Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Duane

The Guitar Player thread!

Just a thread to talk about how long you've been playing, how awesome you are at guitar, what songs you can play, gear you use, so on so forth. This is not just for Electric, but for Bass, and acoustic, as well.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Haunted House

I've been playing bass for about 6 years. I could never pay for lessons so I'm self taught. People tell me I'm pretty good for being self taught, but I dunno. I play a black Schecter 004 bass. I'm currently replacing it's crappy active pick ups, though. I use a really old Jordan bass amp with a custom speaker in it. Cinema Strange and Rudimentary Peni songs are my favorite to play.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Duane

I play a BC Rich, and use a humongous VOX amp. I'm not too good, other than knowing 20+ plus chords, I really have no talent. Can't really play any songs, so I write my own, riffs, lyrics, yeah. I've been meaning to start a rigorous training regmine to improve.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Draconysius

Oh boy, an opportunity to gain masculinity points! I've been playing electric guitar about three years now. My axe is a Schecter 006 Deluxe, and the amp's a Marshall MG15CDR. It's pretty basic, but I get a lot of punch out of it and it's reliable. I'll be the first to admit I'm no guitar hero. I worry more about the music having feeling than speed. As for the songs I can play, I can play "All Your Sins" and "Sign of the Wolf" by Pentagram all the way through, as well as "Spritual Cramp" by Christian Death, a couple by Bauhaus, and even one by Nosferatu. Also a lot of Spirit Caravan, Sleep, and Black Sabbath. I love playing "Wicked World" and "Lord of This World" to no end.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Bete Noire

I play a Squier Tele custom II, or a Shine SIL-510, depending on what sort of tone I'm after. For acoustic I have A Brunswick electro-acoustic of some description.

As to what I play, I find I can do most types of metal really easily, but I find them boring, so in general I play a mix of blues, punk, goth, post-punk and the more interesting bits of metal.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
I play a Squier Tele custom II, or a Shine SIL-510, depending on what sort of tone I'm after. For acoustic I have A Brunswick electro-acoustic of some description.

As to what I play, I find I can do most types of metal really easily, but I find them boring, so in general I play a mix of blues, punk, goth, post-punk and the more interesting bits of metal.
You, sir, need to get this one:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...7/6/271476.jpg

It's what Frank uses. Hahahaha.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
TopHaggardDoll

Been playing guitar for 2 years...I'm gunna buy a bass soon too. I'm a much better rhythm player than a lead player, MEH! I don't play widdly music anyway.

I play fingerstyle guitar aswell took me months to learn how to use a pick because i'm lame. My girlfriend also always tells me off for saying that i'm shit at guitar......so...i'll pretend that i'm not for now.

I have an Epiphone G400 gothic...and i'm gunna get myself an Epiphone Wildkat and I think it's an XB3 bass...obviously Epiphone.
Yep, I'm a whore for Epiphone and effects pedals. I don't know what my amp sounds like without effects pedals...lol!

I play Drone Doom, Goth, Folk and Metal if i'm up for the challenge...good times.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
le_revenant

Let's see...
Guitarwise I've been playing since I was 16 and am in my mid-30s now.
I have a Yamaha acoustic (decent), a no-name late 80s guitar w/ reverse headstock (my first, with a few "upgrades" in it) that's actually decent, and an Epiphone SG w/ Bigsby trem that will do pretty well til I can get a Gretsch hollowbody or ProJet. I have a Crate 12" that is about set to go on the selling block b/c I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on layaway. I have 3 pedals (tuner, distortion, & delay) tho I'll probably also get an EQ at some point

Stylistically I've seen hair-metal come & go, grunge slush in & away, nu-metal arrive & mercifully go away; and whatever the latest trend is is irrelevant b/c I stopped paying attention to the latest "style to end all styles". Consequentially I grew up with & can play some 80s & 90s rock although lately I've been working on rockabilly guitar ala The Stray Cats. Even if a person listening doesn't know the song they usually get amused at hearing something so not everyday like rockabilly chord rhythms.

That all said, for the last 3 years I've been primarily a bass player, playing an Ibanez Soundgear thru my Ampeg 4x8 with a 200W Fender BXR head. Am looking to upgrade the bass to a Fender Jazz at some point when I have $$.
Stylistically I play fingerstyle along the lines of Led Zeppelin & 70s-era Rush but have picked up little things here & there like jazzy stuff & some ska with very little thumbslapping since its so cliche now. And just when people think they've got me pegged playing those styles, I'll break out w/ gothy bass stuff like Bauhaus' Dancing or The Cure's Primary & Fascination Street bass riffs.
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
bleedingheart344

I've been playing guitar for 5 years. My axe of choice is a Dean king V with a black and cream finish, amp setup is a crate GT-120 hooked up to a Marshall 120 cab, other axes are an ibanez bass, first act guitar, BC Rich Warlock guitar, and Ibanez art wood quilted ash Acoustic.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
You, sir, need to get this one:
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...7/6/271476.jpg

It's what Frank uses. Hahahaha.

Hehe

I'm sticking with my telecaster thank ye kindly:P
Old 01-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Tha Duckman

My guitars.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
Mir

Is that cute lil' baby guitar for real? I'm gonna post a pic my guitars in a sec.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
Tha Duckman

Yup. It's a toy I got from Argos, and circuit bent it. It does some pretty hardcore hair-metal solos now.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
Cen0bite

oi..ok.. where to start...
i started playing when i was 15 or 16.. my first guitar was a shitty fender squier ( however it's spelled) and a 25 (or 50..cant remember) watt Ibanez amp. i also have 2 Dean guitars in the $600-$700 range.
http://b8.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/0...09763008_l.jpg
that's one of them. unfortunately i dont have a pic of the other one, which sucks, cuz it's beautiful. it's blue, with a flamed maple top, you can see the wood grain, which is very pretty. umm.. i also have an LTD viper 400 w/ EMG pickups. it came in white and black..somehow i got convinced to get the white. http://b0.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/0...16509970_l.jpg

i also have this here
http://b6.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/0...39702026_l.jpg
its a Peavey JSX head and a 5150 cab. the JSX is also the one used (and i do mean, he used MINE. lol) by Michael Angelo Batio at a guitar clinic i went to a few years back. yeah, i feel special. lol.

i also have a Digitech GNX 3000, sadly no picture of that.

i also play classical guitar..not very well, but good enough.
i used to play guitar extremely well, taking private lessons and i could play really fucking fast. but my dad started getting too involved and i hated that so i just stopped playing, which i really regret doing.

i can play all of stairway to heaven, solo included. lol.
umm..i used to could play Another brick in the wall..
some jazz song called How High the Moon which took fucking forever to learn.
the standard black sabbath/deep purple/ac dc stuff you learn when first starting out. haha.
there's other stuff too, just can't remember.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
Mir

Due to insufficient lighting/crappy camera, the pics didn't come out as well as I would have liked but here goes anyway.

Guitars (Epiphone G-400 with Seymour Duncan pickups) and a stock Ibanez Arc-100.

Marshall MGDFX15 practice Amp. (I don't use this anymore, just run the guitars through the PodXT Live and regular 50 Watt speakers)

PodXT Live!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #16
Stormtrooper of Death

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years. My Dad gave me his first guitar and it became my first guitar, a 1965 Ventura SG in dark red. I play it through a Orange Thunderverb amp. I really love the tone of Orange amps. I've been playing bass for about 2 months. I got a Yamaha RX-170 for FREE from Wes and I play it through a shitty practice amp. I like playing bass a bit more than guitar, I don't know why. I want to buy a 1975 Gibson Maruader, but they are out of my price range.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #17
MOUSEBLOOD

I bought my first guitar and amp, a Carvin CM-140 and Carvin VT-312 amp, back in 1977 when I started a punk rock band. I upgraded the amp a few times over the years, but I played that same guitar for the next 20 years. I bought a Carvin DC-400 in 1997 and last year I picked up a Carvin DC-727. I like the way Carvin guitars sound.
MOUSEBLOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
Duane

I've been playing guitar for 3 years, but only really been practicing this year. Like I said before, I can't play any songs from some big famous band, or whatever, so I write my own. Points for writing original material. Hm, anyways, I've been looking to start a band, but not enough musicians in this general area...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #19
Mir

Maybe we could also share and discuss tablature, interesting chord progressions, ideas, Chordal theory etc?

18 posts and this thread is dead already. How many of you actually play guitar on a daily basis?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #20
stompyhank

I've been playing acoustic guitar for a few months now.. I lurrrve it and it's all I do in my spare time, but I'm not very good. Also, all I can play is Beatles songs, and I stink at rhythm, I prefer playing melody by a long shot.
stompyhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #21
stompyhank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
18 posts and this thread is dead already. How many of you actually play guitar on a daily basis?
I do. (:

I despise tablature, though. It seems to be everyone else's preferred method, but I prefer reading sheet music a lot more. I think it actually makes things easier.
stompyhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #22
Born Again

I've been playing guitar for 4 years now. I play a Martin acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, and a Gibson SG Standard with a Peavey Nashville 112.

I usually write my own music and lyrics, but I enjoy learning artists such as Metallica, Kansas, Led Zeppelin, and Alice in Chains.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #23
Bete Noire

Alice in chains are fun to play.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #24
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyhank
I do. (:

I despise tablature, though. It seems to be everyone else's preferred method, but I prefer reading sheet music a lot more. I think it actually makes things easier.

Share some interesting Chord progressions will you?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #25
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
Alice in chains are fun to play.

I agree. Dirt is one of my favorite albums of all time.