Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
BloodFlow

Greetings Guys and Ghouls

Hi! Excuse the ridiculous title.

I'm a 24 year old American male just sort of getting into the goth scene, though I've gravitated toward it for some time. I arrived at the goth identity in a pretty roundabout way - as a kid I loved horror films and had a thing for Poe. In my early teens I idolized Lord Byron and Iggy Pop, and got really into transgressive literature. I've always been into music, and in high school I was obsessive with genres like 70s glam rock, punk, and post-punk music. I found Ziggy Stardust-era Bowie, Transformer-era Lou Reed, and early Roxy Music mesmerizing. With post-punk I loved groups like The Jesus and Mary Chain and The Chameleons, and I went through a period of fascination with industrial groups like Einstürzende Neubauten, SPK, and Front Line Assembly. Religiously I never found anything satisfying, though philosophical systems like Zen and the modern take on Taoism appeal to me. I could never accept the polytheistic aspect of neo-paganism, but the nature-based pantheistic side definitely appeals to me. For personal philosophy I've always put a huge emphasis on the strength of emotion, you could even say romanticism.
Plus I've always felt drawn to radicalism in art and politics . . . though I'm pretty politically middle of the road, I have a fascination with people like Peter Kropotkin, the guy who invented anarcho-communism, as well as Max Stirner, pretty much the most extreme individualist in the canon of political philosophy.
Still, I don't think I really made the goth connection until rather recently, despite my teenage excitement at finding the "real" goth when I discovered Christian Death (plus I still think Black Tape for a Blue Girl is the greatest band name I've ever heard).
So yeah, at some point I had to admit to myself that there is an entire subculture of people who share my general philosophies and tastes in media.

As far as music goes, I think goth is actually at a really interesting point right now. I never got into the witch house genre, but I have to think that it must have given the goth subculture a new angle of exposure to the general public. The thing that really excites me, though, is the "lo-fi goth" thing that's getting big. My favorites to come out of this are The Grave Babies and Zola Jesus. Even outside that genre, there are a number of big singer-songwriters with obvious goth overtones right now - I'm a big fan of Antony & The Johnsons, Patrick Wolf, and Soap&Skin.

I've never really been involved in the goth scene, but I was active in San Francisco's hardcore punk scene for a year. I'm kind of stranded at the moment because I'm in the Peace Corps in Senegal, but once this is over I'll check out the scene in my home state, Colorado - I know Denver has some goth nights, not to mention a decent punk/metal scene. That said, I think I'd really like to move to Glasgow or Osaka, both of which are great for music.

Anyway, I have a BA in international affairs, and I placed a large emphasis in school on peace/conflict. After the Peace Corps I plan to go into journalism.
Hmm . . . oh, and I have a pet theory that comics have the unrealized potential to become the ultimate artistic medium.

I look forward to talking with you all, though it's too bad I didn't get here until after the golden age of internet forums.
BloodFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Versus

But I wanted to know what your favorite outfit is and what you miss about childhood.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
BloodFlow

This is an intro thread, so I introduced myself and what I have to do with Goth. Sorry if that bothers you.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
Versus

Aren't you just precious.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Acharis

Don't mind us, this is just how Gnet interacts.

Thanks for the band suggestions. I'm tending to be a bit sus of the whole hipster-goth thing that's happening lately, but I need more music and some of the witchhouse was good.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Saya

A lot of us aren't really goth anymore XD I'd say a good chunk of the regulars joined when we were teens and grew out of it. Still goths around, but I think its either evenly split or they are the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFlow View Post
oh, and I have a pet theory that comics have the unrealized potential to become the ultimate artistic medium.
We have a comics thread in literature called Comic Sans Shitstorm where for a year I held on to the belief that DC isn't determined to get rid of all its non-white male fans, but recently I decided just to cut them off. Any ongoings you're into?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post

Thanks for the band suggestions. I'm tending to be a bit sus of the whole hipster-goth thing that's happening lately, but I need more music and some of the witchhouse was good.
Wait, there's a hipster goth thing happening lately?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
Miss Absynthe

I was a hipster goth before it was cool.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
Acharis

Where I am, yeah. It's not really my thing but oh well.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Saya

Quote:
Where I am, yeah. It's not really my thing but oh well.
I'm genuinely really curious. What do they wear? What do they listen to?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
BloodFlow

Quote:

OK, thanks for the response. I can definitely understand not being too warm to the new hipsterish stuff - I've been to plenty of concerts with condescending, insufferably rude audience members associated with that subculture. That said, the modern hipster thing got so ridiculous so quickly (with people actually wearing lenseless thick-rimmed glasses and the like) that I think it might be on its way out.

Anyway, here are a couple samples of some of the stuff I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45HXufyP55c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV9ZGLg7jI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NziGE6DVY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJqdISO9Bk