Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Deadmanwalking_05

Contractors outnumber full-time workers at DHS; lawmakers 'astounded'

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/...tor/index.html

By Jeanne Meserve, CNN
February 24, 2010 2:07 a.m. EST

The Department of Homeland Security has more contractors working for it than full-time employees, a situation two members of Congress said Tuesday was “unacceptable, untenable and unsustainable.”

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, the chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, and ranking Republican Susan Collins said they were “astounded” to learn there are more than 200,000 contractor employees at the department.

The civilian work force of Homeland Security numbers 188,000, according to an estimate provided to the senators by Homeland Security...

http://www.infowars.com/contractors-...ers-astounded/

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Heretic

*shrugs*

You want smaller government? This is what you get. Just like so many private companies have discovered, no matter how much overhead you want to save by simply laying off your employees, the work still needs to get done. If you are unwilling to re-hire full-time employees, your only choice is to farm the work out to freelancers.

My question is: how much of this contract work is clerical, and how much involves serious law enforcement-style activity? If those contractors are simply handling food service, janitorial, and minor clerical duties, I could care less about how many of them are being used.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote