Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #126
Virulent Dryad

Last I checked they had a young girl singing for them. Or I could be thinking of someone else.
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:56 AM   #127
lena

Wow, this has been a very informative thread for me. I was thinking about asking the same question, because I like the female vocalists best, but dont know of many bands. That and my obsession with nightwish. So even though it wasnt intended for me, Thanks for all the bands, Im off to kazaa to download some songs and check some of them out.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 AM   #128
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena
Wow, this has been a very informative thread for me. I was thinking about asking the same question, because I like the female vocalists best, but dont know of many bands. That and my obsession with nightwish. So even though it wasnt intended for me, Thanks for all the bands, Im off to kazaa to download some songs and check some of them out.
Then go and legaly buy all the music you download, of course.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #129
pitseleh

Ok, so I finally found the site I've been meaning to post here for quite some time. I had the link before, but then I lost it.

Very good resource for heavy bands featuring women: Blood Sisters
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #130
Loy

Reading through this thread and I realised nobody has mentioned the three best bands with chick singers. Heathens!!!!

In Order-

1.Broadcast-images you'll get in your head while listening to Broadcast-Making out with the most enigmatically beautiful person in the room who smokes too much for hours and hours.....Andy Warhol's Factory denizens drinking absinthe with Cabaret Voltaire....that floaty feeling after laying in the grass for a few hours on a slightly cloudy day....scenes you wish were in "Quadrophenia".....I can't describe how much I love Broadcast.....
http://www.broadcast.uk.net/

2.The Epoxies-Why should you listen to the Epoxies? Let me count the ways.....1.They rock. They punk rock (and not in that "another cheap Descendents knock-off like every "punk" band on MTV", but like "playing straight from their heart and soul). They new-wave. You'll never hear a band like them, even though you'll be reminded of the 80's. 2.Very few bands have the same energy live as them. Trust me, Fugazi looked like a bunch of slackers in comparison. 3.Roxy Epoxy has a presence about her that makes every woman either want to jump her or be her...I haven't seen anything like that since Kathleen Hannah's Bikini Kill Days.
http://www.the-epoxies.com/

3.The Cranes-Ethereal and mysterious....two words that usually mean "estrogen fest that sucks unless you have a vagina" when describing bands. However, the Cranes not only capture everything about those words, they expand upon it. You can look at them as an extension of what the Cocteau Twins were doing, you can look at them as one of the two or three decent "goth" bands around, or you can just shut your eyes and allow the music take you into realms not normally explored without illicit substances and Terrence McKenna books......
http://www.cranes-fan.com/
Old 04-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #131
pitseleh

All those bands deserve a mention, so thanks for doing that Loy. I'm sure the Epoxies are awesome live (I've never seen 'em), but on record I gotta admit I think they're a bit tame, plus their sound is too slick for my taste. But good, definitely.

In looking back through this thread, I can't believe my only contribution is Ludicra. While they are good, I shouldn't have been so stingy with my recommendations. I'm just trying to guard my favorites from people not as "cool" as me, I guess...

Ok, jokes aside, here's some more:

Skarp - Filthy-as-fuck crust-punk band with razor-sharp guitars. I gotta give a shout-out to Pathogen. for recommending me this band, who has a sound that threatens to slice your ears off and a singer - Renee - that has an amazing mid-range scream that just... rules, basically. I can't believe how many hyphens I used in the first sentence, but this band is so worth it.

1905 - I guess you could call them "screamo", but they have acoustic tracks, pianos and all kinds of other stuff thrown into the mix. Tight, abrasive punk rock with dual male/female screaming one minute, then switching to this 90's indie-rock sound with sweet singing (kinda like early Rainer Maria) the next. Yeah, check out them too, by the way.

To What End? - More crusty hardcore, from Sweden actually. Political lyrics (of course), with a dark and despondent streak (again, no surprise). Brutal, driving, and a female vocalist that can scream nails clean through a wall. Yeah, there's a guy singing too, and he's good and all, but I would still count this as a "female fronted" band.

Damn, I thought I could do more, but turns out I'm real tired... Maybe another time.

Oh, and next person who mentions Nightwishit better do so with a sicilian smile.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #132
Temptation

some good bands with a female voice

Arch enemy
Evanescence
Elegeion
Within Temptation
Nightwish

theres more i just cant think of any at the moment.
Temptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:11 AM   #133
pitseleh

What did I just say?!! Those bands have already been mentioned a hundred fucking times, and are absolute shit.

Off with its head!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 AM   #134
Nike

d'oh pitseleh-not exactly your day today?

However, I don't like them much either.

Most of my favourites have been mentioned already...the Cranes, Siouxsie, ......

Lisa Gerrard has been mentioned already, I guess? If not - she shouldn't be missing. Liked her voice in Dead Can Dance, but I also love the stuff she did with Pieter Bourke, her solo stuff...

What about Sonja Kraushofer, lead singer of L'Ame Immortelle amd Persephone (Personally I like this project a lot more).

And what about Yvonne Elliman? I have to admit that I know her only from Jesus Christ Superstar and have never listened to any other stuff she was doing, but in Jesus Christ Superstar she was brilliant. Exspecially in the musical version. "I don't know how to love him" is one of my favourite songs.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:07 AM   #135
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike
d'oh pitseleh-not exactly your day today?
Hehe, not really, no... It just so happens that when I've been denied the opportunity for a relaxing smoke for a couple of weeks, the part of me that's a mean, grumpy, cynical bastard comes out.

But still, I hate it when people post things in a thread that have already been said several times. It just shows that they can't be bothered to go back and read any of the previous replies. Especially when you have newbies who just throw out a list, with no explanation at all as to why they like them, and zero acknowledgement of previous posts.

Be that as it may, I agree with your choices 100 percent. Lisa has been mentioned once or twice, but nowhere near as many times as those bands I reacted so viciously to. I love her solo material too, especially the "Duality" album.

I will have to check out those last two you brought up, though. I've never heard them before.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 AM   #136
ECAkeris

ok, in no order and of no particular genre, as you stated none:

Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Creatures
Switchblade Symphony
The Cranes
Xmal Deutschland
Cocteau Twins
45 Grave
Pilori
Android Lust
X-Ray Spex
P J Harvey
The Concretes
Nouvelle Vague
elastica
Portishead
Ladytron
Faith & The Muse
Black Tape For a Blue Girl
Dead Can Dance (some, lead is shared between a man and a woman)
The Dresden Dolls
Blondie
Bjork
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Tori Amos

That's all that comes to mind, and I know that some of these have been said before, but I feel that it makes it easier for the reader to try new music if it's in list which has familiar bands in as well
ECAkeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #137
Haunted House

Can't go wrong with Xmal or The Banshees. Hah.

The Naked and The Dead
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=129523

Scarecrow
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=130196

Both are great.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #138
DenieD

what about Exilia? Lacuna Coil?
DenieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #139
Morrigan_Dubh

Jesus wept.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #140
Dendura

Female Singers

Greetings everyone!
My name is Avery and I am The Temple Coordinator for the
Egyptiany horror themed female prog rock band Dendura.
They just released their debut cd "New Life" and have their
music in alot of movies. The singer is Egyptian and they use
that in their music often (hear Isis) and she goes from haunting vox to aggressive. The guitarist does alot of solos and shredding riffs and their bassist has a real technical / percussive approach to his playing rounded out by their drummer who brings a tribal and aggressive feel. If you like
Faith No More, Portishead, Nevermore, Dream Theater, and Middle Eastern Music, you'll probably like Dendura. Their music is heard in the film "Broken" at www.broken-movie.com
Just at least check them out at www.myspace.com/denduraband
www.dendura.com
Dendura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #141
Balthazar Black

What about Zombie Girl, the seems to be doing well?

Switchblade Symphony
Ayria
Cocteau Twins
Xmal all have good female vocalists.
Balthazar Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #142
lena

I posted a while ago, that I was going to check some of these out, and I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that posted the ones I like.

Lacuna Coil
Miranda Sex Garden
Within Temptation
After Forever
Inkubus Sukkubus
Theatres Des Vampires
Flowing tears

Again, Thank you!

p.s. morrigan, yes I did pay for them.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #143
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
I'm sure she's been mentioned, but Brody Dalle of The Distillers.

Plus she was married to Rancid singer Tim Armstrong, and Rancid kick ass. Also, Joan Jett.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #144
crimsonjoy

My favorite female singers are:

Exene Cervenka from X
Marianne Faithfull
Billie Holiday
Bif Naked
Debbie Harry from Blondie
Mira Aroyo and Helen Marnie from Ladytron
Siouxsie Sioux (of course)
crimsonjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #145
quiescence13

Most of the good ones have been mentioned already... Xmal Deutschland, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Switchblade Symphony, Tori Amos, Inkubus Sukkubus, The Dresden Dolls (although The Dresden Dolls definitely isn't for everybody)....

Katzenjammer Kabarett is good one. You can legally get ten or so free songs off of their website, too. I'm not sure if anybody's mentioned Black Ice or Rasputina or Jill Tracy yet? For metal, I like Lacrimosa and Trail of Tears. On occassion I'll listen to Lacuna Coil. scarling. can be good too. Maybe even Jack Off Jill if you're into that kind of music.

If you do listen to Evanescence, at least listen to their old music (before Fallen). It's... much better, to say the least.
quiescence13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #146
Somber Illusions

Jack Off Jill
Flyleaf
The Birthday Massacre
Alanis Morrisette
Jewl (music is very poetic)
Claire Voyant
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #147
Shelley/Stoker

Definately Siouxsie from Sioxsie and the Banshees.....
Shelley/Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:12 AM   #148
Crimson_Terror

1.Die Form
2.The Dreamside
3.Otep (if you're into deathmetal)
Crimson_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #149
Death101

Without a doubt, the most interesting, unique, and coolest sounding female led band has to be Screaming Daises. Imagine this: take a heavy, deep, melodic sounding metal band, remove the extreme vocalist singer, then in his place put two Puerto Rican girl singers. What you get is melodic metal with Puerto Rican vocals. That my friends, is the Screaming Daises.
Death101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #150
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
As far as I know the only one not mentioned is Jill Tracy, find the song Evil Night Together it's amazing and it's on Projekt's A Dark Cabaret compilation.
I beleive it is possible to download the song from the Projekt website
www.projekt.com - sorry I forgot html
happy_dude is offline   Reply With Quote