Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
SceneGirlzz

Painful Piercings?

I recently turned 13 and I am going to get my Monroe pierced.
I haven't had a lot of experiences with piercings before besides getting my friends to pierce my ears with a sewing need 4 times
But unfortunately they had to be removed due to infection and crookedness.
Anyways, just wondering on a scale of 1-10 of painfully piercings where does a Monroe sit?
I have a bit of a high tolerance with pain sometimes but I'm just wondering.
Also how long do you think that it would take for my ears to heal, it has been about 2-3 months but they still hurt more than usual (Which isn't a lot at all) when I pinch them and they are a bit scarred. I'm desperate to get them pierced again as I can only get my Monroe pierced if my ears are successfully pierced.
Thank you
SceneGirlzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Solumina

If you get them done by someone who can do their job well it doesn't hurt much at all, then again there aren't a whole lot of legit piercers who are going to pierce a kid your age.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Mr.Doobie

For future reference, all of your piercing related needs can be taken care of here ->https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=6621.

First of all, as you're 13, you'll need to get your parents permission before you get anything pierced, anywhere.

Second of all, I wonder, why do you need your ears pierced before you get a Monroe?

Third, make sure you go to a professional piercer. I can not stress this enough. If your piercer pulls out a piercing gun, get out of there, that guy is a butcher. Any piercer worth his salt will tell you that getting a piercing done with a gun is dumb (almost as dumb as having your friends pierce you with a sewing needle). A true professional may be more expensive, but trust me, it will be worth it.

You ever hear the saying, "you get what you pay for"? In the world of body modifications, this is often the case.

As far as pain goes, I mentioned in the piercing thread that I also have a high pain tolerance. However, I will also tell you that the lip was probably one of my most painful piercings. That said, it's still close to nothing. You can definitely tough it out.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
SceneGirlzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doobie View Post
For future reference, all of your piercing related needs can be taken care of here ->https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=6621.

First of all, as you're 13, you'll need to get your parents permission before you get anything pierced, anywhere.

Second of all, I wonder, why do you need your ears pierced before you get a Monroe?

Third, make sure you go to a professional piercer. I can not stress this enough. If your piercer pulls out a piercing gun, get out of there, that guy is a butcher. Any piercer worth his salt will tell you that getting a piercing done with a gun is dumb (almost as dumb as having your friends pierce you with a sewing needle). A true professional may be more expensive, but trust me, it will be worth it.

You ever hear the saying, "you get what you pay for"? In the world of body modifications, this is often the case.

As far as pain goes, I mentioned in the piercing thread that I also have a high pain tolerance. However, I will also tell you that the lip was probably one of my most painful piercings. That said, it's still close to nothing. You can definitely tough it out.
I do have my parents permission, and my Aunty is taking me to get it done for my birthday.

I have had previous ear piercing infections since I was about 5 or 7 when I first got my ears pierced and my mum wondered if it was because I may have an allergic reaction. I'm am going to try my ears again before I get any facial piercings just in case I do have a reaction and I get disgusting, pussy lump on my face, that wouldn't be very nice..

I am definitely going to a professional, getting my friends to do it was just an experiment and will not be happening again. I would never get pierced by a gun, they leave aweful marks & scars, and the needle has to be diamond tip.

I don't care about price, I'm happy to pay for my piercings as well, like you said they are worth it and would not want to be messed around with.

Thank you for your advice and tips.
SceneGirlzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Pineapple_Juice

My monroe didn't hurt all that bad, and I'm a wimp and scared of needles. The only time it's ever really caused me a lot of pain is when the backing got caught on my teeth.

The way I figure it is that it doesn't matter how much it hurts when you get it done, because the pain only lasts for a few seconds and then you have this sweet piercing you can brag about and show off to all your friends.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
MissCheyenne

Oh fuck, I forgot how much it hurts when you get the backing of a lip/monroe piercing caught on your teeth. That is nasty.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
carakitty

Well, SceneGirlzz, here's my opinion...

With your history of infections I'd say give your body time to heal before any further body mods. Have you seen a doctor about this problem? Are you using an antibiotic treatment on your ears? Possibly taking an oral antibiotic as well?

When my naval piercing got infected I had to do both. It was a nasty case. I haven't pierced anything else since then, but mainly because I don't really want to.

After the infections clear up completely wait at least 2-3 weeks and go to a professional.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Solumina

If you think you have a metal allergy then try wearing rings/necklaces/bracelets, if you have an allergy then you will react to the metal being on your skin and you can get a better idea of what you are actually allergic to and get a piercing that doesn't contain that metal. I think the most common metal allergy is nickle, which is found in a lot of jewelry (an not just the cheap stuff) but any piercer worth their salt won't use anything containing nickle, though there are other metal allergies out there. It's also pretty likely that you just got an infection and there was no allergy to begin with but there is no harm in ruling out an allergy.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
PortraitOfSanity

Metal allergies are irrelevant in most cases if you get the right jewelry, because it's mostly surgical steel. I'm allergic to metal on skin, I can't even wear a watch, and my piercings have never bothered me. Just don't use cheap piece of shit posts from Claire's and the like.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Solumina

"In most cases" being the key words as there are some people who are allergic to surgical steel, even implant grade surgical steel, there are also some people who are allergic to titanium, which is also commonly used in body mods. Thankfully both are rare allergies so they are unlikely and it is even less likely that you would be allergic to both even if you are unlucky enough to be allergic to one it shouldn't be an issue to get pierced with the other.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Sinjob

Prince Albert for the win.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
Prince Albert for the win.
Very much this.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Metal allergies are irrelevant in most cases if you get the right jewelry, because it's mostly surgical steel. I'm allergic to metal on skin, I can't even wear a watch, and my piercings have never bothered me. Just don't use cheap piece of shit posts from Claire's and the like.
Do you know a reputable site where I can order surgical steel nose rings? I can't find anything around here but silver, which keeps turning black.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
"In most cases" being the key words as there are some people who are allergic to surgical steel, even implant grade surgical steel, there are also some people who are allergic to titanium, which is also commonly used in body mods. Thankfully both are rare allergies so they are unlikely and it is even less likely that you would be allergic to both even if you are unlucky enough to be allergic to one it shouldn't be an issue to get pierced with the other.
And I just learneded something! Never met or heard of anyone allergic to surgical steel. Heard of titanium though.

-Mr. Filth
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Do you know a reputable site where I can order surgical steel nose rings? I can't find anything around here but silver, which keeps turning black.
Depends on how ordinary/cheap you want.

These guys have some of the coolest shit ever:
http://www.chaotictrading.com/
http://www.onetribe.nu/

Cheap?
http://www.painfulpleasures.com/

-Mr. Filth
Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
Saya

Excellent, I need cheap for now but I'll keep the other two in mind if I decide to stretch my earlobes, thanks!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
And I just learneded something! Never met or heard of anyone allergic to surgical steel. Heard of titanium though.
They are extremely rare but I had a friend in high school with one. It didn't come up much since it was pretty mild but she had a couple of screws in her foot and they couldn't be surgical steel, I think they were titanium. If it hadn't been for her then I doubt I would have heard of it either.
-Carbon Leaf