Corpse Bride. But, in general the movies he takes part in are rather enjoyable. I am both interested and appalled by the idea of him remaking Frankenweenie, but I am curious to see how it compares to the original.

Also, welcome back, OP, though I likely knew you not.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #25
Underwater Ophelia

Why would you guys press knowing who it is when she's made it clear she doesn't want to talk about it/reveal it?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote