Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
upir lichy

i'm so freaking bored!

i have been sitting at my house by myself for the last four days. shit you not, the only people i've seen in this time is my sister and her husband! they stopped by for like two minutes! normally i would like the quite but after this long i'm starting to talk to myself and answer myself! am i going fuckin crazy!?
upir lichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by upir lichy View Post
i'm starting to talk to myself and answer myself! am i going fuckin crazy!?
No you're not, that's actually a sign of intelligence or so I keep telling myself.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Fruitbat

Yes you are crazy - welcome to my world... mwah-ha-ha-ha

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
upir lichy

haha! well that makes me feel better!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Fruitbat

the first sign of being crazy is hair on your palms.

The second sign of being crazy is looking for it!

Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
the first sign of being crazy is hair on your palms.

The second sign of being crazy is looking for it!
I like that! I was always told that if you are crazy, you can draw a perfect circle. I tried it once, but apparently using a compass doesn't count. Oh well, at least the voices don't judge me.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethsteen View Post
I like that! I was always told that if you are crazy, you can draw a perfect circle. I tried it once, but apparently using a compass doesn't count. Oh well, at least the voices don't judge me.
What about a dinner plate?

I don't have voices, which makes me feel lonely sometimes, but that could be because I always wear tinfoil on my head to stop the govt from infiltrating my thoughts

Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Garethsteen

Quote:
I don't have voices, which makes me feel lonely sometimes, but that could be because I always wear tinfoil on my head to stop the govt from infiltrating my thoughts
I don't have to worry about our government messing with my mind, the whole lot couldn't find their arse with a map and compass.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
upir lichy

voices in my head? check! hair on my palms? check! shitty government? double check! yep i'm screwed!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
ape descendant

You are a silly person.... it is spelled "quiet", not "quite".

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Apathy's_Child

If you're unable to entertain yourself when bored, it's likely because you tend towards being boring. Most people with even a little spark are able to distract theselves from the silence between their ears BEFORE it becomes a howling vaccuum.

Just sayin'.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Fruitbat

Quote:
I don't have to worry about our government messing with my mind, the whole lot couldn't find their arse with a map and compass.
*giggle*

Can I use this one?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
Garethsteen

Quote:
*giggle*

Can I use this one?
Of course, after all it's only fair. You gave me a good quote now I've given you one. Pleasure doing business with you.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
upir lichy

i usually can entertain myself but after awhile it becomes to much to bare!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Versus

Quote:
By the way, land navigation takes more equipment then a map and compass.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
upir lichy

use the stars!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
Fruitbat

Quote:
Of course, after all it's only fair. You gave me a good quote now I've given you one. Pleasure doing business with you.
Thanks hun. The pleasure is all mine.

Versus, what else is used in land navigation - i've only ever used landmarks, map and compass.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
Versus

Quote:
Versus, what else is used in land navigation - i've only ever used landmarks, map and compass.
What if you had to tell someone exactly where you were? "I'm east of this", "I'm that far this way from that" doesn't tell them, it just narrows down their search pattern. If someone had to know exactly where you are because they can't spend time or resources looking for you, they would not be able to with just the things you have been using.

A protractor lets you plot your exact coordinates on a map, so you could say it turns guess work into a science.

Does that help answer your question?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
What if you had to tell someone exactly where you were? "I'm east of this", "I'm that far this way from that" doesn't tell them, it just narrows down their search pattern. If someone had to know exactly where you are because they can't spend time or resources looking for you, they would not be able to with just the things you have been using.

A protractor lets you plot your exact coordinates on a map, so you could say it turns guess work into a science.

Does that help answer your question?
That's just complicating things, you don't need a protractor to navigate (unless you're at sea). Telling people where you are isn't navigation, it's simply relaying information. Besides, I don't fancy the idea of standing in a field with a map in one hand and a protractor in the other, where would the compass go? My mouth? All you really need is a map for landmarks and obstacles and a compass for direction.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
Versus

Quote:
That's just complicating things, you don't need a protractor to navigate (unless you're at sea). Telling people where you are isn't navigation, it's simply relaying information. Besides, I don't fancy the idea of standing in a field with a map in one hand and a protractor in the other, where would the compass go? My mouth? All you really need is a map for landmarks and obstacles and a compass for direction.
Knowing exactly where you are, or something else is on a map is complicating things? That's retarded. Being able to communicate that information is a practical application of knowing where you are.

I'll try again, though. I want you to meet me at this building, but it's not marked on a map. Mission impossible? Obviously not. But how would you do it without a protractor?

Also, I find that carrying a map and protractor in the same hand is not a burden. However, I would recommend tying the compass to your person. And stuff.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈

I took courses on map reading and navigation in high school (ROTC) and I enjoy the fact that I am one of few (POSSIBLY) who could get practically anywhere with the right tools. One typical problem people need to be aware of when using maps and compasses are Magnetic North (MN) and True North (TN). Often this is what other students would mess up on when we had tests.
Most people use GPS but that only goes for so long, batteries die, connections get lost, technology fails. Crazy.
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #22
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈ View Post
I took courses on map reading and navigation in high school (ROTC) and I enjoy the fact that I am one of few (POSSIBLY) who could get practically anywhere with the right tools. One typical problem people need to be aware of when using maps and compasses are Magnetic North (MN) and True North (TN). Often this is what other students would mess up on when we had tests.
You're thinking Grid North, not True North. But yes, It's a perishable skill, for sure. This is a big part of my job, so it's pretty important that I know it well. I've seen a lot of people remember there is a point to the declination diagram, but not be able to remember when you add or subtract the difference. I know in places like Alaska the difference is 30 degrees or more, so it's fundamental to remember.

Quote:
Most people use GPS but that only goes for so long, batteries die, connections get lost, technology fails. Crazy.
A GPS is essentially a form of Intersection/Resection, where you find the coordinates to an unknown point by taking two or more known points (satellites instead of known land marks), shoot an azimuth from those points to the unknown (or from the unknown to the known points, in the case of Resection), and where they intersect on the map is unknown grid coordinate, which is relayed to you via the GPS. The same thing a protractor and compass do.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #23
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈

Quote:
I know in places like Alaska the difference is 30 degrees or more, so it's fundamental to remember.
Have you been to Alaska?
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #24
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈ View Post
Have you been to Alaska?
Oh fuck, I wish! It looks so beautiful there.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #25
Raptor

Quote:
But how would you do it without a protractor?
Why do you carry a protractor separately from a compass (if that's what you were saying)? I've always used a baseplate compass, then you don't need a separate protractor.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote