Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
livingshadow99

Angry My ******* parents!

First, my dad thinks goths are depressed homocidals so I can definitely sleep well at night knowing what would happen if he found out I was goth. My mom is much more interesting... Well she has always made fun of me saying ¨don't you know you aren't supposed to not care what others think of you until you are 80″ and ″I am proud you have enough self confidence to dress like a freak″! Earlier I dedided to drop I like on Marilyn Manson's facebook page (I know he isn't goth but that doesn't mean I can't like his music) and my crazy religous dad told my (her personality is an enigma) mom who originally was like ″he is from the 80's I can't beleive you lik3 him but later came back saying ″he is mentally challenged lunatic you can't listen to him″ after reading his new album title 'Date ****' and didn't actually look at the meanings behind his songs! Her other reason is that ″people will think your a freak″ (like I care)! Later while looking through her stuff (I do that when im pissed). I found out that on facebook she has been telling everyone in pm's that I listen to ″godawful gothic rock and symphonic metal″ even though she likes most of the real goth bands. Aren't you happy your not me?
livingshadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Acharis

Yep, the old 'subculture as a point of conflict during adolescence'. Give it some time, there's usually some tension as you get older and try out your own thing. Do what you enjoy without being scary or going over the top (black lipstick and corpse paint is rarely a good look) and they'll get more used to it. If it doesn't improve then I'd just soak up the free lodgings and get out of there once you've finished school.

You'll get the music-related snark everywhere, so don't worry about that. I would suggest borrowing her old goth stuff though because some of it is very good.

Stop stalking and hacking each other on Facebook though. It's creepy. And that's coming from me.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
livingshadow99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Yep, the old 'subculture as a point of conflict during adolescence'. Give it some time, there's usually some tension as you get older and try out your own thing. Do what you enjoy without being scary or going over the top (black lipstick and corpse paint is rarely a good look) and they'll get more used to it. If it doesn't improve then I'd just soak up the free lodgings and get out of there once you've finished school.

You'll get the music-related snark everywhere, so don't worry about that. I would suggest borrowing her old goth stuff though because some of it is very good.

Stop stalking and hacking each other on Facebook though. It's creepy. And that's coming from me.
Thx! I lol'd at your response to the facebook thing. It isn't as creepy as it might have come out as, she just forgot to log out and I noticed while I was really pissed. However, she claims to have keyloggers on my pc (but im fine right now so I guess not)
livingshadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Alan

Ahhhh, to be a teenager again and think that parents disapproving of music is the worst problem in the world.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
ape descendant

The teen years are such a small part of your life. I know all this stuff seems huge and super real right now, but soon enough you'll be out on your own and hopefully missing the crap out of your folks.

It is a rare thing for parents not to hate their kid's horrible music and fashion sense. My parents sure hated mine to the point of going through my room, confiscating my music and clothes on a regular basis. While I vehemently disagree with their methods, I understand that they weren't acting out of malice, but that they were just worried about their kid being into something that they thought was dark and scary.

When you're together, listen to music you both enjoy. If you want to listen to stuff they hate, you could try putting on some headphones so they don't have to hear it coming out of your room, it is their house after all.

For now, worry about being a good person, study hard and gain understanding. When you get older, these battles will be the most important ones.

Be Kind

Last edited by ape descendant; 08-03-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: parental redundancy
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Versus

Apparently, Saya was unaware of that Dee Snider vs. Tipper Gore thing in 1984. XD you learn something new everyday.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
Lilyth Von Gore

Dude. If you think you've got it bad, I'm 21 and I still live with my Catholic Grandparents (apparently I'm not eligible for a flat yet).
They constantly moan about my appearance and how a young lady like me shouldn't wear black and heavy eye make up.
But I just ignore them. That's all you can do. Keep the peace. I know it's difficult (especially when they slam your favorite music), but you have to remember that, to them, the Goth lifestyle is dark and scary. It's been portrayed as evil and Satanic by popular media (remember when Marylin Manson's music got blamed for that Goth chicks suicide a few years ago?). Parents are GOING to be scared of it.
Lilyth Von Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Alan

What if, it's not that parents are scared, but they're embarrassed their kid looks like a dumbass?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote