Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #51
dead_poets_rising

Hmm... currently squeezing out of my brain a book about humans in an age where the symbiosis between humans and bacteria has gone to an extreme... lol it's called "Not Afraid to Die," and the people in it go into "Neo Vida" when they're about 60 or so, and their old human bodies are mutated so they become sort of deathless bacterial-human combinations. Fantasy's easier for me to write than sci-fi, but maybe this will be worth it.
dead_poets_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #52
lady_cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_poets_rising View Post
Hmm... currently squeezing out of my brain a book about humans in an age where the symbiosis between humans and bacteria has gone to an extreme... lol it's called "Not Afraid to Die," and the people in it go into "Neo Vida" when they're about 60 or so, and their old human bodies are mutated so they become sort of deathless bacterial-human combinations. Fantasy's easier for me to write than sci-fi, but maybe this will be worth it.
That actually sounds really good!
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #53
Apathy's_Child

A grotesque short, more to amuse myself than because it's anything awesome.

Something I've noticed in this thread reminds me of Melly's in a way, where there was a discussion on the importance of prose style. A lot of people seem to be writing novels. I find shorts much better for developing your prose style - no way do I want to get halfway through an attempt at a masterpiece before realizing the initial writing sucks. Shorts are good for improving without too much investment. Not a slate, just an observation.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #54
dead_poets_rising

*nod*

To some degree, I see what you mean -- actually most of my writing's always been short stories and/or poetry, for somewhat of the same reason as you have. But there's some stuff I've come up with that I found needed a larger forum to deal with it, so to speak lol.
dead_poets_rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #55
sarahbr11

This is an awesome idea for a thread.
I'm working on a neo noir grafic novel about hit men, call girls, drug dealers, and seriously nasty lawyer. I usually just write poetry and start (I haven't finished anything in months) some short stories and novels. HOpefully this one will keep me interested long enougth to finish it. Do any of you think you'd actually read something like this?
sarahbr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #56
ssj_goku

i was thinking I'd like to write a storry about a revanent...like not a ghost or a zombie, but a guy who comes back from the dead to fight vampires...and myabe his brother is now a vampire and they don't want to fight each other but they have to?

I dunno it's going to be better than it sounds here...
ssj_goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #57
Apathy's_Child

I know you're trying to troll here, and I don't wanna break your stride or anything, but you should totally write that. The plot of The Highlander + vampires = epic hilarity.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #58
ssj_goku

Thanks! (though I'm really not trolling)

I have a friend who likes to draw...maybe I should make it a comic book?
ssj_goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #59
Apathy's_Child

Fuck yeah. Camp it up to hell. I was actually thinking comic strip - a short one would make the cliche nice and punchy. It's not a storyline to be drawn out, but short and visual could make a pretty decent parody.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #60
lady_cthulhu

^I don't know, if he worked on it hard it might become something good. I know people are burned out on reading about the undead what with the current craze, but vampire stuff runs in cycles anyway. It goes away and comes back every ten years or so. I'd read it if you finished it up nice, goku
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #61
Fruitbat

Writing a YA book. It's a love story.

It is a book about perceptions, love, obligations, promises and self-renewal. When clinging to the old you is no longer an option.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #62
Sinjob

Critiques of one of the Internets most articulate and profound young writers,

DARKEMOSTAR.

Please, for the love of god, go check out the poetry board for a laugh.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #63
ape descendant

I've been writing random shit in a crappy disjointed "creative writing" book.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #64
MsKikiLaRue

I'm attempting to write a children's comic book called Violence and Chaos. It's about a little girl named Violence who lives in a city called (what else) Chaos. No one she knows has ever been outside the county limits, and the adults in her town proclaim that nothing exist outside the county. She never questioned it until she got a new neighbor, a boy named Chestnut Fernando. Suddenly out of nowhere he and his family disappeared. Now Violence is questioning the rational about everything around her world, and if it's even real.

I got inspired from a lot of outside sources. I know it's not very thought provoking, but it's for children. I want it to be as minimal as possible so they can decipher and invent much of the story themselves.
MsKikiLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #65
FreeCharlie

poems often shorter than long but when i'm in a cloudy state and a line floats by i try and work on it and if a day later it still reads aswell as i thought...it did i keep it
FreeCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #66
Despanan

Just got brought on as the head sketch writer for a show in the east village called "God Tastes like Chicken".

Currently working on a sketch spoofing on Sarah Palin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #67
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Just got brought on as the head sketch writer for a show in the east village called "God Tastes like Chicken".

Currently working on a sketch spoofing on Sarah Palin.
Congratulations.

I'm editing my book, so no real writing here.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #68
korinna5555

Dark grey and purple cut-off jeans, grey tank top, Christian Death hoodie.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #69
vindicatedxjin

Writing hun, not wearing ^_^

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #70
Fruitbat

Editing my second book, trying to create a realistic male character in a YA romance. I think I should just book into a padded room.

Might do some automatic writing to get my brain flowing again.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #71
Apathy's_Child

I've been really fucking up recently - most everything I've written for MONTHS has been truly awful. I got really into playwriting about 6 months ago - something I never thought I'd be interested in before, considering the amount of accommodation it necessitates - and did some stuff I was really happy with, considering it's a medium I learned from scratch, via both friends, and good ol' trial & error. (By the way, one of my plays is going to be put on in north Jersey next spring - it's my friend's own independent from-scratch theatre company, so not exactly rags-to-riches, big break shit. But I'm still looking forward to it - that's the last thign I wrote that I really felt I'd nailed when I finished.) But even that's taken a nosedive. It's getting to the point where I'm having to re-read old stuff of mine that I've liked, desperately trying to reassure myself that the idea I might actually be pretty GOOD at this wasn't just self-delusion all along. The jury's still out on that shit.

So, in keeping with my recent(ish) experimental kick, I've decided to hope to fuck this is just a rough patch, and use it as down-time to branch out. I'm currently writing a screenplay for a television series, since it's something I've never even considered touching before. It's another entirely new medium, but that doesn't bother me this time around, since it's written on the understanding that this is pure, simple, for-my-eyes-only, practise.

Since it's this is a purgative rather than a goal-oriented project, I decided to start out with the lamest premise I could think up, and see if I can re-work it into something worth a damn. In keeping with this spirit of self-loathing perversity, it's about fairies.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #72
Sinjob

Scarcely working on a few drafts (lately the clusterfuck I've been living has done wonders for inspiration) including a screenplay about me and my troubled neighbor, re-editing some songwriting, and another script about a repressed inconfident shell of a man based off my history teacher Mr. Walters (being the smartass I am I facetiously re-named him "MR. WALL").

Ironically the latter script is a SCHOOL assignment (rest assure another class at the moment 'til I get the rest of my shit together and may just make it on my own).
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #73
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
*snip*
Ironically the latter script is a SCHOOL assignment (rest assure another class at the moment 'til I get the rest of my shit together and may just make it on my own).
make what on your own Sin?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #74
Apathy's_Child

BUMP. (How the fuck did this thread die?)

Finished TV series screenplay for a first season. There isn't really much I can "do" with it, but I'm actually pretty pleased with the finished product, so it's served its purpose as practice. Also got into it enuogh to plot out season arcs for another 3 series. I'll probably keep it on the back-burner for something to keep me going next time I get artistically constipated.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #75
CuckooTuli

A few things - a play set in a train station over a full night of continual delays (the current Thatcherite cuts the UK is experiencing are obviously an influence, although it'll hopefully be more than just a political diatribe), and a television screenplay set in a dominatrix parlour. The screenplay is a collaberation with a friend, and we're still at the kicking ideas around stage at the moment. Also shooting off a few small solo bits and bobs, mostly satirical rants and suchlike.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote